Thread: So many river closures...

Arrow So many river closures...

So a friend and I were going to go fishing in ship creek, only to realize that its closed to all fishing, then we were going to fish on the little susitna but apparently its closed to?

I really don't want to go down to the kenai/russian rivers beacuse I hear its the front line of combat fishing. So I was wondering if there are any places within about two hours of anchorage that we could go fishing for non-king salmon(regluar or landlocked) or Trout. I bought this book that catalogs a tonne of lakes but I was wondering if anyone knew about a spot that was paticularly good? Beacuse out of the hundreds of places the book lists, im fairly certian that alot of them are outdated, since the book is rather old.

I have a 4wt and 8wt fly rod.
    My friend has a 5wt and a 8wt.

We dont have a boat but we do have waiters.

Any comments are good comments!

--Chris

Default Hit the salts...

Those books have good stuff, and you can usually trust the recommendations even though they seem to be old. Most data is fixed and built on historical archiving. Yet I do hope the locals chide in; they always represent the best pulse to the heartbeat of catching fish.

When I make it to AK, and since I'm a commuter from the Lower 48 with limited time, I usually hit a charter at sea in such circumstance. Granted, you might not want to do it if you are local and on the skinny, but if you are already booked and from out of town, the charter is a viable option.

It a tough year in some spots, yet other spots have been manna from above. (take six reds on the Kenai if you can stand the frenzy) That's AK for you, and that's always the challenge...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

I would go to the Russian and get Reds, this is a great year for them, and the combat fishing is really not that bad. If you go to the mouth where the ferry is, then it will be absolute hell. But if you go to the campground and park and walk down you will be in just as good of fishing and not nearly as many people.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

You might consider trout fishing in the weeks to come. The kings that did make it by to spawn will be dropping eggs soon. The rainbows, dollies, and even grayling in some streams will hang with them to much on the eggs. Get some beads, indicators, weights, and learn how to fish them. Please leave the kings alone to spawn though. Most every stream on the Parks will be worth a try. Some are easier to access than others.

A float tube will get you into lake fishing. There you can find solitude. If not for this year you might consider it for next year. They really extend the season.

By all means give the Russian a try at least once. Head up rivera dn you can get into some pretty decent trout fishing as well with egg patterns and more tradition nymph.

Get out and check out some of those spots for yourself and enjoy the exploring experience.

Sorry no secret spot help here.

Gook luck.

AkGunner

If you can get a float, I havent fished it, but was scouting around and found a trooper back by Long Lake in Palmer. He told me that the fines start out big on that lake. It is catch/release only, single hook, but he told me it was full of trophy bows. It would be under a hour from Anchorage, just off the Glen Hyw. I think if you just tried to fish it from the bank you are going to have very little room to work with. Has a walk way down to the bottom and I believe there is only a few feet to fish from. I did ask him if waiters would work and he said that it drops pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by nategr View Post
    If you can get a float, I havent fished it, but was scouting around and found a trooper back by Long Lake in Palmer. He told me that the fines start out big on that lake. It is catch/release only, single hook, but he told me it was full of trophy bows. It would be under a hour from Anchorage, just off the Glen Hyw. I think if you just tried to fish it from the bank you are going to have very little room to work with. Has a walk way down to the bottom and I believe there is only a few feet to fish from. I did ask him if waiters would work and he said that it drops pretty fast.

Yeah I already know about long lake, I found out about the drop off the hard way. I never knew the purpose of waiter belts until I ended up going over my head in water and then I had to grab a rope that my friend held out for me. As it turns out the belt helps prevent water from flooding into your waiters.

I didn't know they had trophy bows there.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

You could hike to Symphony lake for grayling or to Rabbit Lake for trout with your light rods.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    You could hike to Symphony lake for grayling or to Rabbit Lake for trout with your light rods.

On a thread in the fly fishing section one of the other members were talking about how the trail to symphony lake was closed for some reason, But I am going to try rabbit lake, im not sure how long the hike to get there is however. It couldnt be that bad right?

--Chris
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

7 miles.
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...ail/LakeID/357

Another Idea is to target Pike. They have canoe rentals at the nancy lake state rec area, which could make for a good weekend. Or in town you could head over to Sand lake and try for pike from shore.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Hike

If you are up for a hike there are a lot of great places to fish here on the Kenai. Crecent Lake for grayling being one of my favorites.