Thread: 338 WM Brown Bear loads.

Default 338 WM Brown Bear loads.

I was thinking about working up loads for my 338 WM for Brown Bear. Does anyone want to share some of their favorite loads?

73.o gr H4831SC, Fed 215, 250 gr NP.

I load the following for my brothers Remington .338WM with great results.

Winchester brass
    CCI 250 primer
    H4831 @ 68.2
    Nosler Partition 250gr
    COL 3.320"

In his rifle this length is .020 off the lands in measures 2661fps. I loaded to this velocity because his scope is set up with yardage dials to match the ballistics of retail Federal Premium ammo loaded with Nosler 250gr Partitions at 2660fps. We tweaked the COL for best results in his rifle.

More powder and velocity was available, no signs of excess pressure was noted. This load has taken several Moose, Caribou, Dall sheep, Goat, Black and Brown bears over the past 18 years.

Just a quick note, Nosler lists 71.5gr of H4831 as a max load. There may be some fudge in that number but work up carfully.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Just a quick note, Nosler lists 71.5gr of H4831 as a max load. There may be some fudge in that number but work up carfully.
    My old Hodgdon manual lists 76.o as max.

Nosler has THE LOWEST max charge for 250 & H4831 I've ever seen.

Do practice safe handloading procedures as each rifle is different . . .

Edited to add: And I've chrono'ed this at 2,650 fps, so it's not excessive in the velocity dep't.
    Last edited by L. G.; 07-01-2009 at 14:10. Reason: . . . .

It's good to check several manuals when deciding on a starting load. Of course different bullets have different bearing surface and construction so max loads vary amongst manuals and bullet selection.

Interesting that our loads are so different, (4.8gr) and your clocking 11fps slower over the chrony. Goes to show that loads are definitely tailored to an individual firearm.

The Barnes manual is probably the worst example I've ever seen. They are out of the ball park on the 375H&h and 375 Ruger. This morning I had case head swelling with new brass at less than their max load in a .308Win. I'm thinking about using their book in my next camp fire.

A quick check in the library:

Max published loads

Barnes 65.0
    Hornady 75.3
    Nosler 71.5
    Sierra 72.0
    Speer 71.0

These are with each companies own bullets and H-4831. Individual results will vary. Some hand loaders may do well above max in their firearms, only careful testing will determine that. I've loaded hotter than published in a few rifles with good results but I didn't start at that charge.

Latest Hodgdon 250gr data shows 71.5 as a compressed load?

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Default 225 partition

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=338cal&s=380

I'm shooting neck sized Rem nickle brass trimmed to 2.494. Seating the bullet to MOAL becuase it fits in the mag of my Mod 70.

Fed 215 primers & IMR 4350.

I'm sitting at 1/2 grain under MAX listed charge and for whatever reason I'm sitting on Max published velocity AND shooting sub 1" groups @ 100 off the bench. Haven't had the chance to run this at distance, but that's coing very soon.

I have 1 pound of this lot # of 4350 left and it's not for sale, not no way, not no how!!!!! It don't even get shot until it's time to kill something. I verify zero and go hunt. But I'm still running 2500 + shots a year out of the gun. Hafta keep the ol girl happy some how.

FWIW max charge gave me 2998 to 3002 fps and and blew the 5 shot groups all the way out to a horribly unacceptable 1 1/2 inches.

For the numbers freaks out there, I now have a 225 that hits harder than a 250 at reasonable hunting distances...

Reloader 22 is another powder I'd highly recommend. same components and measurements with 74 grains RL 22 gave me 2774fps and MOA groups at all reasonable hunting distances and much much further.... MY GUN didn't show pressure until 76.7 grains. But I wouldn't start there if I wuz you. I never ran RL 19 but Dad did and I have his data, can look it up if you want me too.

I can dig for my 250 Sierra and 250 partition loads if you're interested in that bullet weight. 250 grainers liked my gun at between 2650 & 2675 fps.

Just bought 250 225 accubonds, so I'll be working on those now too. If they work out, I'll drop the coin on a bunch of them. Not telling where I'm gettin them until I get my stock built up!! but it looks alot like bivwak.com.

shoot me a PM if you wanna talk 338WM some more. 25K rounds between 2 rifles in the last 18 years and I'm still figureing things out...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

67 grains H 4350,
    250 grain Honady RN,
    CCI 250,
    Crimped inta tha grooves.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Here is a good shooting set up for long flat shots.

Nosler 200gr Accubond
    RL19 @ 73.1 grains lightly compressed.
    Winchester brass
    CCI 250 primer
    Head to Ogive measurement is 2.678” .103 off of rifling in brothers Rem 700 .338WM
    Cartridge overall measurement is 3.362”
    2900 feet per second

Default Just a thought....

Work up a few different loads. Do the math on actual velocities and shoot whatever gives you the most energy and best accuracy with a 225 grain or heavier bullet.

Personally, I want to be under 100 yards when I pop the primer and preferably under 75.... OK, I'll just say it... regardless of if I'm chasin Mr. Brown Bear with my 338 or my bow.... I want to be inside bow range for the first shot. Primarily chase them with the bow, so my opinions on huntin them with a rifle might be way off...

Call me crazy (most do) but that's what I want. IMHO brown bears aren't a long range affair, until they have taken lead... then it's game on.

I shoot the 225's partitions because they're more accurate in my rifle AND they hit harder than the 250 partitions do. In my gun anyway.... I don't change loads for anything... One rifle, one load for everything from
    p-dogs to dinosaurs.

SO, I'll say it again... work several loads w/ different powders & bullets and see what the numbers tell you.

All the info you've been given here is a great start, now we just have to figure out what your rifle is going to like.

Default 250 X and .....

I have been shooting the 250 grain Barnes X for a long time with good results. RL19 has worked ok for it and the 225 grain Barnes X bullet. How much powder you use is up to your gun and you.

Thumbs up 338 wm

Great rifle for Alaska........really like the 225gr Nosler Accubond and Barnes TSX with 75.1 of Reloader 19 using a WLR primer in WW cases.

Thanks for all the information. I picked up some 250 grain nosler partitions this weekend. Hopefully my rifle likes that bullet.

Default mag loads

"THE" most IMPORTANT thing... when it gets right down to pulling the trigger on a BIG BROWN.... Did shooting those big 250s make you flinch ?? Are you afraid of the gun from the bench work ?? I am NOT dissing the 250s in any way... I just could not take the extra recoil they provide !! Shooting the 225s is a whole lot easier on the shoulder and your mind. Some wizard is going to say.. well, you don't feel the recoil when it is time to take the game. Let me tell you... you are what you eat. You do what you practice. If you are flinching at the bench......... fullcurl09

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcurl09 View Post
    "THE" most IMPORTANT thing... when it gets right down to pulling the trigger on a BIG BROWN.... Did shooting those big 250s make you flinch ?? Are you afraid of the gun from the bench work ?? I am NOT dissing the 250s in any way... I just could not take the extra recoil they provide !! Shooting the 225s is a whole lot easier on the shoulder and your mind. Some wizard is going to say.. well, you don't feel the recoil when it is time to take the game. Let me tell you... you are what you eat. You do what you practice. If you are flinching at the bench......... fullcurl09
    I think that's right.

I'm convinced that we do feel the recoil, and hear the noise, and each has it's effect, when we shoot at game, even in self defense.

It's just that we don't usually REMEMBER, and that gives rise to the belief that it's not a consideration.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.