Thread: Any one shooting the Newtons?

Default Any one shooting the Newtons?

Hi

I'm new to this forum and wondered if anyone where shooting the Newtons.

I'm in the process of building two Newton chambered rifles, one .30 Newton and one .40 Newton.

I live in Norway, and here the cartridges are practically unknown. So I wondered if anyone had any experiences to share.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, good to have you.

Those are some pretty obscure calibers in this country, also. I've shot the 30 and 256 and loaded ammo for them but haven't seen the forty. If it is the same case as the 30, it would be a good one. Do you have a source for brass over there? I think there is a maker here that produces it but it is in short supply. The parent case for the 30 is the old German 8x68, with some changes. I made my own series of newton wildcats on the 9.3x64 case. A slightly better design in my opinion but it too is very hard to find. We have a case for the 376 Steyr, by Hornady here, that is the same base size but shorter at 60 mm, 2.362". I have necked it to 30 and 338 and to my new 40 (.411").

I've had two companies here in the U.S. make headstamped brass for me, Quality Cartridge and Jamison International, this could be an option for you.

The Newton rifle company is long defunct but I think the original designer for the 30 Newton called it the 30 Adolph Express, by Fred Adolph. There is some good Newton history on the web. Good luck with the rifles and let us know how they work for you.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Here is a link to another post about Newtons.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=42745

Some good info there.

In my book Bolt Action Rifles, revised edition, originally by Frank DeHaas, Wayne Van Zwoll states, erroneously I believe, that the Newton calibers were based on the 404 Jeffery case. This is not the case (pun intended). Fred Adolph was an immigrant form Germany and an excellent gunsmith. I believe it stands to reason that he brought up the idea of the German 8x68 case for the original 30 and the others followed. It was likely Charles Newton's idea as he was searching for a large case to boost velocity as he had done with the 405 Winchester and the Sharps calibers by necking down to get velocity. The only rimless case in this country was the 30-06 and the rimmed cases. Charles newton designed the 22 Savage Hi-power (from the 25-35 case) and the 250 Savage, here again named with his bore diameter not groove diameter as are all his calibers. I am curious about his cartridges and would like to see a reamer drawing of your 30 and 40 Newtons. Could you post a copy of those for me?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I guess the Newton cartridges are somewhat rare in the US too. To bad, as they are some of the best designed American cartridges ever, if not the best. Unfortunately there are lots of wrong information out on the the Newton cartridges.

The best source for correct information is the Bruce Jennings book: Charles Newton-The Father of High velocity. Bruce Jennings spent a lot of time collecting Newton rifles and information. But more important, he was not only a collector, but also a shooter and gained great knowledge friom that.

The Newton case is not based on the 404 Jeffery, but not on the 8x68S case either. It is based on the old german 11,2x72 Schuler.

But 8x68S brass can be used to form .30 Newton cases. I have some that I will use when I get the rifle finished, not to long now. It's a whole lot of work to form them. QC and Jamison have promised to make brass a long time, but they fail to deliver. I have some original Western and Speer brass, but it is very hard to get. So I'm always looking for more. It is possible to use .338 WM brass too. The formed case chambers on the shoulder and not the belt. The belt centers the case in the chamber, and will be flattend when fired.

I don't have any drawings of the reamer for the .30 Newton. I borrowed it from a good friend who has great knowledge of the Newtons and shoots several of them. It's an original reamer from the factory.

I have a drawing of the .40 Newton reamer, but it is an excel file. Send me your e-mail adress and I will send it to you. The .40 Newton was made by necking up the .35 Newton case. The .400 Niedner and .400 Gipson are the same, just different names. For my .40 Newton I am going to use .375 Ruger brass. The Ruger case is very similar to the Newton, a bit longer and the shoulder more forward.

Charles Newton was a ballistic genious, and well ahead of his time. He took out a patent for a bonded bullet around 1920... The Newton cartridges are very well designed. The .30 Newton will outperform a .300 WBY. I have some reloading data: 180 grs bullet, 77,3 grs R22, 3339 fps, 63900 psi, Western brass. This is shoot in an original Newton rifle with a 24" barrel.

So it is to bad that these cartridges have become obsolete. Compared to the .300 WM and .300 WBY and the other 30 magnums, the .30 Newton is superior.

Default Some pictures of Newton cases...

From left to right:

11,2x72 Schuler, somewhat obsolete now, there's a good article about in Hatari Times No 7.

.416 Newton, formed from .375 Ruger, performance like a .416 Rigby

.40 Newton, formed from .375 Ruger, close to the .416. And old load says 300 grs bullet, 69 grs Dupont "10, 3042 fps.

.35 Newton, well who needs a .375...This one delivers more.

.33 Newton, necked up .30 Newton. Like a .338 WM without the belt.

.30 Newton. The original.

.280 Newton, necked down .30 Newton. A really interesting wildcat, very close to the 7mm STW.

.276 Newton. Made from a .300 WM case. An experimental round, like the british military round, .276 Enfield.

.256 Newton. A very good 6,5 mm.

.22 Newton. Necked down 7x57 case. It used a 90 grs .228 bullet.

There was also a .270 Newton, not made by Newton himselfe, but by Speer. If anyone should have a case to spare, I would be interested.

Also there are some wildcats like the .375 Gipson, .400 Gipson and .400 Niedner.

There was also an experiment .450 Newton, 500 grs bullet, 3000 fps...
    Last edited by .40 Newton; 07-01-2009 at 11:32. Reason: wrong spelling

Default Some more pictures..

From left to right:

.416 Newton
    .40 Newton
    .400 Niedner
    .400 Gipson
    11,2x72 Schuler
    10,75x68

If anyone has any field experience with the Newtons, I would be interested to learn about it.

Also, still looking for cases, especially the .270 Newton.

Default Experiences with the Newton rounds.

Hi again guys.

I'm still looking for anyone who has some experience in using the Newton cartridges.

I have a lot of info, books and articles, but unfortunately there not very much written on using these rounds for hunting.

I know these are obsolete now, and have been so for quite a long time. But still, I hope there are someone who has been shooting with them.

Thanks.

Default .30 Newton brass update

There has been a rumor of late that Jamison might run a batch of 30 Newton brass this year. As of last week they were still undecided, or at least unwilling to commit. If you’re a 30 Newton shooter looking for brass give them a call or e-mail and let your wishes be known! I understand they will be making a final decision soon.

Email: jamisonintl@rushmore.com
    Phone: (605)347-5090
    Fax: (605)347-4704

Jamison International VLLC
    3551 Mayer Avenue
    Sturgis, South Dakota 57785 USA

There is an older book titles "Alaska Yukon Trophies won and lost" its about a guided hunt from Alaska in to the Yukon sometime after WWII if I remember correctly. The author was shooting a couple of Newton rifles in it and talks about their performance on game a little bit. Interesting read, makes one wish they could go back in time and experience long term hunts like that.

Default 35 Belted Newton

I have a model of 1917 eddystone action in 35 belted newton. Parent case is 375 H & H necked down to .35 and trimmed to length. This rifle was built by a long time friend of the family and has taken all of Alaska's game. I'm told it's very accurate but have not shot this gun myself.Some photos on my page.
    toklat3

Toklat3, I have sent you a PM.

broncoformudv: Thanks for the link to the book, I will try and order it.

iofthetaiga: I have been in contact with Jamison on a couple of occasions, and for now they won't produce brass.

Quality cartridge has also promised to produce brass, but nothing so far.

Hi guys, just another newbie, Elk hunting last week i ran across a beautiful old sporterized mauser in .276 EXP. Anybody know anything about it.

Default Newton cartridge data

Hello Newton Fans,
    Check out www.NewtonArmsCompany.com for Newton data. The site takes you to the Newton Rifle Cartridge Reloader Association, a cource of Newton cartridge history and hand loading data. Please send in any hand loads or pictures you may have as well, and it will be incorporated.
    Hope this info helps.

I have a question for you. You have a .280 Newton in one of your pictures that you state is based on the 30 Newton. This is the first time I have seen this referenced. The reason it caught my eye is because I have a rifle stamped 7mm Newton. We formed a case in it and it measure out to a 30 Newton necked to 7mm. It has a .284 groove and is also stamped P.O. Ackley on the barrel. Do you have any other info on this caliber...or a line on a set of dies somewhere. Thanks for any info.

Hi

I guess you bought the barreled action that was on sale on Gunbroker?

The .280 Newton was a early development by Chas Newton, and it is the .30 Newton case necked down. Your version is the .276 Ackley Newton but it is the same as the original version. With todays modern powders, you should performance like the 7mm WBY.

As for my case, I got it from a guy who built a .280 Newton. He has since sold the rifle, Hornady made the dies. Maybe they still have the prints?

If you want any more info on your .280 or your .270 Newton rifle, send a PM or an e-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by .40 Newton View Post
    Hi

I guess you bought the barreled action that was on sale on Gunbroker?

The .280 Newton was a early development by Chas Newton, and it is the .30 Newton case necked down. Your version is the .276 Ackley Newton but it is the same as the original version. With todays modern powders, you should performance like the 7mm WBY.

As for my case, I got it from a guy who built a .280 Newton. He has since sold the rifle, Hornady made the dies. Maybe they still have the prints?

If you want any more info on your .280 or your .270 Newton rifle, send a PM or an e-mail.
    Thanks 40,

I shot an email off to Hornady to see what they say. I also sent you an email. Thanks for the help...and any info you can provide in the future.

Hi: I'm the guy who built the .280 Newton & Hornady did
    make the dies for it.
    Any questions, I would be glad to answer...email:
    bisonland@bresnan.net
    Best Regards,
    Tom