Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Socks

Default Socks

I have never found socks that I like. So my question is what type and brand you guys have found that you like or dislike.
    I know different socks for different activities. So I would like to know what you use for what you are doing and why.
    Thank you for the info.

Smile Smartwool

i use a thin nylon liner--fall/winter--and a thin silk liner(brand does not matter to me on the liners)--spring/summer---i then use SMARTWOOL of varied thicknesses--through trail and error i have become a SMARTWOOL advocate(i think i will not be the only person making this comment)

Default Lorpen

I like the Lorpen sock with liner. I brought a pair of these and 2 pr of smartwool socks last year on my sheep hunt. The lorpen was more comfortable.

I'm also trying out a pair of wigwam socks right now. These are mostly synthetic with very little if any (can't remember now) wool. They seem to stay drier during my hikes.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by ezmarsh View Post
    i use a thin nylon liner--fall/winter--and a thin silk liner(brand does not matter to me on the liners)--spring/summer---i then use SMARTWOOL of varied thicknesses--through trail and error i have become a SMARTWOOL advocate(i think i will not be the only person making this comment)

Question chocolate/vanilla

lol---i have tried Lorpen ---nothing bad to say about that brand,just like the Smartwool better----lots of room for debate and individual preferences!!!

Anything made of Merino wool.

Default Dude

Costco socks! I think they are merino. A little to warm for right now but use rest of the year for work and play. Snug fit. $10 for 3 or 4 pairs! Best I have used yet. Might only be able to find in the fall and winter though. There is two weights. The thinner is better and tighter fit. I bought the heavy one this year and they work, just slide down.

Smartwool=sucks, too slippery inside and moves way to much in the boot, for me anyways and way to much money!

Default Good sock threads...

Good sock threads...:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=50113
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=12500
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=275514
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=6132

+1 for SmartWools, or merino. I'm accumulating more merino in other garments too- great stuff if you sweat in cold weather. Had good luck with the Gore Tex socks from Cabelas too.

Thorlo Mountaineering sock with Thorlo Cool-Max liner socks...not sure if the Thorlo liner socks still around but the Mountaineering socks are.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

+1 for smartwool for winter, but for summer my favorites are Injinji Tetratsok Crew Socks

It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I have had great luck with the variety of Smartwools that I have used. Also, I have found liners worn under wool socks are 100% guarantee that I will get blisters. I have heard they are better *over* the wool sock, and I might try that some time.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Socks

Smartwool and the Costco merino wool socks, can't notice much of a difference in the two. For liner socks the Fox River Exstatic.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by LBZ42 View Post
    I have never found socks that I like. So my question is what type and brand you guys have found that you like or dislike.
    I know different socks for different activities. So I would like to know what you use for what you are doing and why.
    Thank you for the info.
    As some forum members have mentioned, The Thorlos Mountaineering Socks are with me when I try on new boots. I base the size of the boot exclusively on accomodating the thickness of this sock. They seem to last forever too. Combine that with a merino wool blend sock liner and you're in business. I beat myself up pretty hard hiking over 100lbs of gear to my remote property, attended mountaineering school, and have snowshoed through the woods with these socks and have yet get a blister.

First off let me say I am an avid fan of synthetics. I use them in all of my gear down to my exoficio boxers. The only instance when this is not true is my socks. It is not for lack of trying either! Over the last couple years I have purchased A LOT of different synthetic socks. In fact I am wearing U/A heat gear socks right now. I hate them! My feet feel like they are in a swamp all day in them, yes they are better than cotton but not if I can change the cotton once a day. If I take my shoes off after being outside in the heat for a short time my U/A socks dry rapidly but the moisture wicking property just simply doesn't work in boots or shoes unless they are mesh and there is a breeze strong enough to pass through the them.

I have read a lot on the properties of merino wool, including studies on the adsorption thermodynamics of keratin Yeah I read it but I am sure much of it (the math) was lost on me!!! Basically what I have found in reading and in practice is that poly works great in any situation where it can transport moisture (preferably in a vapor) directly to the atmosphere. This is were layering ***Properly*** not just putting on multiple tops and bottom but actually actively changing layers to suite your conditions is key. If you have too much clothing on the moisture vapor will condense in the outermost garment and your body heat will not be enough to drive it out of the fabric so it will get wet and heavy and stay that way not to mention lose some of it's insulating properties. This is where wool and in particular merino wool becomes more efficient. As it absorbs fluid (up to ~30% of its weight) it will eventually reach a point in which your body is heating the fluid and thus acting like a heat sink and actually cool you down. The flip side of this is that wool actually produces it's own heat through a process called "heat of sorption" now it doesn't technically "produce heat" but it does release energy in the from of heat through this process, like a battery of sorts. Yes I know these last statements seem contradictory!!.. I thought so too... From what I understand it is more about the amount of heat you are giving off vs the amount of additional heat produced chimically. Eventually your body temp overcomes the heat "production" of the wool making this added "heat" insignificant as it goes more toward evaporating the moisture. Look at it like this there is a static "heat" of the garment though heat of sorption, when your body temp is below that it aids the wool in warming you, when your body temp is above it your body aids the heat of sorption in evaporating moisture. Basically the wool works to produce a sort of self regulation climate, the thickness of the wool can help taylor this climate to your activity.

The problem with poly socks is that it transfers the moisture away from your foot super rapidly but has no where to go due to your boots. Since it can't actually absorb any moisture it gets saturated and your feet get clammy and wet. Remeber plastic (poly) is hydrophobic, it moves liquids through capilary action along the surface of the fibers in the material if it has no where to go you are wet! Merino wool is both absorbent and wicking it acts as a sort of heat sink to control the rate of moisture production and transport. Ideally the sock will work to evaporate your foots moisture at a rate that can escape your boot while slowing the overall amount of moisture your foot actually produces by regulating the temperature.

After all of that I am completely sold on merino wool. I am still playing with the different technologies that some companies are using to add elastic to the wool in certain areas and I may find something that improves on the basic merino, but I have no doubt that there is no material on the market today that compares at all!! Oh did I mention that it doesn't stinke!!!

Wow that was a long post, perhaps I should delete it and just say "I agree with Snyd..." or could hav just used this link...http://www.i-merino.com/comfort/breathable

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Anything made of Merino wool.
    ...and with the smallest/finest "loops" as you can find. Turn the sock inside out and check it out. And wear them against your bare skin.

I am considering ordering some point 6 socks to try out in the desert heat. Probably the light hikers then if I like them I will order a few pairs of the med wt for use back home.
    http://www.point6.com/home

thanks for all the info i tryed for 15 months over in Iraq to find good socks and went back to the ones the ARMY gave me the problem is i find a sock that keeps my feet dry and all that but they fall down and bunch up. but the ones they stay up stay up because they are wet and stuck to my foot. Just cant win.

I like smartwool and merino depending on what I'm doing. I swear by liner socks in most cases. They really help reduce rubbing and hot spots. Not a fan of Thorlo, they give me blisters more often than others I have.

My wife laughs at me because I have about 8 different pair of hiking socks that I jump back and forth between trying to find the ones I like best. Usually forgetting which ones I liked by the time I make the rotation and having to test them all over again. She sticks with her plane white cotton socks and is happy as can be.

Socks I like are the Wigwam and Bridgedale.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    She sticks with her plane white cotton socks and is happy as can be.
    This is what i allways come back to also i just dont get it with all these socks.

Darn Tough make some very nice Moreno wool socks. Bridgedale has some excellent liners.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Costco socks! I think they are merino. A little to warm for right now but use rest of the year for work and play. Snug fit. $10 for 3 or 4 pairs! Best I have used yet. Might only be able to find in the fall and winter though. There is two weights. The thinner is better and tighter fit. I bought the heavy one this year and they work, just slide down.

Smartwool=sucks, too slippery inside and moves way to much in the boot, for me anyways and way to much money!
    I bought 16 pairs last fall and they are 71% merino wool. They are awesome. I use them year round. For extreme cold I love the military extreme cold weather sock. They are thick 75% wool and 25% cotton. They are best when a polypro liner sock is worn with them.
    Now what ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast