Thread: herring vs. sardines for halibut bait

Default herring vs. sardines for halibut bait

Went to pick up some herring for halibut bait. Package said sardines. So I asked and they verified sardines (they were big like herring) and said they're better than herring because they have more oil (scent). Anyone have any experience with sardines??

Default sardines : love 'em

especially with hot sauce on a ritz!

Seriously though I have tried both and even added a chunk of salmon scraps to both. The herring always caught more for us.

Anchovies all the way baby!!!

Double hook rig with herring on top, squid on bottom is money Squid all the way

Whole herring and octopus. Nothing works better.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Whole herring and octopus. Nothing works better.

Have to say when bait fishing I agree. I usually try to stay with jigs as they produce more fish (tipped with herring will sometimes help as well).
    We always try to add octupus to the hook as well because the herring is easy to strip off but the octupus will keep them coming back.
    But, I never tried sardines so do not know if they would be better or not.
    Tennessee

I was on a boat in Kodiak last year and we were using a sardine on one hook, a herring on the other, almost everytime we brought up a fish it was hooked on the sardine.

I'm going to take some herring and some sardines and try them both to see which works best. When I use circle hooks, I usually put on herring and then a piece of salmon (salmon bellies). The salmon helps some holding on the herring because of the tough skin. I usually just use a jig with a piece of herring for scent. If I get definitive results, I'll post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I usually try to stay with jigs as they produce more fish.
    When the fish are aggressivly hitting jigs, THAT is the most fun a guy can have. You snag alot of halibut though. They put a great fight on jigs, especially the lighter ones.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I let other folks drop bait on my boat, I've found I catch alot more fish on jigs, and use lighter rods and reels so don't wear myself out. Sometimes I tip the jig with a small piece of herring.

The only time I've had problems with snagging buts on jigs is fishing a chicken hole with a leadhead and the fish trying the hide the jig under them. I swapped out to a diamond jig, once it would hit bottom I'd reel up 2 cranks, then 2-3 jigs and fish on.

Fresh Octopus is the best Halibut bait I have found, then herring, then sardines.

Steve

Does octopus or squid have much scent? Don't recall it stinking as much as herring but then again I've never held it up to my nose!

I like free bait like salmon bellies or gills with a few guts hanging on out of the fish dumpster or asking a person cleaning fresh salmon the night before heading out or fresh cod bellies. Stays on the hook well and always produces especially with a little butt juice or soak in herring oil. I've caught 3 or 4 halibut with the same free bait before using more or refreshing it.

Default jigs for me...

but then I've never been known for having anything resembling patience.... grew up catching everything from Crappies to snapping turtles and catfish on jigs.....

Not against bait, just isn't for me.... I like the feeling of a light bite and hammering the snot out of a big fish..... Or getting hammered and returning favor....

maybe my wife is right and I'm one of those aggressive personalities???

A little birdie told me a 354# Halibut was caught out of Homer yesterday.

octo is by far the best but I have found if you cut it up and leave it out for a day or two, so it really gets a good stink to it, it will out preform any other bait including fresh octo. I have done some testing on longlines in the past.

Take herring put it in a 5 gallon bucket, take sea salt put them in the bucket together, mix them to get all the salt on the herring and let em soak over night, AWESOME bait, it lasts and holds on, Take fresh codd and put that on after the herring and walaa! For bigger fish use red heads, and or carcasus, and salmon bellies!! and small codd heads for bigger ones!