Thread: Hunt test sounds recording

Default Hunt test sounds recording

Does anyone know if there are recorded tapes or cd's out there of common sounds at a hunt test such as duck calls, other dogs, gun shots that I could purchase and play on a stereo when I train my dog. I do use a duck call a lot when training her but I train alone and can only produce the duck call sound when I blow on it so it has conditioned her to get excited when she hears the call because she knows a bumper is comming. I also notice when I take her to a hunt test and the calls and shots are going off she gets really worked up because that is a lot more than she is used to.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Not that it couldnít help but sounds are only part of what is stimulating the dog. Smell and activity is much more exciting then the sounds. Just like gun shot in my neighborhood gets a mere ear lift but let the dog see other dogs running for a bird and Lucy is wild. Exposure to the hunt test environment will help the most. After a test, hang back behind the line, dog on leash. Let them watch. Depending on the dog, stay far enough away so that they donít interfere. Walk around the other cars, hang out. If you watch other seasoned trainers they hang out calmly before and after they run. How excited do you get? The dog can tell this is different. I found if I hang out with the dog I feel calmer as well. I get to find out what really amps her up. Throw her a couple of happy bumpers away from the test area- no training here just relaxing, per the rules.
    www.alaskadognews.com

Default nothing beats the real thing

Like Linda says....nothing beats the real thing.
    If you cant hang around the Tests, you need to find a way to get with others to simulate the testing situation.
    Is there anyone, neighbor children, spouse etc around when you train who can quack, shoot, and mimic the sounds of a judge calling you to the line?

I wish I had help. That is why I am asking for recorded sound. My wife isnt really that into it and most of my buddies are too busy doing other kinds of hunting and fishing this time of year (I dont blame them).
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

http://www.dogsafield.com/products.asp?dept=212

This may help.
    I've never used it personally, but I've heard the sounds on there by others that purchased it.
    My training groups are large enough to produce lots of excitement. During my group training we also say "Guns Up" "dog to the line" and all the other cues that a dog and handler will see at a test.

Have fun !!
    Happy Bumpers.

Baron

Arky......sent you a PM