Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Pet peeves...

  1. #1
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default Pet peeves...

    As an Alaskan, have you ever pulled into a campground and found most or all of the sites with "reserved" signs on them for a tour group coming through?

    Ever pulled into a site and then had someone pull in right alongside you and crank up the tunes (usually redneck stuff), or get stinkin' rowdy from booze as if you and other campers weren't even there?

    Ever had a another party ease themselves into your campsite as they and their kids encroach on your spot. I had some Mexicans do this with me a few years ago at Crooked Creek, and when I confronted them about putting their stuff on our picnic table, they went off on a Spanish tirade! I went and got the campground host.

    Ever try to get a spot on an Alaska ferry and find that it was booked by outastaters using it as a bargain cruise ship?

    Ever pull into a camp site and find that the previous occupants left all their garbage scattered around and broken glass everywhere?

    Ever notice that some folks can't restrain themselves from tree abuse (girdling, hacking, sawing, etc.).

  2. #2
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    pet peeves it is...


    as an Alaskan. i drove 400 miles today. and followed all the motor homes, travel trailers, and 5th wheels, headed to those elitist camp grounds reserved for others.

    every one was doing 45-50 mph in a 65mph zone

    each one hugged the yellow line so you could not see past their fat rear ends. each one sped up on the strait aways making it harder to pass


    and each one hugged the one in fronts bumper so you had to pass several at a time....


    hmmmm

    As an Alaskan i can see the benefit for those that see camping in camp grounds plugged with other people. i can see th benefit of a microwave, a TV and a genset...

    i can see the fun it would be to have HUGE gatherings and drink lots of beer...

    i can see the benefit of having the missus comfy at night...

    personally my idea of camping is so much .... er...


    LESS then all that... i mean right down to a tent made out of blue tarps... o a windy rock...


    you know ...

    to this date i have NEVER had any one complain about me toting my camping gear down the highway... never held anyone up.. or hindered their passage....


    have fun going to do what you do.... keep in mind there are folks behind you doing the same thing with less... let them by or at least ...



    do the speed limit...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  3. #3

    Default

    Not everyone drives 50 mph in their rv but do you know how bad the gas mileage gets when doing 65 in a motorhome?

    I have found that most of those that do drive 50 mphare tourists that
    rented their rv's in Anchorage and are sightseeing while driving to their next destination.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Matsu Valley
    Posts
    22

    Default

    I was camping in that small fishing campground just north of willow (forgot the name). Some jack wagon was actually cutting down a tree in the campground, and trying to burn it. I called the troopers, last I saw, he was writing him a ticket. Some people don't get it. If you wanna use a downed tree, fine. There was a downed 8" tree not even 30' from where he was camped too. I don't even bring my chainsaw camping, my axe, yeah... but if I can't drag it, I don't bother.

  5. #5
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JSinAlaska View Post
    I was camping in that small fishing campground just north of willow (forgot the name). Some jack wagon was actually cutting down a tree in the campground, and trying to burn it. I called the troopers, last I saw, he was writing him a ticket. Some people don't get it. If you wanna use a downed tree, fine. There was a downed 8" tree not even 30' from where he was camped too. I don't even bring my chainsaw camping, my axe, yeah... but if I can't drag it, I don't bother.
    That ticks me off to no end also. I hate seeing green trees in camp grounds all hacked up. Losers! Buy some fire wood and hack on that, idiots!
    A pet peeve I have of late is seeing shooters say over and over and over, ad nauseum: "it's a tack driver". Get a new expression!

  6. #6
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    One of mine for the shooting crowd,
    ever found an "impromptu shooting range" out on public land, off the road somewhere,
    and full of mind blowing level of trash, like appliances, stuff used for targets ??

    I don't even get it, why would someone want to shoot up old kitchen appliances, tv's and stuff,
    then leave it all there, shell casings, Everywhere ??

    Somehow I can't imagine how someone could go out, blow off a couple boxes of shotgun shells,
    and walk away from all that plastic laying on the ground ?? How could you do that ??Apparently quite a few can, once the first guy does, it now becomes legit ??

    doesn't even make me mad (as in, Pet Peeved) just astounded,
    unbelieving, like, "WHAT.........is this......... ?????"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

  7. #7
    Member akiceman25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    pet peeves it is...


    as an Alaskan. i drove 400 miles today. and followed all the motor homes, travel trailers, and 5th wheels, headed to those elitist camp grounds reserved for others.

    every one was doing 45-50 mph in a 65mph zone

    each one hugged the yellow line so you could not see past their fat rear ends. each one sped up on the strait aways making it harder to pass


    and each one hugged the one in fronts bumper so you had to pass several at a time....


    hmmmm

    As an Alaskan i can see the benefit for those that see camping in camp grounds plugged with other people. i can see th benefit of a microwave, a TV and a genset...

    i can see the fun it would be to have HUGE gatherings and drink lots of beer...

    i can see the benefit of having the missus comfy at night...

    personally my idea of camping is so much .... er...


    LESS then all that... i mean right down to a tent made out of blue tarps... o a windy rock...


    you know ...

    to this date i have NEVER had any one complain about me toting my camping gear down the highway... never held anyone up.. or hindered their passage....


    have fun going to do what you do.... keep in mind there are folks behind you doing the same thing with less... let them by or at least ...



    do the speed limit...
    To the rv drivers defense, I now own a 35 foot class A and while I used to get upset at the behaviors you talk about here it wasn't until I drove one that I understood.

    I now know they(we) drive less than the speed limit for several reasons the most important being safety. These rigs weigh in access of 15,000 lbs yet are pushed easily by the slightest of wind, possibly into oncoming traffic. The slower the rv is traveling the less distance it travels prior to the driver correcting the winds push.

    They(we) hug the yellow line because Alaska is known for having the bare minimal of shoulder on the road and to drop a tire over the edge would mean a catastrophe.

    They(we) speed up on straightaways because our rv's are not leaning top heavily as they do while cornering.

    The speed limit is just that, a limit, not a necessary travel speed. The law in Alaska is to pull over if you are slowing down 5 vehicles due to your slow speed. I'd like to think most abide by this law and if they do not then they should be dealt with just as a speeder, ticketed.

    To assume we are all headed to 'elitist campgrounds' to 'drink beer' in 'huge gatherings' is similar to saying all hunters are just killing to kill. I have never 'plugged in' or watched tv while camping. My family travels alone and camps alone in places some wouldn't drive their shiny new pick ups.

    My rv is a creature comfort and I've no doubt if you ever tried it.... You'd like it!

    As I lay in my king size bed at night listening to the rain hit the roof of my rv I can't imagine that laying on a sleeping pad under a blue tarp would be better, but to each their own.

    -akiceman25



    Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

  8. #8
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    One of mine for the shooting crowd,
    ever found an "impromptu shooting range" out on public land, off the road somewhere,
    and full of mind blowing level of trash, like appliances, stuff used for targets ??

    I don't even get it, why would someone want to shoot up old kitchen appliances, tv's and stuff,
    then leave it all there, shell casings, Everywhere ??

    Somehow I can't imagine how someone could go out, blow off a couple boxes of shotgun shells,
    and walk away from all that plastic laying on the ground ?? How could you do that ??Apparently quite a few can, once the first guy does, it now becomes legit ??

    doesn't even make me mad (as in, Pet Peeved) just astounded,
    unbelieving, like, "WHAT.........is this......... ?????"
    Bubba leaves trash on his "shooting range", beer cans on the trails; hacks trees in campgrounds and screams up and down rivers with no regard to anyone else. Does the same on trails. That is how Bubba rolls. Inevitably Bubba ruins it for everyone.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Matsu Valley
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Bubba leaves trash on his "shooting range", beer cans on the trails; hacks trees in campgrounds and screams up and down rivers with no regard to anyone else. Does the same on trails. That is how Bubba rolls. Inevitably Bubba ruins it for everyone.
    Yep, that ticks me off too. I am a shooter too, but I do NOT shoot at live trees. Can't say it's ever crossed my mind to tack a target to a standing tree and fire away. I am tired of seeing litter too.. Anybody in the valley been out to KGB road to the old bunkers? holy crap! Old cars, applicances, barrels, tv's, garbage.. you name it. There is a nice spot there where you can sight in 100+ yards, and the garbage, is well, overwhelming. sad.

  10. #10
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    One weekend along Montana creek in a locals only camping spot not on any maps, I learned that Alaskans don't own shovels. They prefer to poop on the ground for their dogs to run around in and eat.

    I spent three hours shoveling up and burying human waste so that we didn't have to worry about stepping in it the rest of the weekend.

    Reminded me of the old days at the Eklutna Tail Race where you had to walk though the human waste mine field between the parking area and the canal.

    Growing up in Nevada we never went anywhere without a shovel.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •