Thread: Rust

Default Rust

I have a .375 Ruger Alaskan and took it on a bear hunt this spring. About a week after returning, spots of rust have been popping up all over it. It has the stainless matte finish to it, and was wondering would I can do to remove it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I've used the erasers from an erasable ink pen, crocus cloth, very fine steel wool, and just plain old cotton cloth with oil, all to varying degrees of success, and all with different impacts on the finish. I'm not familiar with the matte stainless finish of the Rugers, but if it is truly just a bead-blast stainless steel, I think the pen eraser would be my first choice as there is absolutely no chance it will change the metal texture. All the other options except cloth and oil have a chance of polishing the matte if you're not careful. Go slow, use lots of oil and see what happens. And be happy it's not blued or Parkerized

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Oil, and fine steel wool.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks guys. Much appreciated!

I have used Turtle Wax Chrome Polish on My Model 700 many times with great results.

Bronze wool with Breakfree CLP worked on model 70 win for me.

RalphC

The best treatment in prevention by far that I have ever used is EEZOX.

It is not a petroleum based product, and not only forms a rust preventive layer but also serves as a dry lubricant. I have been using it for years and the only time I have ever had any rust was when I didn't use it.

Mountain View Sports in ANC had it last time I was there. ( I have no affiliation with them.)

How long does this stuff last? Do you spray it on or wipe it on?

Default another vote...

for the bronze wool from Brownell's and a deep penetrating oil.

Default Another vote for EEZOX

Been using the EEZOX for years and I am very satisfied with it, in fact when I moved to AK I brought a case of aerosol EEZOX with me in case it was hard to find. It is a very good protectant and lubricant for firearms. It also works well as a powder solvent. Several years ago I saw a stainless Rem 700 that was marked with rust spots, you couldn't feel them, but they were clearly brown stains on the rifle barrel. At the suggestion of a gunsmith he applied EEZOX daily and wiped clean until they were gone. I saw the saw guy at the store a few weeks later and he was very satisfied with the results.

I've used erasers, steel wool & oil, Scotchbrite & oil, rubberized abrasive pads, etc. to remove light rust from guns and think super fine steel wool with a generous amount of oil works the best on difficult spots of rust, but if it is more a stain then the EEZOX may be the ticket.

One more thought, since it is stainless you could bead blast the finish again and that would absolutely remove all rust from your Ruger. Just a thought.

xxxxxxxxxx

Lightbulb Look under the stock too!!!

Got to watch the stainless rugers. Either polished or blasted matte.They rust and they get those little black pits if you dont clean them up every day when your hunting. You better take off the stock and look under there too. I always hose mine down with c clip or some oil or something every day if im hunting. Its almost easier to keep a blued rifle clean. What I found works good is wipe it down with c-clip or tri-flow and let it air dry or wipe it dry then put a heavy layer of kleen bore on it. I cant remember actual name of it but kleen bore makes it and it is made out of beezwax and some other natural stuff. That makes a good barrier for hunting in the rain. It works great for a couple days in the field. It protects from the rain for a couple days anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreeze1981 View Post
    I have a .375 Ruger Alaskan and took it on a bear hunt this spring. About a week after returning, spots of rust have been popping up all over it. It has the stainless matte finish to it, and was wondering would I can do to remove it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    After cleaning, use Flitz Gun Wax to seal. It works awesome on everything!

Default it's ruined

probably won't ever be the same, I'm willing to take it off your hands for $200.