Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matsu Kings It gets worse

Thumbs down Matsu Kings It gets worse

Not like we didn't see this coming. I only hope they stop the commercial and set net operations as well.

Lets hope the silvers do better

With the King Numbers I saw in valley streams this past weekend it's probably a good thing. Fishing sucked on all creeks this past weekend.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Wow! that is huge

This should of happened way sooner then it did.....anyhow i'm glad too see dave rutz make the call.....

I have a feeling the russian is gonna be a little busy this weekend. This is something else. I hope this is the end of it.

Klickman

I was telling a few people at work, may have mentioned on here somewhere as well, that it was coming. Good call, its though this year because it is fun to catch those hawgs, and the 4th is a big money maker, but hopefully it will produce better runs in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticman View Post
    Not like we didn't see this coming. I only hope they stop the commercial and set net operations as well.

If they dont then i can understand people not following the law. I do not condone breaking the law but it has to stop for everyone.

As a yearly visitor to AK, I'm glad Fish & Game is managing AK's resources. No fish, no ysr_racer.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by klickman View Post

The odd thing is that I learned of this closure last Saturday about 5-5:30 pm, after a visit to Sportsman's Warehouse here in Wasilla...It was posted on their fishing reports chart to the right of the entrance door.

Within fifteen minutes of posting the closure here( http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=57681 ),
    I went to Alaska Outdoors Journal and the ADFG website and found no such evidence. Instead of asking an employee what the chart meant, I questioned the "closure of this weekend only fishery," and I deleted the post... I wondered if I had prematurely made a fool of myself, by "jumping the gun," and mixing up my information...Turns out I was right!

I'm glad you posted up to verify it..Thank you!

This may seem like a dumb question but does anybody think the flooding we had 4 years ago is the cause. What happened to the fish? Just over harvest, or enviormental issues? I am very curious to find out why the kings aren't returning this year.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by klickman View Post
    I have a feeling the russian is gonna be a little busy this weekend.
    Talkeetna and Clear Creek are gonna get hammered. Charters are moving their boats there today. Looked like a highway floatilla, all with guide stickers on the sides of the boats.

Shoulda happened sooner and it shoulda included all Upper Cook Inlet to include the Yentna, Talkeetna, Chulitna and Susitna Drainages. PERIOD, no if's ands or buts. Too politically challenging though, to protect the resource. The way I heard it, the lodges and guide services all have too many people already booked up for the remainder of the season and no one has the guts to do what is right for the fish. The almighty dollar trumps the fish....again.

Too Funny
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Too many age class's MIA..

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    This may seem like a dumb question but does anybody think the flooding we had 4 years ago is the cause. What happened to the fish? Just over harvest, or enviormental issues? I am very curious to find out why the kings aren't returning this year.
    This is more then one year single high or low water even... Four age class's are completely missing for kings accross South Central AK... There is definitly something not right in the ocean and these same inpact have been felt not just in AK, but into BC and the Pacific Northwest.

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    This is more then one year single high or low water even... Four age class's are completely missing for kings accross South Central AK... There is definitly something not right in the ocean and these same inpact have been felt not just in AK, but into BC and the Pacific Northwest.
    Actually, the reports I'm seeing for WVI fisheries and others for contiguous NW salt fisheries are looking pretty good right now.

PDO may be coming around in full force!

Default Definitly....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ball - Piscatorial Pursuits View Post
    Actually, the reports I'm seeing for WVI fisheries and others for contiguous NW salt fisheries are looking pretty good right now.

PDO may be coming around in full force!
    But how long will we have to wait... It all the reports hold true... There should be an improvement of in fall chinook 4 year olds this year and a ton of jacks. Remember for Alaska there will be a two-three year lag time in returning adults. So, next year in SC Ak we should see bunch of jacks and so and and so on... Could be three or four years tell there is a significant improvement... King runs are not made up of one age class but many.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Talkeetna and Clear Creek are gonna get hammered. Charters are moving their boats there today. Looked like a highway floatilla, all with guide stickers on the sides of the boats.

Shoulda happened sooner and it shoulda included all Upper Cook Inlet to include the Yentna, Talkeetna, Chulitna and Susitna Drainages. PERIOD, no if's ands or buts. Too politically challenging though, to protect the resource. The way I heard it, the lodges and guide services all have too many people already booked up for the remainder of the season and no one has the guts to do what is right for the fish. The almighty dollar trumps the fish....again.

Too Funny
    Politically challnging as it may be to also include the Yentna, Talkeetna and other Su drainages, given what this year has brought, it would be the right thing to do. Sure isn't much being caught in there anyway. And not only that, these areas are not the only areas that provide economical means to guides, lodges, etc. Many of these folks have already felt the impact of this year's season before the closures even began. I'm sure they could tell F&G a thing or two about how THEIR business' have been hurt, no reason to isolate certain areas only IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post

Too Funny
    I just got back from Clear/Talkeetna this evening. The Talkeetna was very clear on Saturday when I arrived. This morning it looked like the Copper River. It rose a few feet and looked like flowing mud. Many people were catching fish at the confluence of the two rivers, but many of them were small. This is due to the big ones spooling people or breaking them off in the big water.

Clear Creek was very low so there were no boats attempting to go upstream. The fishing seemed pretty decent though if you like to battle it out with everybody else. Those willing to make the effort to hike a ways will get some fish, but you will have company. Fish Creek was producing reds at the mouth and then it seemed like the run ended immediately on Monday. If you are camping at the gravel bar at the confluence take precautions with your food and trash. There was a sow with three cubs raiding people's tents.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

so i wonder with kings crashing all over the state....

how many are willing to give up and just NOT go fishing so they can recover....?

i for one am... have no intention of fishing kings down that way... nor on the KP.. there are easier ways to catch a few fish to eat. if nothing else... i will buy some.

or is it going to be melay madness.... over who gets first dibs?

i am betting on the later...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast