Thread: Kenai boat motor question

Default Kenai boat motor question

I have a 60/40 jet and was wondering if I was legal to run the kenai? If not what can I do to become legal for the kenai? The motor is an '05 yamaha. Would love to fish this river a couple times this year.

Thanks Chris

The motor is not legal. You can only have a up to a 50 horse. Even if you get it detuned to a 50 it still would not be legal since it is registered as a 60. bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    The motor is not legal. You can only have a up to a 50 horse. Even if you get it detuned to a 50 it still would not be legal since it is registered as a 60. bummer.
    Even with a jet? I thought that that made it a 40 and therefore legal?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I agree with moose. Thats what I thought just as long as I dont change anything. I dont see what the big deal is with a 60 motor 40 jet. I mean I have 40 at the jet they should let me run kenai. Need more opinions on this.

If I read the regs right on page 6 it says...

"Adding a jet drive to any motor does not change its
    equivalent propshaft HP rating. The
    maximum propshaft rating of outboards
    must not exceed 50 HP."

Sorry I know it's a bummer.

Default one possible workaround

Agreed, it's not legal. The only possible work around is the 50 & 60 Yamaha powerheads are the same, the only difference is some kind of control box. I would call Fish & Game and ask if you swap the control box it would make it a 50 horse power head there by making it legal. It's a stretch I know but it's your only option (short of selling and buying a 50). Good luck

Ok thanks guys. Thats what I thought.

Default Call DNR

As it is right now, the others are correct in your motor not being legal for use on the Kenai R. I don't think you'll have much luck with it, but if you want to try the work around that Dipnetter suggested, don't call F&G...it is not their regulation. You'll need to call the State Parks office in Soldotna (907) 262-5581 as the hp restriction is a DNR reg.