Thread: Fishing on Kenai river

Default Fishing on Kenai river

Hi everyone , Iím going to rent a cabin on the Kenai river (near Saldotna) first week of August. I would like to try for silvers. I will fishing from the shore. I need some advice about the techniques, tricks, strategies.Thanks in advance. Alex

Default August fishing from shore

Hello Alex,

I am expecting that you will have a great time during your stay in Soldotna. As far as catching silvers from the bank goes, much depends on where exactly the cabin is on the river and what kind of water is out back.

If there are areas of slower water with a good gravel base, and a depth of somewhere around 4 feet, you could try plunking eggs or drifting eggs under a bobber. If the water is a bit faster with little or no holding water, try casting spoons or spinners... you would want to cast at upstream at about a 45 degree angle and slowly retreive and the lure works down with the current. Many fish are caught at the tailout of the drift.

There will also be a very good chance of having some sockeye still in the area during that time. The spinners/spoons can also work for sockeye if the numbers are high (however the foul hook rate is very high), try flipping a coho fly, weighted just enough to touch the bottom on occasion.

So, all of that said, my best suggestion is to ask the owner of the cabin what works and where. They should be very much on top of things.

Good luck, be sure to post pics and a report after your trip.

Default Try up by funny river......

Quote Originally Posted by alexfedo View Post
    Hi everyone , Iím going to rent a cabin on the Kenai river (near Saldotna) first week of August. I would like to try for silvers. I will fishing from the shore. I need some advice about the techniques, tricks, strategies.Thanks in advance. Alex
    All depends on the year... Some years it is pretty good up by the mouth of the Funny R... All the lower river places are still a zoo with sockeye fisherman, so you know what they say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Where is the Funny River? Above or Below Soldotna?

Quote Originally Posted by parker View Post
    Where is the Funny River? Above or Below Soldotna?
    Go to Kens Ak tackle and take a left. Follow the road for a way's and you'll see the sign.

Thanks for your help!