Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Irony

  1. #1

    Thumbs down Irony

    To perfectly illustrate why fishing is the way it is in Alaska today, one could not do better than read the two articles in todays ADN rag paper. 7 people got busted and ticketed for fishing with rod and reel in Ship Creek (stocked fishery, put in for the taking). Yukon River fishermen defy the closure and strip the river with nets (wild fish, endanger of extinction, and protected by international treaty) and nothing is done to them, except give them a bunch of free press. Pathetic.

    Yep, we're teaching our youngsters real good ain't we.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  2. #2
    Member AK DUX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Those were natives that took over 100 kings out of the Yukon. You can bet that nothing will happen to them because as usual, when they get in front of the microphone it's mother earth and a way of life. And it's more fake than Michael Jackson's nose. (Man am I tired of that story too).
    The media and feds are the same....they're afraid to make the truth public. Too much money and politics at stake to worry about the continuance of a species. The poachers in Anchorage....even if they didn't catch any fish, will get far more than the poachers in the Yukon that took 100...or the ones that massacred caribou....or the ones that massacred walrus....the list goes on.

  3. #3
    Member MNViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    746

    Default

    The word doesn't get out to people. I find it hard to believe anyone is stupid enough to think they won't get caught at Ship creek. I'm not familiar with the other incident though...
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

  4. #4
    Member nategr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    The word doesn't get out to people. I find it hard to believe anyone is stupid enough to think they won't get caught at Ship creek. I'm not familiar with the other incident though...

    Cant fish at ship, I caught a nice fat hen this morning, full of eggs. Dime bright. Couldnt believe I was the only one on the water.





    J/K

  5. #5
    Member LungShot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK DUX View Post
    Those were natives that took over 100 kings out of the Yukon. You can bet that nothing will happen to them because as usual, when they get in front of the microphone it's mother earth and a way of life. And it's more fake than Michael Jackson's nose. (Man am I tired of that story too).
    The media and feds are the same....they're afraid to make the truth public. Too much money and politics at stake to worry about the continuance of a species. The poachers in Anchorage....even if they didn't catch any fish, will get far more than the poachers in the Yukon that took 100...or the ones that massacred caribou....or the ones that massacred walrus....the list goes on.
    Imagine how much of that goes on that we never even hear about.

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ANCH.
    Posts
    488

    Question Can you answer an couple honest questions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    To perfectly illustrate why fishing is the way it is in Alaska today, one could not do better than read the two articles in todays ADN rag paper. 7 people got busted and ticketed for fishing with rod and reel in Ship Creek (stocked fishery, put in for the taking). Yukon River fishermen defy the closure and strip the river with nets (wild fish, endanger of extinction, and protected by international treaty) and nothing is done to them, except give them a bunch of free press. Pathetic.

    Yep, we're teaching our youngsters real good ain't we.
    Does any part of the run of kings on the Yukon go to a hatchery? Do any of the kings on Ship Creek go to a hatchery? If the question is yes to either question then why would anyone break the rules taking the chance to ruin the possibility of fish making it to a hatchery to further support the runs all over the state?

  7. #7
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    IGNORANCE, STUPIDITY, take your pick...

  8. #8
    Member AK DUX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    IGNORANCE, STUPIDITY, take your pick...
    For the Yukon fiasco...I would add entitlement, drunk, fanatical. Sorry...but it is what it is. I've personally seen way too much of it to try to be politically correct about it. Actually...I'm think I'm being pretty nice about it, considering what goes on out there.

  9. #9
    Member MNViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    IGNORANCE, STUPIDITY, take your pick...

    I'll take uninformed.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

  10. #10
    Member garnede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    soon to be back in Alaska
    Posts
    1,214
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

    http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

  11. #11
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,790

    Default Whole lot of generalizations going on here...

    ... and some real short sightedness. If these people are denied the opportunity to put some fish in a freezer when a qut. of milk is $10, hamburger is $5 a lb, etc. in their local store, then you are going to end up with law suits which will give natives the right to do so. Washington and Oregon already have such laws in place to allow natives to go about their traditional harvests, while non-natives may have to sit a season out down there. Is that what you want up here?

    To suggest that they all move to Anchorage and draw welfare... yeah, like that is a real solution to the problem.

    Having lived for years in a native village, I seldom saw fish go to waste. Even spawned out fish were caught and dried. Yupiks consider salmon to be the staff of life (neqa=fish/neka=food). And to bring stories of massacred caribou and walrus into the equation (which happened far north of the Yukon) is kind of retar.... um ridiculous.

  12. #12

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... and some real short sightedness.

    If these people are denied the opportunity to put some fish in a freezer when a qut. of milk is $10, hamburger is $5 a lb, etc. in their local store, then you are going to end up with law suits which will give natives the right to do so. Washington and Oregon already have such laws in place to allow natives to go about their traditional harvests, while non-natives may have to sit a season out down there. Is that what you want up here?

    To suggest that they all move to Anchorage and draw welfare... yeah, like that is a real solution to the problem
    I see. And if we allow them to do it without a law, is that OK? Confused on this notion.

    I would much prefer to move them to Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau and put them to work.

    Bottom line for me, they need to honor the laws or go to jail.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  13. #13
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,790

    Default You make it sound...

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I see. And if we allow them to do it without a law, is that OK? Confused on this notion.


    I would much prefer to move them to Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau and put them to work.

    Bottom line for me, they need to honor the laws or go to jail.
    ... like native people are Jews you can move into ghettos to keep them in line, or putting Indians on reservations because the buffalo were all killed off.

    These people fished for their survival from time immemorial.
    They did so until recently. Now because of overfishing on the high seas by non-natives (probably) you are going to tell them they have to quit fishing and move to the city so they can go on welfare? Jobs aren't that easy to find in cities nowadays that will feed and house a family. I thought conservatism (which is a concept I thought you subscribed to) was about self determination and trying NOT to be on the government dole. Now I'm confused...

    Anyway, guess this is getting a little too political, and will end up in Management or P&R.

  14. #14

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Jobs aren't that easy to find in cities nowadays that will feed and house a family.

    I thought conservatism (which is a concept I thought you subscribed to) was about self determination and trying NOT to be on the government dole. Now I'm confused...
    Jobs are easier to catch than fish. Especially if the fish are not there.

    Conservatism: You are correct. I subscribe to the very notion. Self determination is one aspect that I clearly endear. But.....I also subscribe to the notion that NO ONE gets special priveleges or first shot at fish and game that belong to all of us collectively, until such time it is killed. Then and only then does it belong to that individual. I very much appreciate the taking of fish for eating. But I don't believe that anyone has priority preference, ancestoral or not, don't matter.

    Anyway, hearing the news tonight, the Troopers are turning over their evidence to the DA, on the Yukon poaching with nets and hopefully some of those folks will spend some time in the Barbed Wire Hotel. Probably end up eating Shrimp and Lobster on the states nickle in doing so.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  15. #15

    Default Its B.S.

    AK res, and AKdux you two are "spot on". I love how the words "traditional harvest" get thrown around.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •