Thread: Parks Hwy streams impending closure?

Default Parks Hwy streams impending closure?

Well, with the last big weekend coming up for the Parks and still no fish showing up to any of the streams up there. Just wondering what some of the folks on here think will happen? I have been telling anyone that will listen that I think there will be a midweek EO to close most of the Parks streams down for no fishing on the final weekend....

I fished the mouth of the Willow this weekend and was there for the midnight opener on Friday, unbelieveably dead for this time of year. Fished it on Sunday afternoon for a few hours in the hopes of having lots of space and maybe getting lucky on a few fish showing up, but to no avail. I saw about 4 fish get caught and not one of them was over 12 pounds. All blushed smallish males.

Really, the jist of this post is to see what others on here think will happen, or if anyone has some insight as to what Fish and Game may be planning!?

-sc

Angry Close it by golly.

We need to protect the resource, period. I live in the valley and have friends that are guiding. I feel for them but the resource comes first. Just like the Yukon, now is the time to stand up so we will have fish down the road. You can't guide to a resource that in non existent. My own belief is that we should all call Dave Rutz, Palmer area biologist, and ask him to shut it down for the year. Sad but I want my kids to be able to fish there, and their kids.

Default Close them down!

We have had in my mind a total collapse of the Parks Hwy streams and rivers. For some reason they just worry about the Deshka. The Little Su and the Parks steams are just as important if not more. Granted the Deshka can be used as a gauge but it is far worse going north. This is the worst I have seen it, small fish and extremely low numbers. I quit fishing Kings for the year so I'm not doing any damage. I am calling my local representative and voicing my opinion. I have already talked with Dave Rutz two weeks ago. They are watching the situation but have no plans in shutting it down this year and base it on a three year return. Numbers have been on the decline and for some reason the Mat-Su streams are ignored by the powers that be. I'm tired of the valley streams getting ignored. Please call your reps and put some pressure on them. Everything needs to be shut down until we get our fish population healthy.

Default Question has been answered...

Looks like the department took the conservative aproach and closed them all. Even the Little Su....

Hot off the press.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...ks_Streams.pdf

Default Oh my God, bout time

Thank God for someone seeing the light. Maybe my grand kid's will still be able to fish this river.

So, do you think the closure of the Parks highway streams will put more pressure on other fisheries? In particular, the Kasilof and Kenai?

Default No brainer...

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    So, do you think the closure of the Parks highway streams will put more pressure on other fisheries? In particular, the Kasilof and Kenai?
    Closure of so many streams through out the state will definitely put more pressure on the Pennisula in the comming weeks. Where else is there left to catch king salmon?

Default some kings still available

Talkeetna tribs and Yentna tribs are still open, and are seeing decent numbers of kings.

Sport fishermen have been clamoring for fish and game to close the season for them. It has now happened, and its well justified! My question is this: where is Com Fish in all this? Central District drift is at it full force, fishing all of the inlet south of Kalgin Island, ever since sockeyes reopened mid June. Any Susitna bound kings have to face a full gauntlet of nets before they can get north and benefit from the sport fishing closures. Sport fishermen see the importance of getting fish into the rivers- why don't the comfish guys? I have yet to hear a single commercial fisherman or comfish manager asking the comfish heads to shut down or restrict their seasons to get more kings into the river. I really don't care for the moment what the cause of the low returns is: what I do care about is that fish are still getting killed, with no attempts to reduce their mortality rates. Instead of having to prove where bycatch is headed to before attempting to limit bycatch, the state needs to demand they prove that king bycatch and targeted king catch is NOT further reducing escapements.

At the beginning of the season, when responding to the Deshka restrictions, and when asked what actions they were taking, Com Fish stated at a public meeting in the valley that they did not share the conservation burden. Well, I'll raise a toast to that! Comfish is not the only reason king returns are low; however- they are certainly not a non-factor, though management is treating it as if they are. What gives?

Default ???

Central section drift has only caught 77 kings, ytd.

Willfish this kind of info is very easy to find. I sometimes wonder if you care to know correct info of not? I just did a search on ADF&G commercial salmon fishery. Boom I was on the page, and then went to the following link about UCI then, about total catch. Check it out. Now I personally don't know yet how such numbers are obtained, It's easy to find the numbers. I imagine it's landing data, but don't know yet.

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/marin...catchxarea.php

ty for the link ak browns. Trust me, I try to find proper information before spewing forth, but not always easy to find time to do all the searching. From that report, Kalgin Island sub district has reported the 2nd highest harvest of kings, right behind the Kasilof district. Central Drift is doing a great job at avoiding kings. My bad. I'm still wondering whose surplus the kings that are being caught belong to- to my knowledge there be very few kings surplus to escapement needs, as systems that are within their ranges are the exception, not the rule.