Thread: Chena Lake Rec Area

Question Chena Lake Rec Area

Has anyone stayed at this campground? We may be hitting Fairbanks later this summer (if we don't turn down the Denali Highway instead) and thought this would be a great place to camp with the kids. Close to the Santa Clause House, Pioneer Park, and it has boat rentals, etc.

How are the bike trails? I'm assuming they are amateur trails, as it IS a campground. I want to bring the bikes and ride with the kids a bit.

Tim

Default Chena Lakes Campground

It's not too bad. We were there a couple of weeks ago. There are two main camping areas. One main area near a playground and a more secluded one. If you are taking adults or older kids the secluded one may be more what you are looking for. If you are taking children, you may want to go to the main area where there is a playground and other things to do. Bring your own firewood. Most of the dead stuff we found was too wet to keep lit. They do sell firewood at the main entrance, as well as the boat rental area. Bike trails I saw were all rough paved.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the info. We'll have young kids with us. We bought a "basement model" motorhome so I always have firewood with us. Sounds like a fun place, hope we can make it there to check it out.

Tim

The best time of the season to camp at the Chena Recreation area (near the boat landing), is in late September through October. You don't have to pay an entry fee (around $5.00, I believe), and the vegetation looks beautiful. It's cooler at night, and there are hardly any people around. Good place for a canoe or small boat as long as you don't go too far down the river.

If you look around you will see grouse and other birds, moose, and sometimes (if lucky enough) bears.

That's a great idea. We did our first Mid-Sept. camping trip last year and loved it. Much less crowded.

Tim

Default Dont dog denali hwy

THat road can be brutal washboard but ANY time of year it is a treasure rarely seen by people in AK. The grayling fishing and hiking can be epic, and if you have a decent (even Fred Meyer type) mountain bike you can have a GREAT ride.

Tangle Lakes campground is a favorite of mine as it is always well kept and fantastic scenery. The ONLY draw back is the HWY can be buggy. But so is Chena Lakes.

I will second the Chena Lakes system in Sept. howeer in another few weeks you can camp there and pick raspberries, fish in the lake or the river...

also, RIGHT NOW you can fish for kings in the Chena river...hmm I may just have to go out there