Thread: Lightening a Rossi

Default Lightening a Rossi

I picked up a rossi single shot with a 22 and a 20 guage barrel. The outside dimensions of both barrels are basically the same at the chamber area so you can imagine how heavy the 22 is for no good reason. The goal of the gun is to be a cheap easy to handle rig for my kids to shoot. I am thinking about having someone go to work on it and mill the chamber area down to a much smaller size. I still want it to fit the action nicely but just lighten it up a bunch! Any idea what this would cost? I was also wondering if it would be feasable to have the chamber modified to a 22wmr. Could that be easily accomplished?

To get an idea it is the bottom of the three barrels in this pic. You can see how huge the chamber area is vs how thin the barrel is.

Don't believe there is much to mill and still fit the action plus between the hands weight most times is not problem. as for the 22mag it has a bigger rim and on some guns the 22lr fireing pin will hit to close to center on the mag case giveing misfires or poor primer fire.

You'd be dollars ahead if you just sold the gun and bought a lighter 22. I'd expect the machine work and re-blueing to be a minimum of $200.

I don't see why you couldn't have it re-chambered to 22 wmr, but given the cost of factory fodder it's another one of those plans that just don't pan out. I'd say get a .223 barrel if you want more power than a 22 rf. My kids love shooting 223's

I have the Rossi youth .22LR and .410 combo in Stainless.

The .22LR barrel is sleeved with a darker steel. Yours sounds like it's a one-piece barrel.

Bore dimensions vary for 22 LR and 22 Mag.
    22LR is tighter.

I understand that manfacturers us the 22 WMR dimensions for the dual use caliber pistols.

Might be hard to find someone to do that conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    Bore dimensions vary for 22 LR and 22 Mag.
    22LR is tighter.

I understand that manfacturers us the 22 WMR dimensions for the dual use caliber pistols.

Might be hard to find someone to do that conversion.
    Thatís new to me, do you know what they measure?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default As near as I can remember from when the 22 Mag. was new.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Thatís new to me, do you know what they measure?
    Bore and Groove diameter.

The 22 Mag. barrel is slightly larger than the 22 LR barrel. The bullet is slightly smaller.

In the convertibles they use the 22 Mag. barrel. The soft LR bullets slug up just fine.

If you have a 22 Mag. Ruger, you can get a 22 LR cylinder fitted, so you have a convertible, but they won't do it, vise versa. (Mag cylinder for a 22 LR revolver.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.