Thread: Bang Sticks For Halibut - Best Supplier

Default Bang Sticks For Halibut - Best Supplier

My old 410 snakecharmer has about give up and I was thinking of buying a
    bangstick for halibut. Does anyone have any good sources for these? Any comments on the pros and cons of using one? I know I was on a charter one day and the deckhand had one fall off the handle and lost it - his comment was, well there goes 200 bucks(10 yrs ago) to the bottom of the bay.
    Happy boating - and I hope everyone has a great & safe 4th weekend.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default Bang stick

I would try B&J's. If they do not have it they can get it.

Later
    Moose

Not sure about bangsticks but if you'd like another Snakecharmer I think we still have one brand new one behind the counter at WWG.

honestly shark hooking them works extremely well if you can convince the clients not to try and reel a big halibut up to the rod tip....they usually come up in such a fashion you can easily slip the shark hook in their mouths, get a fun ride for a second and whackm on the head easy enough. Worked well for me as a charter capt I have no use for anything else.

For that matter I've hay hooked fish right into the boat just over 100lbs...not the smartest of moves, but hey shark hook is tied up in another fish and you've got another biggun on the boat, waddya do...again easy but becareful with the clients having a flopping hali on board....it did work quite well though, suprisingly easy to hay hook big fish into the boat!

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default use the biggest super mutu

As a kid I liked shooting halibut, but as a guide I use the biggest super mutu on a 4 foot rope to land those monster halibut. The shark hook scratches the side of the boat, the super mutu does not. to keep the angler from reeling up to the eye? use a longer leader.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Walmart and sportsmans both had them running for $150 at one time.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

KC, now thats a sweet idear, thanks for the tip. Unfortunatly I doubt I'll ever get the chance to salt water guide again due to the economy..time to grow up and get a 'real' job

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default tough

Guiding in the bush has always been challenging, now it is just tough! Thanks to the internet marketing is better, now we just need people to spend that money. I am working at my real job, just got to keep payin bills till it all turns around.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

yup I know the feeling... I'd rather be on the salt then playing in concrete!!!