Thread: Kenai dip netting with a large boat

Default Kenai dip netting with a large boat

I have always dip netted with a smaller boat but I sold my 25' jeboat. This year we may use our 26' hewescraft. I don't remember seeing that many bigger boats--anyone use them to dipnet with?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

You might want to check the regs on that for the Kenai. I thought when they put that 4-stroke rule into effect for July, there was also a 22 foot length limit on the boats. I might be wrong on this, it has been quite awhile since I read that. But I do recall thinking I wanted to get a 4-stroke, 22 footer at the time.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default Fish & Game boat regs

ADF&G restrictions can be found here:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...se/kenaipu.cfm

It doesn't say anything about length restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    I have always dip netted with a smaller boat but I sold my 25' jeboat. This year we may use our 26' hewescraft. I don't remember seeing that many bigger boats--anyone use them to dipnet with?
    You'll be fine with the Hewes, just stay in the lower south chanel. The motor/size restriction is only for the portion above the Warren Ames Bridge (sp?). You'll see markers noting the restriction on the banks. I've seen crazy people with huge Bayliners dipp'in.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    ADF&G restrictions can be found here:

It doesn't say anything about length restrictions.
    Careful. The site you provided is not the actual regulation.

I found this here:

http://www.kenairivercenter.org/Agen..._boat_regs.pdf

which states that the boats would be limited to 21 feet, but if you've owned the boat before Feb. 1, 2008, you can apply for an exemption until 2010.

The site I provided is also not the actual regs either, and I don't have time right now to track down the actual regulations themselves to see if they were amended for the 2009 season regarding the length. Surely someone will have a link to the actual regulations somewhere. But be careful on the length issue.

Quote Originally Posted by forAK View Post
    You'll be fine with the Hewes, just stay in the lower south chanel. The motor/size restriction is only for the portion above the Warren Ames Bridge (sp?). You'll see markers noting the restriction on the banks. I've seen crazy people with huge Bayliners dipp'in.
    According to this:

at a minimum the 4-stroke rule applies to the dipnet area as well. Not sure if the length restriction does as well. I'd call F&G to be safe. I know they were giving a lot of tickets last year to dipnetters with two strokes. I don't know if they were also measuring the boat's size as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    According to this:

at a minimum the 4-stroke rule applies to the dipnet area as well. Not sure if the length restriction does as well. I'd call F&G to be safe. I know they were giving a lot of tickets last year to dipnetters with two strokes. I don't know if they were also measuring the boat's size as well.
    Come on now, I know it's not boat size. There are 40 foot commercial fishing boats going in an out. I was just wondering about getting stuck and being effective. I guess I've seen some pretty big boats doing well. I'll miss the jet boat for dip netting though.

According to this:

You are correct about the 4-stroke part. I was reffering to the size of the motor. My mistake for not catching that. Boat size is not a concern for the PU area.
    Last year we were there several times and didn't see one 2-stroke get ticketed. Since it was the first year that law came out, I figured they were gonna let some people slide. Guess not.

Default Straight from DNR

Careful. The site you provided is not the actual regulation.

I found this here:

http://www.kenairivercenter.org/Agen..._boat_regs.pdf

which states that the boats would be limited to 21 feet, but if you've owned the boat before Feb. 1, 2008, you can apply for an exemption until 2010.

The site I provided is also not the actual regs either, and I don't have time right now to track down the actual regulations themselves to see if they were amended for the 2009 season regarding the length. Surely someone will have a link to the actual regulations somewhere. But be careful on the length issue.
    In compliance with AS 44.62.175(a)(7) and (b), the following information is provided:

The new regulations will permit the use of 50 horsepower motors, as long as any motor that is larger than 35 horsepower is a four-stroke or Direct Fuel Injected (DFI) two-stroke motor. Additionally, all motors used within the Kenai River Special Management Area during the month of July must also be either four-stroke or DFI two-stroke motors. Boat size will also be limited to no more than 21 feet long or 106 inches wide, except that persons who provide proof of ownership that the boat was owned by that person prior to Feb. 1, 2008 may apply for a permit to use the larger boat until Jan. 1, 2010. After that date, all boats used in the KRSMA except on Skilak or Kenai Lakes must meet the size limits specified in this new regulation

But this is just for ABOVE the bridge. Fish and Game made it illegal to use 2 strokes below the bridge while dipnetting

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    In compliance with AS 44.62.175(a)(7) and (b), the following information is provided:

The new regulations will permit the use of 50 horsepower motors, as long as any motor that is larger than 35 horsepower is a four-stroke or Direct Fuel Injected (DFI) two-stroke motor. Additionally, all motors used within the Kenai River Special Management Area during the month of July must also be either four-stroke or DFI two-stroke motors. Boat size will also be limited to no more than 21 feet long or 106 inches wide, except that persons who provide proof of ownership that the boat was owned by that person prior to Feb. 1, 2008 may apply for a permit to use the larger boat until Jan. 1, 2010. After that date, all boats used in the KRSMA except on Skilak or Kenai Lakes must meet the size limits specified in this new regulation

But this is just for ABOVE the bridge. Fish and Game made it illegal to use 2 strokes below the bridge while dipnetting

Great info, thanks for the post. Not that it really matters to me though - I just get to stand in the river. But great info for lots others.

Default So size doesn't matter?

Below the bridge that is.

Default Not too sure?

There is conflicting information on the boundary where size starts to matter. The Warren Ames Bridge is located at River Mile 5.

I think the Kenai River Special Management Area starts about a mile below the Warren Ames Bridge - I'm pretty sure there are signs on the bank marking this boundary. If this is the case, then the boat and motor size applies upstream of the signs at River Mile 4.

ADFG has a map suggesting the boundary is at River Mile 4

ADNR has a map suggesting the boundary is at River Mile 5
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/kenrvmap.htm

Perhaps State personnel can clear this up?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    There is conflicting information on the boundary where size starts to matter. The Warren Ames Bridge is located at River Mile 5.

I think the Kenai River Special Management Area starts about a mile below the Warren Ames Bridge - I'm pretty sure there are signs on the bank marking this boundary. If this is the case, then the boat and motor size applies upstream of the signs at River Mile 4.

ADFG has a map suggesting the boundary is at River Mile 4

ADNR has a map suggesting the boundary is at River Mile 5
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/kenrvmap.htm

Perhaps State personnel can clear this up?
    From what I read you are correct. The KRSMA starts at mile five and goes up. I don't think they could limit the commercial fishing fleet to 21 feet long maximum.

Default mile 4 down is productive

No need going to the bridge. If you see that marker at mile 4, just turn around and start to dip. I have dipped near the bridge and it is not that productive. It will also keep you from getting a ticket. Remember, Enforcement will be sitting by the canneries with bunoculars (SIC) and will be talking by radio to the launch. They were [pretty effective in writing tickets that way. Everyone just mind your p's and q's. Have a good one

Default Motor size and boat lenght

The Kenai River boat lenght and horsepower restriction does not apply downstream of the Warren Ames Bridge, since this section of river is outside the Alaska Department of Natural Resources' "Kenai River Special Management Area." Boaters may use unlimited length and horsepower downstream of the Warren Ames Bridge.

Default River Mile 4

The park starts a mile downstream of the bridge. Read the thread.

More than 50HP or more boat than 21' - read the rules, so you know where to be.