Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denali Highway?

Default Denali Highway?

Any good places for an RV on the Denali Highway? I was thinking about taking a couple of days and going from Anchorage and up and round by Glennallen and back to Anchorage. Where would be some good places to stop and camp in an RV. We like being by ourselves. A good spot to camp and fish would be nice.

Being by yourself is a tough one. I'd assume most of the creeks up there will have campers/rvs on them. We're kinda doing the same thing except we're hitting Valdez and McCarthy before turning down the Denali and back to Anchorage. Although we may hit Fairbanks in lieu of the Denali Highway; don't know yet.

Tim

May want to extend your trip just a little longer, the Denali is 135 miles of washboard gravel road, give yourself 2 days and perhaps 3 to drive it depending on road condition and how often you wish to stop. You could probably do it in a day in an RV, but why do that and miss all the scenery. Also, it's a good 6 hour drive from Paxson to Anchorage, again depending on weather etc.

As for places to park an RV, gonna be hard to be lonely in the summertime. Tangle Lakes (mile 21) and Brushkana Creek (mile 115) are nice places, but you won't be alone for sure. There are other campgrounds I'm forgetting, as well as a few places you could pull off the road and camp, but those may be dusty as traffic drives by.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    May want to extend your trip just a little longer, the Denali is 135 miles of washboard gravel road, give yourself 2 days and perhaps 3 to drive it depending on road condition and how often you wish to stop. You could probably do it in a day in an RV, but why do that and miss all the scenery. Also, it's a good 6 hour drive from Paxson to Anchorage, again depending on weather etc.

As for places to park an RV, gonna be hard to be lonely in the summertime. Tangle Lakes (mile 21) and Brushkana Creek (mile 115) are nice places, but you won't be alone for sure. There are other campgrounds I'm forgetting, as well as a few places you could pull off the road and camp, but those may be dusty as traffic drives by.
    Actually current road conditions on the Denali are some of the best I've seen in YEARS!!! They are actually putting more gravel down in poor areas and keeping up with the grading. Of course that can all change with one rain. Princess Tour buses shuttle tourists across it all summer so the road can't be all that bad to begin with. A car can drive it in 3 hours non-stop (roughly 40-45 the whole way) No reason you couldn't do it in two easy days taking 3 hours of going super slow (20 mph) each day. That still leaves plenty of time to get out and check out some of the fishing with light almost all night for atleast the next couple weeks. I can't recall I've ever seen it terrible across the entire highway. Granted sections get bad, plus 15 miles or so of the highway is paved. Just bring a spare or two and don't race across and enjoy your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Princess Tour buses shuttle tourists across it all summer so the road can't be all that bad to begin with.
    Ugh...Do they possibly have a lodge on he Denali? Do they bother to stop at the Gratias House or McClaren Lodge and do any business?

Tim

No they don't, they use the Denali hwy to shuttle folks between their Copper River Lodge to either their McKinley or Denali Lodges. They do stop at MaClaren for sure, not too sure about Gracious house though.

Lujon, did you just advise someone to drive 20 mph in a motor home for the length of the Denali???

Speaking for myself and maybe others who HATE motorhomes...You are going to hell for that one...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Lujon, did you just advise someone to drive 20 mph in a motor home for the length of the Denali???

Speaking for myself and maybe others who HATE motorhomes...You are going to hell for that one...
    No LuJon didn't. I said its possible to drive the highway at 20 mph and still make it across in 6 hours. I have driven that slow when the road is bad, and I hope most would have enough common sense to pull over whenever a vehicle is behind them when going that slow. Also another GIANT pet peeve of mine on the Denali highway is motorhomes parking on all the bridges to get out and look around. I was up there for 12 days this month as it seems that more often than not there is a motorhome parked on the bridge. Those bridges are narrow as it is. Park a 100 ft on either side and walk up there if you wanna get out and watch water go under the bridge. Despite what it might look like you don't own the road.

Sorry, my apolgies....finger - brain disconnect...

Nothing negative meant...just joshing...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Sorry, my apolgies....finger - brain disconnect...

Nothing negative meant...just joshing...

I know you were just kidding but after I reread my post I could see where that may be implied I was suggesting so I wanted to be clear that unless you pull over for every vehicle that comes up behind and the road is in horrid condition you there is no reason to only drive 20 mile on a perfectly fine gravel road.

Smile Thanks

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    ..........Also another GIANT pet peeve of mine on the Denali highway is motorhomes parking on all the bridges to get out and look around. I was up there for 12 days this month as it seems that more often than not there is a motorhome parked on the bridge. Those bridges are narrow as it is. Park a 100 ft on either side and walk up there if you wanna get out and watch water go under the bridge. Despite what it might look like you don't own the road.
    Last fall one of the tour buses was parked in the middle of the bridge crossing the Susitna river. All the folks were out of the bus checking out the river. It took them awhile to get all loaded back up.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Default More time!

Camping fool, two days just isn't enough. I've done it in three days a couple of times and always wish I had more. You can't see everything and relax at the same time. And isn't that what it's all about.

Default Denali Highway

This one of our favorite places to go to. Even when we spend 10+ days there is still is not enough time. Only way to really enjoy this area is to retire and spend as much time as you want. There are several places to stop along the road, you will not be alone in most of them but most of the people that one meets are friendly.
    Enjoy the trip.

Hi, this is not about camping. Just wondering if the Denali Hwy will be less crowded come Sept 11. Will be visiting your beautiful state and want to drive from Cantwell to the Susitna and back for day trip. Can't stand the thought of riding a school bus for hours in the park. Do you see many animals from the road? Is the Gracious House Cafe open for lunch? I have my trusty copy of the milepost and we will pull over for anyone behind us.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iloveak View Post
    Hi, this is not about camping. Just wondering if the Denali Hwy will be less crowded come Sept 11. Will be visiting your beautiful state and want to drive from Cantwell to the Susitna and back for day trip. Can't stand the thought of riding a school bus for hours in the park. Do you see many animals from the road? Is the Gracious House Cafe open for lunch? I have my trusty copy of the milepost and we will pull over for anyone behind us.Thanks
    Well there will be less TOURISTS in September, but that's in the middle of hunting season, so there will be LOTS of hunters along the highway, and camps at many of the pullouts. Take a tent and make it two days, once you see the Denali country you won't want to rush it, why see everything flying past your window when you can stop, get out, and feel the fresh air and taste the blueberries?

You can see animals from the road, but it will be a lot easier to see them if you're parked than if you're driving along.

Not sure if the Gracious House stays open in September, a lot of places close down during that month, call them and ask perhaps.

Gracious house has always been open in the past in September. Yep, the Princess buses stop at the Gracious House...which is why they put in the gift shop with all the junk. Our family always stops there to buy a piece of pie and ice cream.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Update!! Just talked to some friends that just did the trip. Road is in great shape. Only food available is at McClaren and if there is a Princess bus there you only get what they serve to the tourists. Gracious House is closed
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Smoke...

... does anyone know what the smoke situation is like on the Denali?

Also, what is the blueberry picking like this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... does anyone know what the smoke situation is like on the Denali?

Also, what is the blueberry picking like this time of year?
    Well, i'm from Cantwell, and the blueberrys around there are ready to go at the end of aug-september. Usually after the first frost. When we hunt we'll sit near a berry bush and eat em, while glassing. I'm out of state right now so i don't know about the smoke situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast