Thread: Flight into George lake?

Default Flight into George lake?

I'm looking at the possibility of doing a fly in hunt near George lake instead of a walk in. For the first time Tracy and I have a little breathing room financially and I would think I should be able to get an inexpensive flight from palmer air port to the lake.

What should I expect to have to pay for such a flight? Like I said never even thought a fly in would ever be a possibility so I have no idea.

Also when it comes to flying I have nerves of steel.........well an alloy..........called afraidium, it's yellow and tastes like chicken! Is there anyone you guys can think of whose good with the very inexperienced bush flight passengers?
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default one option

Meekins Air Service
    Probably more time in those parts than anyone else if it make you feel better plus alot of those strips are about 8 times as long as he needs. Probably around $500pp. What are you hunting? There probably isn't a higher pressured fly in area than back there FYI. Still better than about any drive to though.

That was dang funny Rick if my rep stick wan't broke I'd hit ya with it for giving me a good laugh.

You could cut a bunch of time off your hike and save some money if you have a friend with an airboat who would be willing to drop you back there a good ways.

I want to get back there but for now I am just waiting for Brian to get his private license and some more experience befor hitting him up to take me. One of these days hopefully my new bro-in law will finish residency and move back to AK so I can convince him to fly me around. At least he is cool and a pilot which makes up for the fact that he married my sister in law and set the bar too high for me. Now I have to deal with the "her sister married a doctor" from the M-I-L... Well at least he's cool!

If you are talking about Lake George East of palmer a walk in hunt would be extreme. A airboat going up the gorge would be crazy, i have seen too many ice burgs calving and they make big waves. Have not been up there in a year or two but the glacier pinched off the river to the point of nogo for a boat. I put 3 picnic tables up there years ago. One got burned by some non resident hunters. But thats another story.

Default Meekins Air Service

I have to second Mike Meekins...the guy really knows the area well!

Quote Originally Posted by AkPacer View Post
    I have to second Mike Meekins...the guy really knows the area well!
    +3 Meekins. I am booked with him for Sep right now.

Default Meekings...

Expect to pay about $400.00 to $600.00 round-trip, per person. It depends on where and into which strip you are flying to.

I have gone into and out of there eight times by air. Being a hiker I'm always looking for a walk-in route. Although I have routinely walked the 26 miles into and out of the DCUA, I am not walking into the Lake George area. Bad brush, bad-shifting ice, deep glacial river south of Lake George. Fly in.

Meeking (now in tandom with his son-in-law) have been reliable for me, and for everybody in Alaska for the last twenty-something years.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    That was dang funny Rick if my rep stick wan't broke I'd hit ya with it for giving me a good laugh.

You could cut a bunch of time off your hike and save some money if you have a friend with an airboat who would be willing to drop you back there a good ways.

I want to get back there but for now I am just waiting for Brian to get his private license and some more experience befor hitting him up to take me. One of these days hopefully my new bro-in law will finish residency and move back to AK so I can convince him to fly me around. At least he is cool and a pilot which makes up for the fact that he married my sister in law and set the bar too high for me. Now I have to deal with the "her sister married a doctor" from the M-I-L... Well at least he's cool!
    That may work on the North [grasshopper] side. On the South[lake George] it would be suicide.

Thanks for all the responses, I'll try to answer all the questions asked.

I'm thinking ahead to an archery only goat hunt, I'd pick up a bear too if the opportunity presented it's self. I normally access the area on foot, it is a grueling 2 day hike. You can in fact reach the extreme north eastern part of the hunt by air boat, not at all a bad idea it would cut my hike in half! Trying to boat into the Gorge it's self would be foolhardy. I had herd the area around the lake itself got hit fairly hard for moose and bears but 2 years ago I was one of 3 guys who signed up to chase goats with a bow in the area.

I'll give Meeking and the knick glacier tours folks a call, don't think I can swing $400-500 though.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Give Dave Glenn a call at Grasshopper Aviation at the Wasilla Airport, business phone number 907-373-6923. He flies a Maule into places like that alot. Knows the area very well and is the only airtaxi operator in the area.