Thread: 10' inflatable destinations

Default 10' inflatable destinations

Hey guys, i just got an 8hp motor for my achilles 10' inflatable. I'm wondering where to go with it?

I have a couple of younger children and am looking for day and possible overnight trip destinations.

We have considered Kenai lake, knik river, seward, (launching at millers and cruising down to caines head) I would love to go to the 20 mile? or portage any cool spots to try out this new craft would be appreciated.

Thanks for the heads up.

Smile

From the Primrose side, Kenai lake has incredible camping possibilities as you cruise along. Derby cove before Caines has a cabin, good luck getting a reservation. Skilak lake/Kenai river has great camping opportunities just inside the Kenai off the lake, becareful of Skilak.
    Hidden lake has great camping places acrossed the lake around the islands. Cooper lake off Snug Harbor road (HUGE water level change, there is a dam/drainage/something or other that can raise and lower the water level by ten to thirty feet) really cool camping if your safely away from the water, saw a wedding happen there once, its really a great place. Kenai lake across from Quartz creek is fun to camp around on also. Becareful in the ocean, Seward gets big stuff at 2:00pm on bluebird days, most beaches will fill your boat with surf if its not high on the beach and the tide will take it also. Bring a hundred feet of rope and tie it to a tree a hundred feet from shore, be careful with the ocean.

Default Try hidden lake

Hidden lake on Skilak Lake road is one of the best. You can camp at the campsite and take your boat out during the day or motor out in the lake and find a campsite to rough it a little bit. Both are fun. The lake is pretty tame and very family friendly. I just spent 2 days there last weekend with my kids (2 years and 7 months) and they did great.

Kenai lake is also fun. Put in a quartz creek and motor "upstream" (per the Kenai river) for a few miles and camp on porcupine island. Another very family friendly site. Just keep in mind the Kenai lake is big and waves can kick up that will make your boat feel very small very fast. The water is also much colder than it is on hidden lake.

You can run the lakes that feed into the E fork or Moose river, they are limited to under 10hp. Put in at Watson lake, and you can motor all the way back to Afonasi. There is a beaver **** leaving Watson, but asside from that you can motor all the way back. Great rainbow fishing and several nice camp sites at Afonasi.

Thanks for the info guys. My boy is just finishing fixing up a 7.5 hp Honda and wants to take our small aluminum boat for a camping trip. Some great ideas here
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem