Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning a hunt....for everything.

Default Planning a hunt....for everything.

Just wanted to share an exciting trip I've got planned in August. I'll be coming home from Afghanistan for R&R leave in the middle of the month, and it just happens to be the perfect time for big game. A friend in my unit and I are both taking our sons out for about 4 days. This will be my son's first big game trip. He's a bit small for the big stuff yet at 9 years, but he can handle the grouse and ptarmigan with his .410. I found out even brown bear season will be open then, so I'll have tags for browns, black bear, moose, sheep and caribou. Hopefully we'll fill the freezer!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Good luck on your deserved hunt and be carefull out there

From your post I would surmise your hunting experience in Alaska may be a bit limited. I would recommend you consider narrowing a bit the scope of your anticipated harvest. You also might not want to put your brown bear in the freezer. Be safe, Alaska has been known to be a harsh mistress to an innocent pilgram. Good luck.

Thanks Will, and SHPHTR - I appreciate your concern, but I'm deffinitely not going into this blind. I've hunted Alaska only a few times, and always with no more than a day at a poor time in the season, so I've been skunked so far. I've helped dress Moose before though, and have done many, many hours of research.

My friend is an experienced big game hunter as well. The main reason I am bringing tags for so many animals is so I have a greater opportunity to bring home some meat. I want my son to be able to experience hunting something bigger than grouse and hares (his only hunting experience to date).

I have heard that brownies are not the best meat, especially if they've been in the salmon. No problem though - my main objective is a meat bull. The brown bear tag will be my ticket to keep an animal in the event that I have to put one down for protection. If that occurs while we're in camp, it will be done with a 600 gr. Brenneke slug from my 12 gauge. If we are out looking for Moose, a 220 grain bullet from my Remington .300 WM will do the trick. (Or maybe two or three bullets)

We'll be taking fourwheelers in to our hunting area, and setting up a base camp. We'll try calling in some bulls and hike as much as the boys can handle. Even if we don't get any game, it should be a trip to remember. Especially for the boys.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Even if we don't get any game, it should be a trip to remember. Especially for the boys.
    Enjoy your hunt, enjoy your time with your son, and thank you for your service.

Thanks Hopeak, Alaska has "gotten into my blood". I've seen all but four of the 50 states and I'm convinced Alaska is the best one. Hopefully there will be many other hunting trips for my son and I in the future. I intend to be buried there.

Even if we don't get any game, it should be a trip to remember. Especially for the boys.
    Yes it will!! I grew up in AK but it was the military that brought us up there. As a soldiers son I can know that many of my greatest memories are from unsuccessful Alaska hunting trips with my dad! I love him to death and miss hunting with him now that he has moved south, he took great care to teach me about nature and respect it. Oddly enough he was a notoriously unsuccessful hunter, thankfully I didn't inherit that

Have a great hunt!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Yes it will!! I grew up in AK but it was the military that brought us up there. As a soldiers son I can know that many of my greatest memories are from unsuccessful Alaska hunting trips with my dad! I love him to death and miss hunting with him now that he has moved south, he took great care to teach me about nature and respect it. Oddly enough he was a notoriously unsuccessful hunter, thankfully I didn't inherit that

Have a great hunt!!
    LuJon, you aren't tryin' to jinx me...... are ya?

By the way, location says Iraq. Did you follow in your father's footsteps, or civ. contractor? Either way, I feel for ya. My first dance was over there and it is HHHOOOTTT!!!

I wish you the best of luck on your hunt sounds like you got a plan.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

one other point - make sure you check the regs re: hunting moose in Aug for the area in which you will be hunting.

Default Followup...

Good luck on your hunt.
    Hunt hard. But be extra safe with the kids present.
    Followup and let us know how your hunt turns out.

Dennis

I forgot to say its great to take the sons and let them start their memories

LuJon, you aren't tryin' to jinx me...... are ya?

By the way, location says Iraq. Did you follow in your father's footsteps, or civ. contractor? Either way, I feel for ya. My first dance was over there and it is HHHOOOTTT!!!
    Nope not trying to jinx ya, just reminding you that the most unsuccessful hunts can still have the greatest value to your little ones!

Yeah I am in the box at the moment and I have done it both ways now. 05 and 07 with the USAF and now as a contractor. My old man was a CW3 when he retired and he always wanted me to go to college. He did let me go see the army recruiter since I was trying to do the high school to flight school program. When I failed my flight physical though he politely told the recruiter to have a nice day. Took me outside and asked me if I really wanted to do this, I said yes and he led me next door to see the air force guys. He was always looking out for me like that

And as the others have said thanks for your service!

Thanks for the kind words everyone, shphtr - we already have the 09 regs, and moose is open where we're going.

LuJon, try to stay cool over there. I'm at about 7300' elevation here, and that helps to keep the temp a little more bearable but I remember the boiling hot summer in Iraq.

I just gottaask........what unit are you hunting that you can hunt all those species from one camp?

Thanks for your service. Hope you find success on the hunt.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Unit?

Must be Unit 23

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I just gottaask........what unit are you hunting that you can hunt all those species from one camp?

I'm not actually sure what unit it is. The guy I'm going with knows the area, and everything is in season. He did say there's a slim chance of seeing sheep, and an even slimmer chance for caribou but it doesn't hurt to have the tags "just in case". There may be time for another hunt in a different area the following week, too. I think we'll be roughly 50-75 miles north of Wasilla off the Parks.

Success in my opinion is simply the chance to get out there and enjoy Alaska with my son. Putting some meat in the freezer would be icing on the cake.

Edit: I just checked the map online. Looks like we'll be in the 16A/16B vicinity.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post

There are huntable populations of bear (B and b), moose, 'bou, and sheep in the White Mountains - would have to check the regs. re: specfic open dates.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    There are huntable populations of bear (B and b), moose, 'bou, and sheep in the White Mountains - would have to check the regs. re: specfic open dates.
    White mountains.... I need to google that I guess. Is that in the 16A/B area?

White MTNs is NE of Fairbanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast