Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sitka mountain gear

Default Sitka mountain gear

Did anybody use this gear and have any reviews? Looks like good stuff but I believe it just came out this season.

Hi Cramer!

Yes, I used Sitka gear exclusively this fall and it performed flawlessly. I used it mainly on a 14 day elk hunt, and I wore it every day (we had access to a washer and dryer 2-3 times throughout the hunt). The pants are very durable...I fell on tree stobs more than once, leaving scrapes on my leg, but the pants showed no signs of abrasion. When they get wet, they dry very, very quickly. One morning we had pouring rain and had to walk through a field of grass and weeds that were knee-high. After crossing the field we had about 15 minutes of walking on a trail, and by the time I got to the truck, the pants were dry. The summit shirt was awesome also! We hunted in temps from 20-75 and the shirt moved moisture very effectively. In fact, I usually kept the Timberline vest on all day, unless I was hiking on an open hillside in the direct sun. That combination kept me warm in the mornings, and kept me dry and comfortable all day long.

The fit of the clothing is great, more snug than traditional cotton clothing which is great for archery hunting. I had never worn 4-way stretch material before, and it is awesome. Very comfortable and very durable clothing. I'm very excited about Sitka Mountain Gear, and can't wait to see the 2007 line! It is what hunter's have been waiting a long time for - camo clothing that is designed to keep us comfortable in all conditions.

Thanks,
    Corey

Default Soft Shell???

Quote Originally Posted by BUGLELK View Post
    Hi Cramer!

Yes, I used Sitka gear exclusively this fall and it performed flawlessly. I used it mainly on a 14 day elk hunt, and I wore it every day (we had access to a washer and dryer 2-3 times throughout the hunt). The pants are very durable...I fell on tree stobs more than once, leaving scrapes on my leg, but the pants showed no signs of abrasion. When they get wet, they dry very, very quickly. One morning we had pouring rain and had to walk through a field of grass and weeds that were knee-high. After crossing the field we had about 15 minutes of walking on a trail, and by the time I got to the truck, the pants were dry. The summit shirt was awesome also! We hunted in temps from 20-75 and the shirt moved moisture very effectively. In fact, I usually kept the Timberline vest on all day, unless I was hiking on an open hillside in the direct sun. That combination kept me warm in the mornings, and kept me dry and comfortable all day long.

The fit of the clothing is great, more snug than traditional cotton clothing which is great for archery hunting. I had never worn 4-way stretch material before, and it is awesome. Very comfortable and very durable clothing. I'm very excited about Sitka Mountain Gear, and can't wait to see the 2007 line! It is what hunter's have been waiting a long time for - camo clothing that is designed to keep us comfortable in all conditions.

Thanks,
    Corey

Corey ... is the outerwear like a soft shell since it is a four way stretch?

My only issue with it is that I assumed anything called "Sitka" would at least be water proof. I criticized this on another forum and got an email from them stating they will have a waterproof lineup for '07.

Right now I am sold on H2P clothing just for the fabric alone. Somebody needs to help them on their coat design, but the pants are fantastic.

I really hope Sitka can get a similar fabric and make a better fitting coat.

Cramer,

Yes, the outer layers are soft and very quiet. The jacket is an awesome fit, it is not your normal baggy jacket. This gear is made to withstand the elements, and when layered with the shirts and the vest, I can't imagine many instances when it wouldn't be all you would ever need.

Thanks,
    Corey

I got mine from http://www.RedmondOutdoors.com when they were launching their new site and didn't have to pay any shipping, I can't wait to use it this year!

I was at Big Rays here in Fairbanks the other day and they had a display setup with the waterproof/windproof sitka stuff. The display had a miniature vest on a manakin type thing with water continually running over the shoulders and down the vest in streams like a waterfall. I put my fingers under the fabric and it was TOTALLY bone dry. I was pretty impressed. I liked the feel of the fabric. They had some swatches there. It's a two layer material but not too bulky and very soft, supple and quiet. Might have to ask Santy Claus for some this year! Oh, they have it on sale too. About 120 bucks for pants and the same for a jacket I think.

CORRECTION- It was Rivers West Gear I was looking at. whoops.
    Last edited by Snyd; 08-17-2007 at 09:10.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Sitka Mountain Pants

Just got back from 9 days of sheep hunting. Wore the Sitka Mountain Pants everyday and loved them. Great wind resistance, dry very fast, still pretty warm even when wet, and are very comfortable. Held up very well, still look new after crawling around on rocks, ect. for 9 days. First couple of days were 65 degrees, the pants have a strap on the inside so you can roll them up about knee high and snap them into place to act as shorts. Sitka has earned my business, good gear.

Anyone else wear the Sitka gear this year while out hunting? I'm wondering how the Sitka 90% pants and jacket would work on a late season deer hunt with snow.

Default Sitka Gear

I spent about 47 days in Sitka gear this year. Great stuff, the 90% would work great, maybe some fleece under layers to be safe.

Steve

Default Sitka

Background - I hate the feeling of 3SP pants. It's a personal thing. I don't like the fit!!!

I had started using Cabelas Microtex. I like them and there will always be a place in my gear list for them. However, by the time you add a belt, suspenders and the pant they are too heavy to be called light weight stuff.

Sitka seemed to have hit the nail on the head. A functional fit, well constructed pant, light weight and great camo...

I got the Mt. Pant, Mt. shirt and 90% jacket.

I used them for several pre-season outings, a goat hunt and a sheep hunt.
    So after this years field test.... They still fit great.

Here is my take...

The Mt Pant - 2nd to none. I love em....

The Mt. Shirt - It is my hunting shirt from now on...

90% jacket - Great fit, very functional... I wore an UnderARmour base, Mt Shirt layer, 90% jacket covered by my Impertech... It was Aug, rainy and windy. And it was barely warm enough. I agree with stid an additional layer of fleece would have been nice. I'll likely keep the jacket but it's not a stand alone for me...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Time to see how good Sitka's warranty service is now. I have to mail in my pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Time to see how good Sitka's warranty service is now. I have to mail in my pants.
    What happened? I was drooling over a set of sitka 90% gear at barneys today but decided to give my cash to Marc Taylor instead for a Wiggys bag. Barneys also had 3 pairs of the "painted" 3sp pants in XL for $100ea.

Default Sitka Gear in ASAT camo

I did not know they made this. Got the 90% Jacket in ASAT. I like th ASAT pattern for Alaska.
    http://astacamo.stores.yahoo.net/sit...r-in-asat.html

Steve

Question

Winmag:

You made no mention of the Mammut Champ pants in your ranking.

Lujon, talk to Marc about the Sitka gear, i've bought some from him and the wife bought me the 90% jacket for CHristmas.

Default someday

Never worn'em... I know what they are but have had other things that top the list from Barney's.... maybe someday!

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    Winmag:

You made no mention of the Mammut Champ pants in your ranking.

Default Sitka

I was just told by a Sitka gear rep that Arcteryx is the designer of their line, and that they have the new stuff coming out for 2008. They took the hood off the 90% jacket, a full zip downpour jacket, and several redesigns on their shirts....hmmm...could be interesting.

Thumbs down Arc Teryx

I wish I had known of the association before X Mas. Arc Teryx is an anti gun, anti hunting co. that does not deserve my business. I consider them similar to Leatherman.

I beleive they are anti military as well. Flood gates open for confirmation or boos...

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    I wish I had known of the association before X Mas. Arc Teryx is an anti gun, anti hunting co. that does not deserve my business. I consider them similar to Leatherman.

I beleive they are anti military as well. Flood gates open for confirmation or boos...
    That makes no sense. Why do they make hunting clothing, then? If I was an anti, that'd be the last thing I would do.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast