Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ignorant fisherman are p***ing me off.

Angry Ignorant fisherman are p***ing me off.

Fished the Klutina this weekend and witnessed so many fish snagged and landed/kept as if it is OK to do so. One fisherman surrounded by a group of 12 others drug a tail snagged fish up the bank at which time I said "that's a snagged fish" hoping he would return it to the water. He just looked at me and said "it's any where on the head, right? I quoted the reg: "Fish unintentionally hooked elsewhere than the mouth must be released immediately. "Snag" means to hook a fish elsewhere than in the mouth." He just shrugged it off and headed back to his camp site. I just shook my head and walked away. Later, another yahoo approached me wearing all his new Cabelas professional fly fisherman apparal and strapping a long barreled revolver to his hip. He questioned me about the "big" red my son just caught. He implied we kept a King, and said some people didn't know the regs. This caught me by surprise and I didn't know wether to laugh in his face, correct him, or pull the brim of his new Sear and Robuck, Johhny Quest, moutain climber hat down over his face. I chose the action that wouldnt get me shot or thrown in jail, ....I quickly pointed out the features of our fish...red body/green headed, spotless body, slightly forked tail, not a full black mouth.gums, etc. etc. and he just walked away. Must have felt pretty embarrarsed..I owned him!! lol What a "richard". I always try my hardest to know my targeted fish, know the regs, etc., yet others come in and rape/pillage our resources and there's never a warden around when you need one. They always plead ignorant, and there are more of them every year. Saw another couple of guys fishing all day, walk away with limits, and come back out later in the day to catch another limit. Wow, you can do that? What have I been missing out on all these years?. Saw another guy or two fishing accross from me with 2 bags full of fillets, must have caught about 12 fish between them. Again...wt(heck)! Ok, done venting now

I fished the Russian last week and you would see people early in the morning go get a limit, head back about 3 get another limit and then go do the just before midnight and just after and get two more. F&G didn't seem to give a crap though, they were having a good time for busting people who's backpacks were sitting on the shore.... pretty lame if you ask me.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default just thieves

liers and thieves, thieving the fish then lieing about it!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I fished the Russian last week and you would see people early in the morning go get a limit, head back about 3 get another limit and then go do the just before midnight and just after and get two more. F&G didn't seem to give a crap though, they were having a good time for busting people who's backpacks were sitting on the shore.... pretty lame if you ask me.

i wonder how the fishing is on the "Pirates of the caribiean ride" in disney land...

not near as many regs i bet....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Just take a picture and record the details and send it to F&G.
    If you see a lot of that going on a call might get a resopnse from the troopers. There are too many butt heads out there that think the rules apply to everyone but them.
    Make the call.

Wow, I am fishing in the wrong spot (if I wanted light enforcement). I was trolling out on the north end of Knight Island yesterday and we all had th show our fishing licenses. I was even enformed that I needed registration on my dingy on the roof ($25/year) since I had a kicker on board for it. He did not give me a ticket, and was a nice guy and polite, but I wonder what the cost of enforcement is here vs. somewhere where there are more than a couple boats every 5 miles. Maybe they are out due to the compaints about stolen shrimp pots...

Jim

hahahahahah

great vent! and great quote:

"and I didn't know wether to laugh in his face, correct him, or pull the brim of his new Sear and Robuck, Johhny Quest, moutain climber hat down over his face"

These people sooner or later realize that the gear doesn't make them any better of a fisherman or a huntsman, and then its no longer fun for them and they go on to thier next "adventure". Its hard I know, because it used to be if you ignored them they would eventually go away. They want all of the reward without any of the work, education, or practice required to get there.

Happy Fishing

Where are the fur and feather cops when you need them? In my 10 years worth of fishing, I have only seen one ticket written out on the river. Why don't we have more of them?

Combine the very low risk of getting caught and the puny fines imposed for breaking the law and clearly it isn't enough, people don't 'get it' yet. Contact your legislator to push for more enforcement officers on the river and stiffer punishment. If you get caught being a jackazz (i.e. snagging, taking more than your limit), the cops should take all your gear and your fishing license for the rest of the year AND dish out a $1000 fine minimum.

That would take care of some of the bigger clown faces out on the water.

Tell you what, if we don't do something drastic and people are allowed to continue to 'regulate themeselves' (like the banks), can you imagine what it will be like fishing up here in another 20 years?

I wouldn't mind seeing ADFG officers at every boat launch and fishing hole in the state, opening coolers, impounding fishing rods and boats, ripping up fishing licenses and dishing out massive fines to every criminal taking illegal fish. It is unfortunate that it comes to this. It is unfotunate that the 'honor system' doesn't work and people don't have more respect for the resource.

Dragging a tail hooked fish is clearly snagging or a foul hooked fish no iffs and or butts. But after 35 years of fishing everywhere imaginable from saltwater billfish tournaments to semi-pro bass fishing tournaments, and all over Alaska, I have to admit that fishing for reds (though I enjoy it) is about as far from real fishing as imaginable. Hoping to have a red open its mouth long enough for your fly that is flowing on the edge of the bank actually go into its mouth is quite far from any definition of fishing to me. And if you think that they are biting your fly , your crazy, they swim constantly opening and closing their mouths and you are snagging them in the mouth essentially if you catch them in the mouth. It is just merely the technique that works for catching them within Alaska's defintion for sportfishing, so everyone does it, though IMO it is very far from true sportfishing . As everyone who has fished for reds has seen, there are holes to catch them, and within the holes there are usually 1-3 ideal spots in which your presentation will actually catch the fish in the mouth, while everyone around those 1-3 ideal spots is foul hooking their fish because they are in the less than ideal location for the rig to work just right. IMO ,if the fish are foul hooked from the gill plates back on the body, I say foul hooked, but if the hook is anywhere near the mouth "If" someone wants to keep it it I believe they should be able to, even though this is contrary to the way the law is written. I would say that 70% of the reds that I see caught and kept are not hooked in the mouth,but somewhere close to the mouth, and personally I dont see what the big deal is, and obviously nor does the F&G or they would have thousands of officers lining the rivers across Alaska looking to enforce it! Its merely a fun activity catching these tasty fish that run through Alaska's rivers and numbering in the hundreds of thousands! Take a deep breath guys, and quit taking stuff so personally!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    you are snagging them in the mouth essentially if you catch them in the mouth. It is just merely the technique that works for catching them
    Yup. We call it flossing down here. Normally happens in areas of high concentrations of holding fish, mostly near the terminal areas around hatcheries.

I'm not a fan of flossing, BUT....

I'm not against it when it comes to a large population of sockeye that for the majority, are moving and not biting, and are there for the sole purpose as a Meat Fishery. To that, I say floss away.

Blatant snagging happens by the uneducated, or those that are too greedy. Hate to see it, but it happens anywhere where there are large concentrations of fish to be caught.

We have a great little river down here in WA that is the *perfect* river to float fish eggs for EAGER biting kings. Do people float fish for kings on that river? 99% of the people there are using long leaders, a hook and yarn, and whip their rod up to "set the hook" on any line bump they feel. Snaggers city. A real shame as those chinooks really do want to chomp on eggs and do so very readily.

Only takes a couple of guys whipping up the rods to spook the chinooks in to not biting.

Blatant snaggers suck.

stimpy

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing ADFG officers at every boat launch and fishing hole in the state, opening coolers, impounding fishing rods and boats, ripping up fishing licenses and dishing out massive fines to every criminal taking illegal fish.
    Why do I think that this type of law enforcement would generate more whining and crying than we're already seeing here?

I am a stickler for the regs too but ultimately if they are going to exceed the escapement goals then I am with Cub on this one. Heck an hour down the road they pull the same fish out with nets!

That said I do feel that reds are more "catch-able" than Cub implies. I hooked up about 1 every 5 minutes in a creek last year (not the russian) No one else was doing nearly as well. It is just a matter of finding where they are holding and getting the weight and leader set right for the spot. When you calibrate your cast it is a ton of fun! I only foul hooked a couple times in probably 30-40 fish. That was a great day on the water!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Dragging a tail hooked fish is clearly snagging or a foul hooked fish no iffs and or butts. But after 35 years of fishing everywhere imaginable from saltwater billfish tournaments to semi-pro bass fishing tournaments, and all over Alaska, I have to admit that fishing for reds (though I enjoy it) is about as far from real fishing as imaginable. Hoping to have a red open its mouth long enough for your fly that is flowing on the edge of the bank actually go into its mouth is quite far from any definition of fishing to me. And if you think that they are biting your fly , your crazy, they swim constantly opening and closing their mouths and you are snagging them in the mouth essentially if you catch them in the mouth. It is just merely the technique that works for catching them within Alaska's defintion for sportfishing, so everyone does it, though IMO it is very far from true sportfishing . As everyone who has fished for reds has seen, there are holes to catch them, and within the holes there are usually 1-3 ideal spots in which your presentation will actually catch the fish in the mouth, while everyone around those 1-3 ideal spots is foul hooking their fish because they are in the less than ideal location for the rig to work just right. IMO ,if the fish are foul hooked from the gill plates back on the body, I say foul hooked, but if the hook is anywhere near the mouth "If" someone wants to keep it it I believe they should be able to, even though this is contrary to the way the law is written. I would say that 70% of the reds that I see caught and kept are not hooked in the mouth,but somewhere close to the mouth, and personally I dont see what the big deal is, and obviously nor does the F&G or they would have thousands of officers lining the rivers across Alaska looking to enforce it! Its merely a fun activity catching these tasty fish that run through Alaska's rivers and numbering in the hundreds of thousands! Take a deep breath guys, and quit taking stuff so personally!

i agree....

and don't leave your luggage unattended.... you never know some one might slip in a rotten fish bomb...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Go to Jim Creek when the silvers are in.... It is the same story, blatant snagging with no regard for limits.

People suck!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Angry Community enforcement is always best...

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Just take a picture and record the details and send it to F&G.
    If you see a lot of that going on a call might get a resopnse from the troopers. There are too many butt heads out there that think the rules apply to everyone but them.
    Make the call.
    While it is often tempting to call the troopers... I would only report serious violations.... I often shame ppl or even pull out my camera or better yet video camera and just be polite and go ask them a series of questions, if they know the rules they will nervous and jittery and get out of dodge very quickly.

If everyone just ignores their actions, then they will continue to rob and pillage our wildlife...

Couple of my pet peaves.... Fighting kings on the middle river w/ very light rainbow tackle..... I will stop and harrass anyone doing so, let along making a video endorcing this behavior to sell more fishing trips.

Another pet peave... Mishandling fish that are too be released... Technically called harrasment or molestation... Typically invovles draging the fish all the way out of the water, letting it get completely covered in sand and or mud then not even riviving it and kicking it back in to the river.... These ppl get an earful from me.

Proud and Free in Delta Junction, Alaska.

I've only ever once snagged a fish illegally that I can remember, and where did it go, back in the water, and it was a nice 7lb rainbow. Once upon a time, there were no regs, so we fished how we wanted, hunted how we wanted, for food. But now there are regs, and if you can't follow the rules that we follow, you don't deserve the right. So many people have so little, but follow the rules anyway, but when you take advantage and get greedy, it brings about what will prevent any of us from having the pleasure of fishing. Fishing regulations are put in place so we CAN keep coming back year after year and enjoying the outdoors. Don't spoil it for everyone.

Maybe they should start deputizing people. At least have the authority to write citations. Even if they didn't have very many people doing it but they advertised it then people might think twice about who is fishing next to them.

Default Great post akcub...

My wife hate's fishing for reds because they don't "bite." She loves to catch silvers, but is hesitant to "snag sockeyes in the mouth."

So..Fishnman, I take it the reds are in at Klutina?

Tim

I purposely refuse to fish in any combat area. I fish for the meat, but I wont give up my peace and solitude for it. I caught my whole seasons worth in 1 day out on the Copper with a friend, was an excellent weekend.

In regards to the Russian, I would honestly like to see right of way on the river enforced to give fish the ability to get to their spawning grounds Sounds silly, but when everyone posts about the lack of fish leading up to the falls, perhaps the barricade of waders has something to do with it.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I think people just don't know what they are doing when it comes to catching reds. And you can't hardly blame someone that only fishes once or twice every couple of years. I used to snag them in the back and in the tail, but once I learned and started playing with my leader length and size of weight, I set the hook in the mouth just about every time I hook up, and so does everyone else I fish with. It is just a matter of inexperience.

And snagged fish don't bother me nearly as much as people taking more fish than they should and people that intentionally use the 'Kenai twich' or illegal gear to snag.

If you really need that much meat, go dipnetting for it or head down to New Sagiya. Pound for pound once you factor in fuel and time on the water, you'll be way ahead. There is absolutely no good reason / excuse to take more than your limit.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast