Thread: Camp cooking?

Default Camp cooking?

Anyone have good recipes to share? Tips for things to prep at home. Hotdogs are getting old. Easy clean up is always a plus. I make a berry cobbler in tin foil packets that turns out pretty good. I mixed the topping at ahead of time and just sprinked it over some frozen mixed berries with some butter and let it sit over the campfire for a bit. Next time I'm bringing the ice cream maker ball.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

one of my favorite is smoking some ribs at home then slow cooking them over the coals while out for the day...we pack heavy on the food stuffs.

here is a tasty TREAT...

stiff artisain bread. buttered. and garlicd..

lightly toased on a sheet, grill, etc, a slice or too of summer sausage, salami etc.... and bri cheese grilled over the top...with a glass of port over the camp fire at night.

we cook over the fire every time we go out... and do so just as we would on the grill at home. the exception is using grill plates and such or cast pans and pots. due ot the frequant use of black spruce for fuel. keep your fire small and slow.

we always plan for ONE solid well prepaired meal a day.. breakfast and luch can be on the run... but dinner. is always a spread. espesally when combo'd with some fresh grayling or trout from the creek that day.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Anyone have good recipes to share? Tips for things to prep at home. Hotdogs are getting old. Easy clean up is always a plus. I make a berry cobbler in tin foil packets that turns out pretty good. I mixed the topping at ahead of time and just sprinked it over some frozen mixed berries with some butter and let it sit over the campfire for a bit. Next time I'm bringing the ice cream maker ball.

The old ice cream maker ball. I remember when the kids were young we would use 1 small coffee can for the ice cream inside of a larger coffee can with the ice & salt, tape it up real good then send the boys kicking that can around the campground a few times, good stuff.

We always have at least one meal of stew made at home, vacuum sealed and frozen. Pot of boiling water and hardly any mess.

And for breakfast try a ziploc bag omelet.

Just cut all of the veggies and meats up at home, 2 or 3 eggs into a ziploc add the other ingredients and boil for about 10-12 minutes pop it out and roll up in a flour tortilla with a little salsa. Can't beat it.

We use to make "foil dinners" when I was a boy scout. Pretty easy to make and you can make it as tastey as you wish.

Hamburger
    veggies (onions, carrots and potatos)
    a little butter
    salt and pepper

Make a nice patty and put it on a big sheet of foil, season it, put veggies over the top of it, add butter and seasoning then wrap it all up so it doesn't leak. Cook on hot coals for about 20 minutes or so then voila, instant dinner. The kids will love these too.

Default Prep ahead

Breakfast Burritos.
    I made nice big burritos at home with the usual, green chili, sausage, eggs, cheese, potatoes etc. Double wrapped in foil, and then in the freezer. Made enough for each morning. After they were frozen I put a mornings worth in a large zip lock. I just tossed them in the cooler along with bloody mary mix or OJ. Each morning I would get up and start the fire for coffee. I would get some coals going and put the foil wrapped burritos on the grill. I would keep turning them by hand until they get to hot to handle and then chows on. A little hot sauce from a packet and you have a nice hot hearty breakfast. No dishes to clean, only a little foil to pack out. I had no complaints and a request to bring them again next time.

On the same trip I also had foil hamburger packets made up and frozen as well like those mentioned above. I used onions, and frozen hash browns with some BBQ sauce on top. Cooked these up for dinner and slid them onto a toasted bun and it made a great sandwich. No cleanup required.

We also cooked about 20 lbs of fresh halibut in several ways including poached in wine (4 lbs each) and not a morsel remained.

Also last year Super Suppers in Eagle River had some camping food that you could make up and freeze or get some already frozen. We tried it and then copied some of there ideas.

Default Mountain pies

We live off of mountain pies. Small cast iron pie makers on the end of metal rods. We use two slices of bread and fill them with whatever we want and then cook them over the hot coals.

I usually make pizza or pie fillings. They also make a nice ruben too.

Quote Originally Posted by Snug View Post
    We live off of mountain pies. Small cast iron pie makers on the end of metal rods. We use two slices of bread and fill them with whatever we want and then cook them over the hot coals.

I usually make pizza or pie fillings. They also make a nice ruben too.
    We use these also. Ham & Cheese is a good one. Also try biscuits in them, filled or plain, good stuff.

Default Got to get a dutch oven...

Dutch oven?

This is my suggestion to anyone wanting better camp food.

Sounds like you guys/gals are using coolers. Great, that gives you tons of options. On our float trips we don't take coolers but we still eat great. The pic below is of course pineapple upside down cake. Powdered eggs, powdered oil, cake mix (pineapple Betty Crocker) and a can of pineapples and jar of cherries. Easy as pie (well cake) you might say. We use the Aluminum dutch ovens as they weigh about 1/3 the weight of cast iron. Campmor sells them. For dinner, we will make grayling gumbo with Zatarains gumbo mix (bag of dried mix at grocery store). Use 1 cup of water less than it calls for. Add grayling slivers (or any fish or sausage) after it is about half done. Great meal. With the dutch oven, make garlic biscuits (Bisquick) to go with the gumbo. We also use the dutch oven to make jalepeno cornbread to go with chilli. We dehydrate jalepenos, meat, sauce, etc.. for our chilli and cornbread. Of course if you have a cooler it would be even easier. Make the chilli and put the jalepenos in the Jiffy (or Krusteaz for you northerners). Cornbread in the dutch oven to go with chilli is a great riverside meal. Lots of other ideas of course. Picking up one of the many books on dutch oven cooking is a great start. So many books out there with great recipes and ideas. These are two meals we repeat on every float trip. Easy to make and taste great. For desserts, any cake will cook great in the dutch oven. Talk about a morale booster The worse the weather, the more it matters.

Below are some ramblings for anyone looking for lightweight and non-refrigerated ideas for food for camping or float trips....

On remote fly in float trips, weight/volume are always obstacles when planning meals. Also, if you are not carrying a cooler, you have more to factor in. While there are many ways to do things, some work better than others. Each float trip, we revise our food choices, holding on to what worked last time, and improving on food choices we were not so happy. Below is a brief run down of how I do things. Perhaps some of this information will generate some thought to help you better plan food on your next float trip.

For breakfast, we like bagels with the precooked bacon packs. The Boars Head comes in two seperate pouches which is convenient. Oscar Meyer comes in one bigger pack. We like block cheese and Harvest Food eggs (see their website for all kinds of great products). I use their powdered oil/shortening in my dutch oven. Works just like regular oil but without the weight/mess. We also take hot oatmeal and recently discovered Richmoor cold cereal. Just add water type. It comes in granola with strawberries and granola with raspberries. Both are delicious. I am 6' 6" and weigh 300 lbs. So I will buy 4 packs of the cereal and vacuum seal. 2.5 for me and 1.5 for my wife. If you eat a 2,000 calorie a day diet normally, perhaps one pack would be enough for breakfast. They taste great. I buy mine from www.wildernessdining.com This site sells lots of other great food items. Check out their website for all kinds of food related items. Great selection of hard to find items. I get the peanut butter and jelly individual packs there too. Great for putting on flour tortilla wraps or bagels for snacks/lunches. Very convenient. Comes with strawberry or grape jelly. These are larger packs and have plenty to make a sandwich or bagel. They also sell cheese in packs like this. That with some pilot bread would make a great snack/lunch.

For lunch we take Mountain House Pro Paks. Vacuum sealed and slightly smaller portions than the regular Mtn House meals, they pack small and light yet are plenty for lunch. They come in about 10 different types. Spaghetti, Chili Mac, and Lasagna are my favorites. Go to the Mountain House website and order there. I just placed a big order myself for an upcoming NW Alaska in Sept. They ship fast. One nice thing about having these meals for lunch everyday is that it makes things simple. No meal planning. Save that for the dinners. Keep it simple. Just boil some water riverside and have lunch. This route also saves weight compared to many other food ideas.

For dinner, we go through more trouble. For the purpose of good morale perhaps. We take Darn Good (brand) dried chilli bags and make Jiffy cornbread in the dutch oven. We also make grayling gumbo. We take Zatarains Gumbo (dry mix) and slivers of about 2 lbs of grayling. Cook slow while the Bisquick garlic biscuits cook in the aluminum GSI 10" dutch oven. It only weighs 4 lbs and can be found on the wilderness dining website above. Also at Campmor.com. We cook fish for about 3/7 meals too. Usually dolly vardon. We get Idaho instant potatoes (garlic is our favorite). We will make garlic bisuits in the dutch oven to go with. We also make mac and cheese to go with fish. Simple things like that. Some of the easy to make Suddenly Salad brands are nice too. They have a ranch and italian cold pasta salad. Great sides for a fish meal. We have also packed the 10" pita pizza deals. Take the pizza sauce in the bags and some block cheese to grate. Two person may be enough. And of course the pepperoni. In a pinch, we will just have one of the extra Mtn House Pro Paks. Maybe too tired to cook or got into camp late. Bad weather and such. I always carry 2-3 extra Mtn House Pro Paks. One tip, tape a disposable plastic spoon to the lasagna packs. The cheese in them is nearly impossible to get off your standard Lexan spoon. We burn the disposable spoon with the bag the meal was in. Dishes done.

Save the clean lexan spoon for stirring the 100 proof peppermint schnapps into the hot chocolate. Also, Captain Morgans rum and hot apple cider is a good camp fire drink. For other times of the day, we take Crystal Light sticks and perhaps one gatorade packet per person/per day.

For deserts, we take the Backpackers Pantry (brand) cheese cake and cream pie (same things). I love lemon, but chocolate mousse, strawberry, banana, and dark chocolate are great. Just add and stir some cold water into the bag, then sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top (included in the pack) and then let it sit and think for about 10 minutes. This desert must be tried. Amazing stuff.

For snacks, the normal fare. Dried fruit and beef jerky vacuum seals to very small packs. Leave out the mango and apricots as it makes everything sticky. We love Cliff bars as they can get squished and are not effected by heat. Comes in about 20 flavors. And of course some home made gorp with the larger size M&M's.

For coffee, only Peet's arabian mocha java or major dickisons blend will do. Order online from Peet's and specify that you want press pot grind. You do this when finalizing the order. Get a french press to take on the trip. I have a stainless model that I got from Campmor. I think they quit carrying that model, but REI and others carry it. GSI also makes some lexan french presses. They work fine, I just preferred the stainless model. Point is, this makes great coffee and it is the perfect way to start a day on a float trip. We get small 16,8,4 ounce nalgene bottles (campmor) and put the coffee, powdered creamer, and sweetener in them. Good stuff man.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

You can prep stews in advance and seal them in vacuum sealer. I put steaks in with marinade, then freeze them. You can either leave them out to thaw or throw the pack in a little warm water. Halibut with olive oil is nice as well, you can coat with blackened seasoning prior to grilling (or throwing in a hot cast iron skillet) and it goes down well.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Mountain pies and dutch oven

We use our "hobo pie" irons a lot as well. In addition to a great sandwich and pie maker with bread, we used ready made pie crust to make chicken pot pies. Great easy meal, made the filling at home and put it in a zip lock.

I always bring a dutch oven or two nested together. My wife's favorite recipe is sour cream chicken enchiladas from one of our dutch oven cook books. My son's favorite is lemon-lime soda apple dumplings, from Scouting Magazine, yum! I use a lot of the betty crocker muffin mixes, just add water. two pouches bake up great in a 8 inch dutch oven as a coffee cake. Another of our favorites is to bake a cornish game hen with stuffing, potatoes and corn on the cob in one dutch oven.

Thumbs up

I love to shoot a few Ptarmigan or Grouse and skin and gut them. Leave them whole and pack them full of Blueberries. Wrap them up in foil and put them in the fire for awhile. They come out tender and tasty.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

DAN!! where do you get powdered oil?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Harvest Foodworks...

This stuff works great man. I was impressed to say the least. No more messy oil filled 16 oz Nalgene bottles for me. This powder is the deal for back country trips. Just sprinkle some in the pan or dutch oven and you are good to go. Literally turns to oil in front of your eyes. Heat turns the powder to oil. No taste, no drawbacks, just a great product.

Powdered Shortening (new larger size) - unique cooking and baking product that replaces vegetable oil. Eliminates problems of leaks or spills.
    New larger size
    Net Weight 2 Portions (g) Serving Size (oz) Energy (calories) Protein (g) Fat (g) Carbohydrates (g) Water Required (cups)
    100 1.8 455 N/A 50 0 N/A
    Ingredients:
    Partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils.
    Preparation:
    Suggestions for Use:

For frying, sprinkle a small amount of powder into a pan. The powder quickly turns to liquid oil as the pan heats. (This is not recommended for deep fat frying, but is ideal for cooking Harvest eggs, pancakes and burgers).

For baking, powdered shortening can be blended with other dry ingredients. Use only half the amount of powdered shortening called for in the recipe (that is for example if 1/2 cup of oil or shortening is called for, use only 1/4 cup of powdered shorte ning).

As a calorie boost, particularly useful in cold weather, just add the powdered shortening to a main meal. The flavour of the meal will be unaffected.

http://www.harvestfoodworks.com/listproducts.cfm?id=62

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan,
    How far does a 2 serving portion go? Do you use it all at once or can you use partial servings? For instance if you are going to fry up a couple of trout or grayling does it use all of a 2 serving portion? I am going to order some and curious how far it goes. I am going to order a half dozen breakfasts, lunch and dinners to see how I like them. If I like them I might order a 30 day emergency supply and use it in the summer and replenish for the winter as I am more concerned with emergency rations in the winter as in the summer I am better able to fend for myself. I would be interested in your thoughts as to favorites.Any to stay away from? Thanks very much for the links.

You can use just a small portion of the oil powder at a time. Can't remember for sure, but I likely had 4-5 baking events per package. That would be me oiling a 10" aluminum dutch oven, baking biscuits, cornbread, etc.. each time. A little goes a long ways if just getting enough oil in a pan or oiling the bottom of a dutch oven. I took the powder and put it in 4 and 8 ounce nalgene bottles I got at Campmor (website). Very neat way to carry the powder. I will say, this stuff is great. Go ahead and order 2-3 packs of it. You will use it and it never goes bad from what I can tell. As for meals, I have not ate many from Harvest Foodworks. I did order their Italian Hamburger (or similar name) and their spaghetti. I want to make the meat into balls and put it in the spaghetti. Sounds good, but it still sits in the cabinet. I need to try that out and see how it goes. Could be a fine riverside meal. Most my dried stuff is from Mountain House. I eat the Mountain House "Pro Paks" for lunch most days on my float trips. Cook a proper dinner most all the time, but the Mountain House are tough to beat for convenience. I like the Chilli Mac, Lasagna, and Spaghetti. Beef stew is decent, but you will grow tired of it quickly perhaps. I did.

Default Pork spare ribs

We made dutch oven BBQ ribs last weekend. Put the ribs in come coke over night the put a layer of onions/ribs/onions/ribs/onions then filled it up with some rasberry chipotole BBQ sauce and cooked for 45 min. It was great. Wrapped a few potatoes in foil and threw them on the coals too.

I love the dutch oven, wish I had 2.

Default Sounds great...

Your killing me man

My wife made this oven out of a cardboard box lined with time foil at a Girlscout Encampment. I laughed at the thing until she made biscuits and a pie on a trip. Three charcoal briquettes heats that thing to 350* for an hour
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Dude!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My wife made this oven out of a cardboard box lined with time foil at a Girlscout Encampment. I laughed at the thing until she made biscuits and a pie on a trip. Three charcoal briquettes heats that thing to 350* for an hour
    That's freakin' awesome camp technology. More details please.