Thread: Overnight Halibut Charter?

Default Overnight Halibut Charter?

Does anyone know of an operation out of Whittier or Seward that does "overnight" halibut charters where you can catch two before and after midnight? If not, what about Homer or Ninilchik?

Thanks,
    Tim

Get on google and type in what your looking for. You will find it, but I doubt they will have spots open. Most everything is booked now.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I found one out of Homer and it was $2,000 for the boat with 4-5 fisherman (about $400-500 each). I haven't seen anything out of Seward/Whittier though.

Tim

Default Overnight Halibut out of Homer

Last year I used Alaska Coastal Marine for an overnight halibut trip. Had a great time. The boat even has berths so you can sleep. We hit three fantastic fishing spots during the night. They can take you out a lot farther when you don't have to come back at the end of the day.

http://www.alaskacoastalmarine.com/o...hing_trips.htm

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Hey Tim if you consder Valdez, i would recomend John Goodhand great outfitt and family... i have fished off their boats for years. and i believe he told me this fall he was doing almost exclusive overniters...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Excellent. I filled out one of their forms. I'm still trying to score around Seward, but coming up empty. How many people do they book on the boat at once?

Thanks,
    Tim

I would do Homer man. The catch rate and average size fish are much larger.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Try Crackerjack out of Seward.

saltwater safafri does some out of seward. i think they have a lodge u can spend the night in Chenega

Thanks for the leads. I'll look into Crackerjack and Salt Water Safari's.

Vince, I never thought of Valdez...any silvers coming in by mid-July?

Tim

Default Whittier overnighters

http://alaskan4starcharters.com/

whittier. If Jody can't do it because of previous bookings I'm sure he can point you to another boat that might be able to hook you up. Not sure but I think the Sweat Pea books overnighters too.

Nice boat, clean fast and safe with real nice gear. Captain is extremely knowledgeable and a hoot to be around.

I landed in whittier about 6 years ago looking to book a last minute end of the year trip for family from out of state. That trip was with Captain Ron on the Gold Runner. Both Captains search for respectable fish, neither are happy with chickens and will move if that's what you're catching. They both will work their @$$E$ off to limit the boat with 40+ pounders. In 6 years, I've only come home once where we didn't put a 100+ pounder in the boat.

Give Jody a ring & tell him Mike says "HI". I don't get anything out of it, just don't get to talk to him much during fishin season.

Mike

Charterboat Operator

give Joe a call @ Gas and Time, http://www.gasandtime.com/, heck of nice guy.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Thanks for the leads. I'll look into Crackerjack and Salt Water Safari's.

Vince, I never thought of Valdez...any silvers coming in by mid-July?

Tim

yeah they are a little bit out yet... mid july is cram packed with pinks int eh harbor. but the silvers are trolling by then and few off the beaches.
    end of july early aug they are filling up fast.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default overnight charter

Default Overnighter

Checked the Whittier website. Seems way overpriced for all of their services in comparison to Seward.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Does anyone know of an operation out of Whittier or Seward that does "overnight" halibut charters where you can catch two before and after midnight? If not, what about Homer or Ninilchik?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Just as a note, since I don't see it's been mentioned - there are two types of "overnight" halibut charters. There are what amount to two (or more) full days of fishing while staying out overnight. They aren't so much focused on getting a quick limit prior to and then after midnight; sure, double limits, but also much more fishing and more species. To my knowledge, these are all that is offered out of Seward and most likely Whittier. I could be wrong.

The other type is particulary focused on getting 4 fish over an evening and the following morning. It isn't going to be two full days of fishing and you won't target any other fish (though you could get an incidental catch). These are available out of Homer.

If you search the forum, there's been a lot of discussion before on this topic, and the merits (or lack thereof) of this latter type trip. Crackerjack runs overnight/multi day trips out of Seward - gonna cost you for any of this type. In Homer, the double limit trips can be not much more than a regular day charter.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Whitter harbor office

Contact the Harbor they have a list of charters available. They can Fax it or Email it. The harbor office is very helpful. 907-472-2327 ext 115

We go out with Matt Kopec, http://www.fishwhittier.com/ He does overnighters, or anything you want him to. You will most likely go out pick up some shrimp out of his pots that he has dropped, then head out to fish and load up. He is very professional, out of Whittier so a quick trip from Anchorage. We go out with him and a few friends every year. Right around July 4th. can't go wrong with him. Can't say more nice things about him. he's great.