Thread: Best rowing frame mods?

Default Best rowing frame mods?

Ok, so I have this new 15' Alaska Outfitters Professional which is set up really well. I have already taken it on a 1 day Matanuska trip and a 3 day Gulkana trip and am totally impressed with it.

My issue now is I am thinking about some modifications/additions to the rowing frame and wondered what some of you more "experienced" rafters have come up with...

I'd really like a way to mount a rod holder, but most rail setups I have found are for 7/8" rail. I haven't found any mounts for the 1 1/4" frame rail yet.

Also, I'd like to figure out a safe storage idea for my rods while floating between stops so I don't have to break the rods down or worry about getting them caught in sweepers.

What excellent mods have you all come up with and do you have any photos?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I used to keep a 10' piece of 2" schedule 40 PVC strapped to the side of my pontoon, on one end I glued a cap and on the other end I threaded the PVC and cut a notch in it then had a threaded cap for that end. When I would want to float down to the next gravel bar/fishing hole I'd slide my flyrod into the PCV pipe, my reel foot would slid into the notch that I had cut out, then I'd just screw on the cap to secure the rod. When I got down to the next hole I'd just unscrew the cap, pull the rod out and start fishing. It worked pretty well.

For a simple rod holder you can use a Hollaender #10 or #12 offset cross fitting and stick an 8" piece of 1 1/4 schedule 40 pipe in it. I think I would use the #12 short barrel version since this would give you a little more flexibility in where it could be pointed. Either way, just attach it to one of your frame's side rail. These are the same fittings that are used for oar mounts in Hollaender based frame setups.

Or you could use a #21 adjustable cross fitting and attach it to a cross rail on your frame. I think that one's long enough you could use it without the pipe.

Here's a page that shows them: http://www.hollaender.com/index.cfm?...TOKEN=78616810

You should be able to get the fittings local. In Anchorage, AK Steel sells them. And Jim King at Alaska Series rafts sells a beefed up version of the cross fitting for his oar stands, but I think he stocks 1 1/2 inch gear for his frames.

for rod storage I also have a 2 inch 10' long PVC tube strapped to the frame. I cut a notch also but instead of using a cap, I used a strip of velcro around the notch to keep the rod from sliding out. works great.

I use those plastic composite 3 rod holders on my boats. I have one bolted to the front of my fishcat 3 years now, and I put two bolted back to back on the front of my new Tributary 14 SB. don't use the provided screws, the plastic tears out, use some bolts and washers. I will see if I can find some pictures, or take one tonight. We float with lots of family and fishing poles, so I need a lot of rod holders.

Default 10 feet of PVC...

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    ... 10' piece of 2" schedule 40 PVC strapped to the side of my pontoon, ... When I would want to float down to the next gravel bar/fishing hole I'd slide my flyrod into the PCV pipe, my reel foot would slid into the notch that I had cut out, then I'd just screw on the cap to secure the rod. When I got down to the next hole I'd just unscrew the cap, pull the rod out and start fishing. It worked pretty well.
    Wow. Slide your flyrod in and row. Cool idea, especially for the oarsman, who can't tend his rod AND the sweepers. Thanks.