Thread: Caught some nice Klutina Kings this weekend

Thumbs up Caught some nice Klutina Kings this weekend

LOL OK, now that I have your attention, I actually "skewered" a juvy King while flippin for reds. I think the coho fly was longer than the fish; talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time! Unfortunately, I don't think he made it! I also hooked into a bruiser King (again, accidentally on coho fly) that just about spooled me until I tightened the drag to snap and save my line. Thought it was a red at first, and almost lost my finger and thumb when I tried to thumb my spool...big mistake when that king took off down that swift current! Anywhoo... the Reds were in pretty good this weekend. Most folks were doing very well. On Sunday morning I landed a couple but lost about 25... yes my technique needs fine tuning, plus I was in a deeper/swifter stretch of water. Anyway, red are in... King season "might" open 1 July, the owner at Klutina King charters mentioned there will be a F/G hearing this week to determine if the Klutina is also shut down for Kings (Aka Gulkana River). That's gotta suck for guides who wait all year for this opportinity. I'll have pics of reds to post soon.

oh man that was mean! and yes it worked...
    and yes the closures are hard on alot of people. one of my friends had to cancel 45 trips. he is pretty upset to say the least.

Default king fishing

I was talking to one of the guides while I was their and he said you could fish for kings all you want but you had to release them. I thought that sounded strange. He said some of his clients were hooking into kings while red fishing.

Default that does sound wierd!

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    I was talking to one of the guides while I was their and he said you could fish for kings all you want but you had to release them. I thought that sounded strange. He said some of his clients were hooking into kings while red fishing.
    I actually hooked one Sunday and it nearly spooled me until I could tighten the drag to snap my line. Kinda shocks you when your flippin for reds and suddenly 40 pounds of King hit that Klutina current! Yikes!! I did see many guide boats ferrying clients around, I assume for red fishing, not catch and release king fishing..lol

Default Klutina Kings

I floated the Klutina in my raft over the weekend and saw guide boats with King rig set ups doing the catch and release thing. Why harass the few fish that are there....doesn't seem right with all the reds around to catch.