Thread: Well it's not fishing.....

Default Well it's not fishing.....

but we're going fishing, so I will put it here.

Landing in Anchorage, getting our U-Haul off of Old Seward Hwy, then headed to Walmart up on "A" Street. It does not show it as a super walmart, so where would you recommend we do our grocery shopping.

Nothing fancy, burger, brats, chicken, canned veggies, coffee, etc.

There is another walmart off diamond, it was in the process of being turned into a super walmart, not sure if it's complete, maybe someone else knows for sure.

Default Super Walmart

We stopped at Diamond last Wednesday and food section is not complete yet. Interesting thing, I bought a couple seafood shipping boxes for $9.45 each. Yesterday at Soldotna Fred Meyers same boxes were under $8.00

Default Which direction

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    but we're going fishing, so I will put it here.

Landing in Anchorage, getting our U-Haul off of Old Seward Hwy, then headed to Walmart up on "A" Street. It does not show it as a super walmart, so where would you recommend we do our grocery shopping.

Nothing fancy, burger, brats, chicken, canned veggies, coffee, etc.
    Are you headed north or south from Anchorage? If north, there is a Super Walmart just before entering Wasilla. Right off the Parks Hwy. There is also a Super Walmart in Palmer off the Glenn Hwy I believe. If you're headed south than I would hit one of the grocery stores in Anchorage. If you go to the Walmart on "A" street there is the Carrs/Safeway in the Sears mall(on Denali - between Northern Lights and Benson) or there is the Fred Myer 1 block further east(at intersection of Seward Hwy and Benson/Northern Lights). If you go to the Dimond Walmart(located on the Old Seward Hwy south of Dimond Blvd) there is a Carrs/Safeway further south on Huffman Rd. It is also right by the New Seward Hwy. Just keep in mind, if you shop at the valley(Wasilla/Palmer) stores, they have sales tax on non-food items(unlike in Anchorage).

HA-HA... Are you useing a Uhaul van for your motor home???
    I have done that many times,, 19.95 a day ain't bad..

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    HA-HA... Are you useing a Uhaul van for your motor home???
    I have done that many times,, 19.95 a day ain't bad..
    Right now we are just planning on using the Uhaul to keep all of our gear in.

We are planning on using tents for sleeping but if "Push comes to shove" I'm sure that between the van and the Uhaul we can sleep 8 or 9 guys out of the rain.

Steve

Default Fishing

2 Paws, where are you going fishing? Let us know how you do, you know us "trolls" like the Alaska experience whether it is fishing or hunting. Good luck and have fun, Mark

Default Fred Meyers or Carrs

Find a Fred Meyers or Carrs, much better food selection at either one. And there located all over town shouldn't be a problem finding one.
    Dave

If someone in your group has a Costco membership, that's your best option on good prices on quantities of grub.

Thanks guys. Followed through with the last recommendation and booked our advance guy into the Sockey Inn. Was following up with them yesterday and they also recommended Carr's Safeway.

Our first stop out of Anchorage will be Hope Alaska.

Marko, not sure if your a member yet, but here is a link to our trip as well as a lot of local information.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...d.php?t=292792

Slimm, it's gone up 29.95 a day, fifty cents or so a mile for a 17 footer. Even with all out travels, I estimate it will cost about 900 dollars for 12 days. Will be pretty fancy though, we'll have a big tarp strung off the back of it.................hillbillies with flyrods.