Thread: Is Upper Kenai a good first run?

Default Is Upper Kenai a good first run?

Hey everyone. I still have yet to get on some moving water with my 9' Sportsmans pontoon. I've been on lakes with it several times but would like to do the upper kenai with it. I have seen alot of pontoons that are even quite a bit smaller than mine running it the last couple time Ive been out there.

Is this a mild enough run to do as a beginner? Ive heard a few say that this was their first run. Just wanted to get a couple opinions before I go out there and drown.

I would either be doing Kenai Lake to sportsmans or sportsmans to jims. Probably the latter.

Default Was Mine

That trip was my first run, first trip was learn to paddle and how easy she moved in the current, avoided large water, 2nd run down the center of as big of water I could find + teach wife to row. Trips got easier then! 3 was Canyon run yahoo !
    Do it your have fun, but do it safely so you can do it again!

I've used Wildman's shuttle service twice over the last week. It's $41 from Cooper landing to Jim's and $25 for Sportsman's to Jim's for those that are interested. Although not cheap, it's tough to justify bringing a second car and the hassles involved in running your own shuttle. Nice to pull out and see the truck parked and waiting for ya.

I hitched it from Jim's to Cooper last weekend. First car to drive past stopped. Too easy.

I always try to stop for boaters.

The first wave train below Kenai Lake is probably the biggest, though they are easy to avoid. In a raft with kids, I aim for it!

There are few pourovers along the Upper Kenai I would avoid, but they are fairly easy to spot, and sweeper/strainers along the sides.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    I've used Wildman's shuttle service twice over the last week. It's $41 from Cooper landing to Jim's and $25 for Sportsman's to Jim's for those that are interested. Although not cheap, it's tough to justify bringing a second car and the hassles involved in running your own shuttle. Nice to pull out and see the truck parked and waiting for ya.
    So how does that work? Do you leave the boat at the launch then park your truck at take out and they shuttle you back to your boat . I'm assuming you would have to leave the boat unattended at the launch. Anyone ever had any problems with that?

Emailed Wildman myself yesterday. They prefer to drive your car from your launch point down to the take out for you and have your car waiting on you. They seem flexible though.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Last weekend we dropped a set of keys with Wildman. Drove to the bridge, launched the raft and parked the rig. When we got to Jim's my friend found his truck brought it around and away we went. Slick! If he had been by himself the only time his raft would have been unattended was for a few minutes while he was parking or searching. Not a big deal.