Thread: Cabela's Alaskan Guide Model Tents

Default Cabela's Alaskan Guide Model Tents

I am looking at getting one of these in a six man size. any info from any one who has used one good or bad let me know please also other suggestions or welcomed thank you.

Lots of people have mostly good things to say about them! We are taking one to Kodiak this fall to use as base camp. You can do a search of the forum archived for cabelas guide tents and come up with TONS of info. Select the "search" function from the menu bar at the top of the page, in the drop down menu that opens instead of just inputting the search terms in the field available instead select "advanced" this will open another page with a google powered search engine. It is much more powerful and returns far better results!

or cheat and follow this link <grin> http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/search.php

Or this one with the search already done... http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sea...RID%3A11&hl=en

There now you have been taught to fish for the future .... and given a fish for today...

Default From users' posts...

my take is CGM tent is hardwearing tent as long as you order one in enough time to send it back.

Lujon and others have far more experience, but I researched tents this winter-much on AOD (OSA). A couple of people reported failures that seemed out of character to others' experiences and made me wonder if there was an occasional quality control issue (this thread, I think: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=10742). But there are a lot of CGM tents out there serving many satisfied outdoorsfolk in Alaska.

A contender for me was Cabelas XPG Expedition, about 6 lbs lighter, but a small vestibule. BrwnBr I think suggested it-and he sees some weather on Kodiak.
    Good luck in your search.

ya i have the six man (well two six mans, two four man and one two man) XPG model that i've used on kodiak for several years and its held up in some nasty nasty....
    my dad has the guide model in a four man and i didn't like it as much, to heavy and dark. but if weight dont' matter skip the guide model and go with the outfitter those are great tents as well, i have the 12x12 in the outfitter and love it!!
    they are good tents for the money, the XPG and Outfitter, just cause cabela's uses the word "alaska" on it,don't mean its there best line of gear.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

stimpy

Quote Originally Posted by LBZ42 View Post
    I am looking at getting one of these in a six man size.
    I've got one for sale. It's got the camo fly, aluminum poles, and it's in great shape. I'll let it go for $300.

I have used the six man for over 15 years. Have taken it on horse back as well as fly in and drop off hunt. Rifle and archery hunts. It has take a beating and is still holding strong. I have never torn the floor or had a zipper fail. It is one of the best tents of its kind IMHO. Three cots inside work great...you can put more in, but three works best for my needs as you can set up a small table as well. I have learned, first you set the tent in the spot you want and stake the floor down. Then insert the poles (one person can do it, but is best if at least two set it up). Make sure EVERY strap is attached to the poles in the right spot. At the beginning of each season I will soak my rain fly in Thompson's deck Water seal, then let it air dry. Once the fly is up, IF there is any chance of wind, I stake out every section that has a connector (seems like 10-12 places)...I was weathered in over at Mulchatna for 10 days in terrible rain and wind and I learned that with the tent properly staked I never had any problems....best done before the storm hits. If you have enough room, the front vestibule is very handy. All in all, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, I think this is a great tent.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I was weathered in over at Mulchatna for 10 days in terrible rain and wind and I learned that with the tent properly staked I never had any problems....best done before the storm hits. If you have enough room, the front vestibule is very handy. All in all, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, I think this is a great tent.
    Glad I am not the only one that thought "Oh it looks like good weather tonight" only to wake up in the middle of the night and have to finish the stake out job in the blowing rain in my skivvies.

thanks for all the help i have looked up the past threads and there is alot of good info in there so how about the alaska guide VS the XPG expedition any thought on this thanks

I have one with a large vestibule, have used it every year since fall of 97 and I love it as long as you have a way to pack it, both items together is about 25 lbs or so, as long as you have a boat or meat trailer to transport life is good. If I trashed mine today I would have another by moose camp, get the floor saver as well. Weathers wind and rain well. Joe

Thumbs up

Another thumbs up for the Cabela's tent .
    I have the 4 man model .
    I have had mine to Kodiak on two spring bear hunts and a couple fly in float hunts out of Fairbanks and have had zero problems .
    I would buy another one tomorrow if I need a second one.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default CGM vs XPG

Quote Originally Posted by LBZ42 View Post
    thanks for all the help i have looked up the past threads and there is alot of good info in there so how about the alaska guide VS the XPG expedition any thought on this thanks
    In the 6P version, aluminum poles:

CGM $480 90sqft 75"tall 26#..... plus roomy vestibule
    XPG $400 99sqft 74" tall 20#6oz and small vestibule

XPG is a 4-pole tent. Good luck.

Default CGM 6 man

Still using mine from 2000 and will continue using it for moose (base) camp. Purchase a Eureka K2XT 4 man for my plane tent and a 2 man mountain hardware for fishing or backpacking.

Terry

Smile

I have been using the 6 man with large vestibule since 2000 with a family of 5 and a dog with no issues and love it. Just wish it was a little lighter. I have yet to have it out in high winds but have tested it out in the rain of PWS with no issues and some mild wind in Delta Junction with no issues as long as you use the stakes and strings like everyone else stated previously.

Hi guys,
    I have the 8 man model of the guide tent. I got it in 94' from Cabella's bargin bin in Kearney. I have used it a ton and had to replace the rain fly after living it it while I built my house. I think it is a great tent as I have seen it take 60 mph winds with no problem, Just my take on a tent.

Default XWT over guide model

I have both but strongly recommend the XWT over guide model, way more tent for same money. The weight can be trimmed down with lighter stakes.

Default great tent

I have the newer 6 man model Cabelas Alaskan guide tent its a great tent pricey but price is no option when you have a dry palce to stay. My only Negative opinion on it is im not a fan of the new vestibule i like the older version. Other than that Its 2 thumbs up

I got my 6 man CGM today cant wait to test it out thanks for all the info it is heavy but using bags insted of the stakes will take alot of that away

The guide model changed significantly in 06 or 07. I would strongly recommed upgrading to the alum poles from the standard fiberglass. I saw several fiberglass poles splinter and fail on brand new 4 and 6 mans in 07 and the 3+ year old 4 and 6 mans still standing strong right next to the now completely totaled new one.

I got aluminum poles