Thread: Matanuska river trip from the Palmer bridge to the Flatts

Default Matanuska river trip from the Palmer bridge to the Flatts

well im relatively new to the rafting world and i recently got a raft and 2 friends and i decided to go and explore, we had a map, food/drinks, and a gun. (spare clothes and yada yada). We launched at around 9:15 sat. morning from the old glenn bridge in palmer. We made it more than half way in about 2 hours (the water was moving!!) as soon as we got past the butte it started to slow down. which conviently the sun had come out in full effect and we got to float the slow moving windy river, we stopped or lunch on one of the many islands thanks to the changing current which produced a ton of tributaries. We ended up at the bridge by Knik river just as we passed under the train bridge we got lucky to see a train crossing and get some awesome pictures. We pulled the raft out at about 3pm. Awesome day, fun trip, i would suggest this journey for someone out for a mild day trip to get away from civilization for a while

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing. I live just a few mins. from the river and I would love to take my kiddos separately on this. My one girl is 11. Do you think this float could be done in a canoe? If not I have a raft too.

I would say yes to the canoe....we had to get out of the raft once because it got shallow but other than that it was fine it gets shallow in some spots that i think the raft might be "better" but the canoe should be fine. I would also suggest going to sportsmans warehouse and going to the map station and zooming in on the section you are rafting and print it out. (its 10 bucks) we didnt so much use the map for the river but for the landmarks, it gave us kind of a timeline lol... good luck

Super fun trip, I have played around there some in my jet boat. FYI if you are a tech geek with an ipod that is data enabled you can use google maps and track you course using the satellite images and the built in GPS. Kind of neat to know what is on the other side of the island using it! Did you see any bears? We saw a lot of tracks in that area last fall but bruin managed to keep himself off the wall.

Default Nat Geo TOPO Map

Tryed to make a TOPO map and attach, couldn't get it small enough to attach. But REI has one too. Sportsman's moved or removed there's??

umm the waslilla sportsmans has it right across from the knife booth. and we only saw birds while we were out . no moose or anything i was very suprised

Guys,

I have been wanting to drift both these rivers but I've been afraid to, having heard stories of "quick-sand" and people coming within an inch
    of their lives before getting rescued. Is any of it true?

As of late, how shallow (skinny) does the water run, and how deep are the holes? Did ya see any fish; and, if so what kind?

Oh, and is it possible to take a canoe from the Knik boat launch (new Glenn Hwy) to the (Knik) glacier itself? Or would I have better luck via bike/hike from Eklutna lake?

Default kings to kings

I did the kings mountain to kings river run last weekend. Was a great trip. The river is way high and lots of waves and bumps to play in.

Lots of wood floating in the river. This is a very cold and silty river. Kind of like rafting in chocolate milk. You cant see what is causing the waves so you need to be careful. It is also very braided in sections so reading the river and looking ahead is important. some braids are 3-4 feet deep while the others are an inch or less.

with a little planning and some common sence, this is a great run and a lot of fun. Beavers, moose and eagles were seen on our float.

not 100 percent sure about the stories but we had no promblems at all.....the river gets shallow but you just need to be vigilant and stay on the deeper sections, there were parts that we couldnt touch with the oars as well. and unless you have a motor aka super stamina i dont think you would be able to make it to the glacier from the boat launch. Its a long way and the current is pretty quick. But we had a great time and only had to get out of the raft once because we had run onto ground. my raft floats in like 5 inches of water so it worked out well

and i totally agree with blue on the fact that there are logs/wood in the river. be very careful about judging the rapids.. they look fun but 9 times out of 10 they are logs that look like spears. and being how the water is cold we avoided them