Thread: Trailer Boat Width Limit?

Default Trailer Boat Width Limit?

I was reading a thread a while back that said they were going to extend the allowable width of a boat that is being trailered, before having to get a permit? There seemed to be a difference of opinion regarding the limit?

Was it extended beyond 10'? To what? Is a 10'3" width boat legal? Thanks.

The proposed width was 10'6". I believe that is allowable now.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Spoiled One, I'm pretty sure you meant this: 8'6" or less does not require a permit. Greater than 8'6" up to 10'6" requires a permit but no pilot car. Greater than 10'6'' up to 12' requires 1 pilot car. Over 12' requires 2 pilot cars.

Homertime is right. I just spoke with Elena at the state permit office. The change is that a pilot vehicle was formerly required for widths in excess of 10 feet. That has changed to 10'6". Everything between 8'6" and 10'6" still requires an oversized permit, just not a pilot car.

Yep, they are correct, but I am not sure how well the troopers and others are informed about this. When I saw this post I contacted the guy I spoke with at DOT and here is his response:

Jim,
    The regulations are in place (April 9, 2009), but not in print. We expect to get the official version sometime in July. You can operate up to 10 6 without a pilot car. Dan

Dan Breeden, Director
    DOT&PF / MSCVE
    907-365-1210

So there may still be a risk that some may be inforcing the 'old' rules, but I no longer need to say by boat is 10' (ok, only at the tunnel).

So this is the next battle, getting them to change the tunnel to 10'6" to match the DOT regulations.

Jim

I don't haul my boat around often, once or twice a season, so I get a one time permit when I do. Do you fellows (Spoiled One, JRogers, and others with bigger boats) haul yours to Whittier every week? Excluding gas, what does that run per trip ballpark? (Tunnel, launch, parking)

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    Spoiled One, I'm pretty sure you meant this: 8'6" or less does not require a permit. Greater than 8'6" up to 10'6" requires a permit but no pilot car. Greater than 10'6'' up to 12' requires 1 pilot car. Over 12' requires 2 pilot cars.

I meant to add the pilot car requirement. Thanks for the correction.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    I don't haul my boat around often, once or twice a season, so I get a one time permit when I do. Do you fellows (Spoiled One, JRogers, and others with bigger boats) haul yours to Whittier every week? Excluding gas, what does that run per trip ballpark? (Tunnel, launch, parking)

I haul mine every weekend that I go (so far). It is nice to have it at the house for cleaning, loading, etc. but it is a bit of a handful to tow. As for the costs, I really don't track this, I just pay as I go so it would be a guess. I have a slip in Seward that I will be going into this week, so I will leave it there for a bit to see how I like that. Whittier is OK to tow to, but I don't think I would want to haul to Seward every weekend with my truck.

I know Spoiled One leaves his in the parking lot in Whittier most of the summer.

Jim
    Last edited by jrogers; 06-29-2009 at 18:02. Reason: clarify