Thread: Curious newbie

Default Curious newbie

I think I want to try fly fishing, I want to get a rod reel combo, or even package,collapsable, for less than 100 bucks to try out. IF anyone can send me some links or have any advice for me please share..Thanks

Default once you flyfish, it's hard to quit

Go to Sportsmans and get a Reddington rod ($60)and Okuma reel ($30). Dependiong on where you want to fish, get a 5wt for trout and grayling or 8wt for salmon. The person working the counter should be able to get you the right flies. Don't forget the flyline and backing. Plan or spending about $150.

Or go really cheap and buy a starter fly fishing kit w/reel and line for about $35 at Walmart, Fred Myers or Sportsman. They all offer a packaged deal that would work for a very basic starter kit.

Good luck!

Scientific anglers used to make a beginners kit for around that, not much of a rod or reel but it would get you started.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I bought an Okuma 8wt combo and it seems pretty good so far. It came spooled with line and backing. I'm just starting off on fly fishing and didn't want to spend a ton of money. I got it for about 100 but the sign said it was 130 I guess I got a decent deal.

Below is my suggestions...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...457&hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

The Cabelas starter package had rod/reel/line/etc... and will get you started for sure. The Lefty Kreh dvd is great. Teaches you how to cast in a very easy to understand way. This is how I learned just a few years ago myself. Great dvd. Flyfishing is awesome. I suspect you will enjoy it greatly. Any specific questions, anything you don't want to ask on the forum, "Stupid questions" if you will, just shoot me a pm. Happy to help if I can. I learned the same way. Magazines, books, and some fellow forum members. Easy as pie man.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I asked the same questions a couple months ago when I was starting out. I know starting off you don't want to sink much money into the whole deal in case you end up not using it, but I might suggest going a little over your $100 budget and getting a decent setup. I might recommend a W.W. Grigg combo from Sportsman's or some place...its a pretty decent quality rod and reel for about $140. Obviously its no Loomis but a good beginner setup and personally I'd rather spend an extra $40-50 on something I'd be satisfied with then buy the cheapest I can find just to turn around and want a better setup in a month or two. Just my two cents... The Lefty Kreh video is definitely a good purchase as well. If you like to fight a fish then I'm pretty sure you'll be addicted to fly-fishing soon enough.

Check in on Sierra Trading post too, they have some pretty awesome deals on good set-ups from time to time. I would try to aim more for the 100-150 mark though, under 100 and the set-ups are pretty "cheap".

In one of the above posts someone mentioned Lefty Kreh. Lefty use to make rods for Sage but after their prices sky rocketed he started up Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO). He wanted to produce a good rod for those of us that can't afford $600 rods. Anyway, TFO made a rod and reel combo a year or two back for around $125-$150. Came with rod, real, and case, maybe line, etc. I know its a little more but I would recommend spending a little extra to get something quality. When I started off I bought something similar to what you are looking for. It was really frustrating to learn on such a crappy rod. The rod makes a world of difference. Once I got a decent rod I really started to enjoy fly fishing since I wasn't struggling with the rod. TFO makes a great rod for the money. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

U know....just look around and find a guy whose got more rods then he has fingers and toes LOL! I know I'm not the only one out there who ends up teaching and loaning gear to everyone in there brother you have to have someone close by!!! It'll give you someone to learn the basics from without having to sink a ton of money into things to see if it's 'For you'.

You might also check craigslist/ebay or any of the other classifieds (including here) from time to time you can find some really sweet rods for right around your price range! However being a newby at this, this is where that mentor comes in....someone to make sure you're getting a good deal on a good rod, new or used!

Wink $99.00 plus $9.95 = $108.95 delivered

Go to ebay and put this number 300325294111 in the search for item and it will bring you to a Redington Crosswater 2 #9082 fly rod and reel outfit. It comes complete with a Rio fly line with backing. This is a 9' 8WT fly rod and the fly reel is made of graphite composite and this guy also sells this same outfit in a 9WT, same price. Hope this may aid in your search. Tight lines.

Check out rods and reels here:
    http://www.albrightflyfish.com/

I've had good luck with my albright stuff so far, and they are very nice and friendly when I've dealt with them.

Default In the spirit of Noobieness

I just picked up a Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) pro series, 9'-8wt, 4 piece, and Okuma slv 89 reel w/ Cortland 333+ fly line & 12lb leader. What do yous guys think? Will this setup work for reds/silvers? I'm just getting started, so I know >0 about fly fishin, can't wait to try it out tommorow.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    I just picked up a Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) pro series, 9'-8wt, 4 piece, and Okuma slv 89 reel w/ Cortland 333+ fly line & 12lb leader. What do yous guys think? Will this setup work for reds/silvers? I'm just getting started, so I know >0 about fly fishin, can't wait to try it out tommorow.
    That set up will work well, but you might also want to pick up some heavier leader to go with it. I have landed russian reds in the clear water with 12# but never in the Kenai. I would pick up some 15-17# and/or some 20# flourocarbon line.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Thanx for the tips Garnede. I fished Jim creek yesterday and hooked into a few non keepers. Going further north today.

Here's a nice pic of a new Albright: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...912#post564912
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery