Thread: Shuyak Island Fishing

Default Shuyak Island Fishing

Hello,

I was out fishing, pulling up 20# after 20# at the Barren Islands a couple weeks ago and was looking over longingly at Shuyak Island, "The promised land??"

If I can get a good weather window I want to run out there from Homer this summer and fish the area for a few days, Looking for "larger" halibut, rockfish, lingcod and salmon.

We will be sleeping aboard the boat.

Has anyone fished this area that would be able to offer up some advice. I'm NOT looking for your exact coordinates but have questions like,

-Preferred Anchorages
    -Are Dungeness Available
    -Fishing better on the West side where all the inlets are at OR
    -East side hiding out behind the Fort Islands for the night
    -Should we bring the tanner crab pots?
    -I know July is early for Silvers in the streams but what about trolling around the island in the salt.
    -Is VHF weather available in the area

We like remote and are very self sufficient, any advice other than "that's too far away" would be appreciated.

Thanks,

was longlineing over there a few years back on the northeast side of the island lots of big fish. Brings some jigs yelloweye and lings are there in good numbers too. Don't no about the crab never tried there.

Well I like hearing that the fish were big. I'll take the lack of further response to let me know that it won't be crowded

Anyone anyone

I wouldn't throw out the Barren's just yet. I've caught lots of big fish way closer to Homer than the barren's.

Big bait. Large herring and octopus. Be patient, if time permits fish before the incoming tide. Patience is key! I've fished the Barren's once, and a guy on our boat caught the 2006 Homer halibut winning fish. Look for the rocky areas...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Been to the Barren's 3 times and caught some really solid fish. 100+ pounders 2 of the 3 trips. Went hunting in Kodiak when I was younger and we took a boat across from homer. Stopped at Shuyak for lunch and I hooked into something huge that spooled a heavy duty salmon rod and snapped the pole, I am guessing it was a halibut.

Just wanted to follow up.

We Went and it was INCREDIBLE!! The halibut were all over 40 lbs. I was chopping their tails off the first day to get them iced down in the 150 qt cooler.

That night the silver fishing at the mouth of a river was so hot we weren't even netting each others fish, because if it got off you would catch another on the next cast. My wife mentioned she had three silvers in three casts of her vibrax at one point.

The next day the Halibut grew. We harpooned the wifes 75 lber on one side of the boat and 15 minutes later I harpooned my 127 lber.

It was a crappy weather day and we weren't planning on returning until the following day but the floor was full of halibut and we didn't have enough room to pack them so we had to return to Homer.

Got to see a small area of 8-10 ft seas in the crossing. This trip isn't for everyone, but holy s*** the fishing was AWESOME!

It was even more fun to have to figure out our own fishing holes and locate our own silver river, glad we didn't get much in the way of responses now.

I'm going to make that trip myself someday. I meant to this year but never had the right crew. Thanks for the thread. Hap
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member