Thread: 35 HP Evinrude help

Default 35 HP Evinrude help

I have a 35 HP Evinrude, I need some help with the year and a maintenance issue. I've done autos and aircraft, but never 2 cycle outboards.

Identification: I think that it is early 1980s there is no outside tag, but a plate on the power head with :135RCCSM, 10002164 Can any of this translate to the year?

Compression is 125 psi on both cylinders, and it starts on first or second pull. The problem is that I put it in a barrel of water and got black oil everwhere. The oil smells like exhaust. I found oil weeping out of a small hole near the foot. Can anyone tell me what is going on? It looks and smeels like gear oil with exhaust. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rifleshooter; 06-28-2009 at 14:26. Reason: sp

The year is 1980. Those have through hub exhaust on the prop. I wouldn't worry about the oil or exhaust smell. The small hole you are referring to is probably a drain hole for the exhaust housing. You should have a drain screw and fill screw on the lower unit. Try changing the lower unit gear lube. If the lube is white and creamy it is a sign of water intrusion. If it's not to bad I would worry about new seals yet, just change the lube. The gas to oil ratio is 50:1. Have fun and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Proud and Free in Delta Junction, Alaska.

having trouble with some of the numbers, but here is what I have.

1 35 RC CS M

1=? 35= HP RC= rope start/commercial/CD ignition CS=1980
    M= Model Run/suffix. It is an odd number, but most of it matches up with current model Identification info. That is all I could find at this time. Hop this helps.

Default 35 HP Evinrude

Thanks shannon and delta.

ShannonAmous: oil is leaking out, it makes a puddle of straight oil on the floor. That isn't normal. And, it made a lot of black oil in the tub of water. I do not think that gear oil should leak from that hole, nor do I think that it should smell like exhaust.

I don't think that is gear oil you are seeing. My guess is it is unburned fuel stripping the carbon out of your exhaust and running out the drain hole. Check your lower unit lube and compare the two. Hopefully they don't look or smell similar. It's not uncommon to get the same discharge coming out from the prop. Good luck.

Default 35 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by Shanonamous View Post
    I don't think that is gear oil you are seeing. My guess is it is unburned fuel stripping the carbon out of your exhaust and running out the drain hole. Check your lower unit lube and compare the two. Hopefully they don't look or smell similar. It's not uncommon to get the same discharge coming out from the prop. Good luck.
    A friend just said the same thing, hopefully a 30 minute in the lake will clean it up. It has not been ran in years.

Exclamation

The number one thing you NEED to do with a new-to-you outboard, especially one that hasn't been run in a few years, is service the water pump. It's cheap in the overall scheme of things and can save your motor from a preventable meltdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!