Thread: Power recomendations

Default Power recomendations

Ok so my father-in-law gave me this older aluminum boat hull. It is 20 feet long, about 7 feet wide at the widest and the sides are 30" tall. He says it is 1/8 sides and 5/16 or 1/4 flat bottom. It originally had a 1978 Merc 150 in it, it would get to about 53 mph and start chine walking, the motor wasn't wound out yet. I don't need a 50MPH boat, just something more reasonable. What power would you guys put on it?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Power sounds good.

Im not sure if it was using a prop or jet. If this was with a jet than 115 should be fine. I have simular demensions and same size motor but only see close to 40mph with a jet. If your wanting to go from prop to jet than I recommend same sized motor. Hope this helps you.

It was a prop.

Thanks
    “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Greg,

Nice to see you back!

I wouldnt put anything less than 115hp on that tug.

Hi Keith, nice to be back...but I still can't do anything, can't lift over 10 pounds and they don't even want me driving yet...but the surgery seems to be working.

The 135 hp Merc Verado looks like a nice unit. Well I got awhile to decide on what to power it with, I'm sure I'll change my mind a dozen times before I actually buy something. heh
    “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” attributed to Thomas Jefferson