Thread: yamaha high thrust vs. Midrange 50hp

Default yamaha high thrust vs. Midrange 50hp

Good day,
    I need help deciding which engine would be best for a 21' open predator center console. Going with Yamaha just need to know which one a high thrust or midrange. Lots of backtrolling to be done. If you have one let me know your experience with it thanks in advance.

I have a friend that is running a similar sized fishrite with the T50 (high thrust). He would not do it any other way. I have heard that guys fishing the very low end of the Kenai having issues with back trolling, but my friend has not experienced this. Sounds like a sweet setup.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Another vote for the high thrust on that big and heavy of a boat. You may have to "bucket troll" from time to time is the current is weak, but I think you would be happier. By "bucket trolling" that means that what guys will do if at a dead idle you are still going upstream, they will tie a 5 gal bucket to a rope and and toss it out the back of the boat and drag it like a sea anchor. That will slow you down. I would rather do this on occasion than lake the power when I really need or want it.

High thrust is two opinions any one else got anything?

Default Yamaha

It appears 99% of the guides use the standard 50 HP. I have a Predator with the standard and like it.

Default high thrust

the yamaha high thrust uses a 2.33 gear ratio as opposed to the standard un it which I think is a 1. 88 or 1.83 they do this to push large heavy boats that have cavatation problems due to poor water flow the high thrust motor don't have as many options for prop sizing and don't usally work as well on higher speed boats. the preditor works well with ether motor but you have more options and will burn less gas with the standard unit...

go with the standard, the T50 will get you up faster but you will be slower on the top end. if you were going with a kicker go with a high thrust, I had the same question and talked to a lot of guides they all said the standard was the best.

Straight F50 on a Predator here. I haven't been around the T50 much, but have heard how its sometimes tough to back troll with one. Depending on how you like to fish, back troll, drag or bounce?

Default Thanks...

Those are the types of answers I was looking for thanks... It sounds like the F50 or standard is the way to go. I'll mostly be backtrolling for Kings and getting to where I need to go for Silvers and anchoring. Thanks for the replies.