Thread: Crowds on the Russian During the weekday

Default Crowds on the Russian During the weekday

Are the crowds on the Russian any smaller on the weekday compared to the weekends?

The unique thing..is at one time you could bolt to the russian and not have a crowd at 4:00 in the morning ,but the Grayling packs at 4:30--funny!

Folkssee the recent runs in the paper of the "after math" and get excited!

Quote Originally Posted by akfly View Post
    Are the crowds on the Russian any smaller on the weekday compared to the weekends?
    I havent been there on the weekend yet, but the 3 times Ive been during the week have been packed. The ferry parking is typically full with a line of at least 5 or 6 vehicles waiting, and you have to walk down the kenai a good half mile to get any room to fish.

I fished it last Wed night and again on Sat night, it was about the same.

Weekdays in October & November are quite nice.

Speaking of crowds at the Russian last Sunday I waited about 40 minutes to make my way to the front of the line to get in, and the line had grown 3 times the length while I waited. Anyhow when I get up to the check in shack they ask if I want Greyling or Pink Salmon, as I would have to wait for Greyling. I tell them Pink Salmon parking was fine, then when I get there is was less than 1/2 full. Are they this bad at keeping track of the spaces in the parking lot, or was the line just long because there were folks waiting to park in Greyling for a shorter walk to the mouth? Who knows but it is clear if they are not asking folks if they want to park in Pink Salmon as they wait in line they have no incentive to fill the lots. If they are looking to fill the lots and make money they are going about it wrong IMHO.

Wink

As the campground developed, it was exactly that a campground. Then the Parking lots were added. Obvious that the lots need to be expanded as they originally were when the bulldozers cleared the area. Now the State Parkies have allowed, by design, the area to grow back up and the willow and alders take over. People need to demand that the area be stripped once again and space made available. The road back to the lake needs to be dozed again as well. Or.....wait in line.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Speaking of crowds at the Russian last Sunday I waited about 40 minutes to make my way to the front of the line to get in, and the line had grown 3 times the length while I waited. Anyhow when I get up to the check in shack they ask if I want Greyling or Pink Salmon, as I would have to wait for Greyling. I tell them Pink Salmon parking was fine, then when I get there is was less than 1/2 full. Are they this bad at keeping track of the spaces in the parking lot, or was the line just long because there were folks waiting to park in Greyling for a shorter walk to the mouth? Who knows but it is clear if they are not asking folks if they want to park in Pink Salmon as they wait in line they have no incentive to fill the lots. If they are looking to fill the lots and make money they are going about it wrong IMHO.
    They shouldn't be asking you where you want to park they should be telling you. There should be attendants in each parking lot with walkies telling the gate house what is available and then having the traffic directed accordingly.
    If it was done properly they would make a lot more money, the lines would be shorter and people would be happier.
    As a manager myself I find it unbelievable how many incompetant managers there are in this world.

Rant Over.....we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Went Sunday evening on 6/28 and Monday morning on 6/29. Got there at about 4-5pm on Sunday, there was a line of about 6 cars to get in, and the only spot was in Pink Salmon. Got there at about 10am Monday and there was no line plus I got a spot in Grayling.

Monday had a good vibe, but I might have liked it better because I caught more fish.