Thread: Alaska Canoe Tours

Default Alaska Canoe Tours

Hi, (First post)

A friend and I are hoping to undertake a canoe tour in Alaska and would like advice on companies to use and areas to visit.

Can anyone suggest any companies/websites that offer guided multiday canoe tours in Alaska.

Main requirements:
    5-7 day tours
    wild Camping
    Wilderness area (The majority of our paddling has been undertaken in Canada (British Columbia and Ontario) and Swedish Lapland). We want to experience the Alaskan wilderness
    Small groups

All advice is appreciated
    Cheers

Welcome!

What type of water are you interested in? Lakes, rivers, movingwater, whitewater?

Hi, thanks for taking the time to try and help, very much appreciated.

Water type would be: Lake or River, if Moving water (no more than about grade 1/2)

We only have about 5-7 days max to fit in a paddling trip so to maximise our time we are looking for a commercial trip and aim more to explore, look around, view the wildlife and admire the Alaskan wilderness than full on testing of the canoe skills.

To try and give a taste of the type of canoe trip we like;
    Bowron Lakes (British Columbia)
    Petawawa River (Algonquin, Ontario),

cheers

I've paddled the Petawawa!

I am not going to be much help to you for planning your trip. We are relatively new here in AK and the only multiday trips we have done have involved whitewater.

We have rented canoes from these folks in Whitehorse in the past. This could be an option if you want to paddle the yukon river from Whitehorse to Dawson or Eagle. http://www.kanoepeople.com/

I have heard good things about these folks, though I personally have no experiences with them: http://www.canoealaska.net/home.html

You could do a trip yourselves on the Kenai Canoe trails by renting from these folks: http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/

and, what is it like paddling in the Swedish Lapland?

Default Canoeing

Hi its my first post also, I am looking at floating the yukon also any info would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Bamaman!
    I have done the Yukon from Lake Bennet to Dawson and in just a few weeks I will be going from Whitehorse to the Dalton Hwy bridge.
    What section are you planning on and/or how long a trip?

Thumbs up Yes - I can lend a hand!

5-7 days canoe trip

A true Alaska wilderness Float trip

Scenic tour, no mixed big groups, no crowds, solitude, wildlife viewing

Class I & II waters

PM on here for more details or please visit website for info, email contact, and phone number contact... I can provide everything with all details you'll need for the trip in addition to several superb options available.

Default Alaska Rivers

Alaska has such great rivers for extended canoe trips.
    the majority are easy floats with little fast water, or short sections of faster water. or Hazzards.
    Hundreds of options, from road system put in take outs, to the remote fly in drop off pickup, or paddle out to village and then home via commercial wheel plane.
    I enjoy the planning for such adventures, and often make my decisions based on several factors, such as " glacial fed or clear water", Wildlife I may encounter along the way, and of course the scenery, and typical weather etc.
    So just asking,, What would you like to experience on your canoe trip?
    Do you want a very remote trip, with few or no other travelers in the area?
    Size of water? the Yukon, or a small river? do you want a flat water experience or something with some faster sections?
    give us a little more information and many here can help with what we know.
    thanks
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com