Thread: Any advice for a newbie to Homer boating?

Default Any advice for a newbie to Homer boating?

No, I'm not looking for any fishing spots...this time. The wife and I are going down to stay with a friend in Homer over the 4th and I've never put my boat in the water there nor have I even been on the water there. I have been to Seward and Whittier many times so I'm not a rookie when it comes to salt water. I have an 18' Harbercraft, canvas top with a 50 hp Honda prop and 5 hp kicker so I won't be straying too far away but I would like to spend several hours on the water while showing them the sights.

My passengers will be two non fishermen, (err, women) and we're just looking at having a nice day on the water, weather permitting of course. I've given some thought of going over to Seldovia. Is there a place to go have lunch over there?

I don't have the charts for that area yet but will get that done Monday or Tuesday so I can study up on the place. I did find an older thread here that gave me the link to the Coast Pilot 9 booklet and I'm printing a lot of that out to read also. That booklet has a TON of good info in it!

Oh yeah, where are the launches in Homer? Are they only in the small boat harbor or are they scattered around the spit? Any idea of launch fees, parking area and fees?

In other words, I don't have a clue about Homer and I'm in need of someone to electronically grab me by the earlobe and lead me around in advance so I don't feel like a total dweeb when I get there. Thanks guys.

Boat Launch is on your left as you drive on the spit. Just past the lagoon you will see a sign says boat launch. $12 to launch and park your truck.

Where to go??? The bluffs would be a good place to start...

Homer to me has the best harbor. It's big and very easy to move around in.

Give me a shout out. I will be there 3-8. Triple Threat.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

We'll be down on the 4th also (General Lee).
    One thing to keep in mind is the weather tends to pick up a bit in the afternoon. When you start seeing white caps head for the dock. Right off of lands end it really gets churned up.
    Couple of nice restaurants in Seldovia, I keep a menu for them in my glove box. Call them with a to go order when leaving lands end and it's ready for pick up by the time we get there. Quick pit stop and your on the way again. High tide on the 4th is 2pm plenty of time to stop for lunch and still make it to a good hole before slack tide.
    Speaking of holes straight out from Seldovia about 2 miles there is a ridge line that has worked for us in the past. Yesterday we went out To our far hole limited under an hour with an 80 and a 100 pounder to round out the day.
    On the way in do a lap around Gull island (shallow rocks don't get to close) non fishing folks always get a kick out of it.

Like was already said, start your day early. On a bright clear sunny day you can bet that by noonish, the sea breezes will pick up to the point that you will not want to be out there. The area back up in behind Yukon island is very pretty and makes a good sight seeing trip. It is also a good place to wait out the weather if it gets rough out in the bay. You have tuka bay, saidie cove and Jackaloff bay to explore back and have hiking trails to explore as well. Pretty area and will never get too rough to be safe back there. You may have to wait til late evening for the bay to lay back down to get across. Also it was mentioned already that the water can and does get very snotty at the end of the spit as the tide rips past it. Don't cut close to the spit. Stay way away from the end if it is bumpy coming back in. Stay way right, go past the spit, and then circle back into the boat harbor to aviod the worst of the rip. Seldovia is a fun trip as well and has full restaurants, stores ect...

Default Homer

Your boat should do fine. Do mind the afternoon winds, it tends to be pretty choppy on the way back in. I would suggest cruising the north side (bluff) of Katchmak in the AM and then ducking down by Seldovia / Sadie Cove / Jakalof Bay / Yukon Island and Halibut Cove in the afternoon, it is a bit more protected if the wind is coming from the south. We also love to go out at night, if you get one of those amazing nights, think about heading out around 9 or 10. Sometimes it is nice and glassy and quiet at night, you can't beat the sun hanging on the horizion all night.

Thanks guys.

Excellent info and since everyone is basically saying the same thing, I'll govern my stay on the water accordingly.

Now if I can just get these lazy women to head out early in the morning.

Default Coast Pilot 9 booklet

Quote Originally Posted by Bookseller View Post
    I did find an older thread here that gave me the link to the Coast Pilot 9 booklet and I'm printing a lot of that out to read also. That booklet has a TON of good info in it!

I'd like to read that - can you send me the link please?

Bump - I'd really like to educate myself. Anyone know where I can find this link?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Oops, sorry. I would have sent it myself but I haven't visited this thread in a few days.