Thread: 1st fish ever on a flyrod!!!

Default 1st fish ever on a flyrod!!!

Took my son (7) to Clunie this afternoon since he wanted to practice on a flyrod.
    Got set-up and showed him the basics, (at least as much as I know since I'm a noob too) and let him go at it.
    He had more than a few tangled ends but worked it out himself.
    Then I heard him "Dad I got a fish!" Big smiles and "Can we keep him?"
    We both had a real nice afternoon chasing little rainbows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June 2009 Alaska 070.jpg  

Default great job

Congrats to you and your boy Chuck. And good on you for getting another young person into this great sport. Nothing beats watching kids catching fish.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Default The Best

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
    Took my son (7) to Clunie this afternoon...Then I heard him "Dad I got a fish!" Big smiles and "Can we keep him?"
    We both had a real nice afternoon chasing little rainbows.
    Sounds like they were BOTH hooked - And good on you, Dad!
    Great moment and thanks for sharing!

And it begins... My son first started out with a fly rod at 5 or 6 and now at 28 he is a master fly caster. When he was younger and most of the neighbors were out looking for thier kids at night, I always knew where I could find mine... at the lake with a fly rod in his hands catching and releasing trout, showing off to his friends.

Cool Its on!!

You guys are both hooked for good!! Welcome to world of flyfishin!! Its great to see new poeple pickin up flyrods and having fun. Next thing you know you will be tying flies and building rods Let the good times roll!!!

Trout-

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default Fish On!

Yes we are both hooked like a fish, legal of course, and glad we are. It sure beats sitting at home in front of the boobtube.
    He said he wants to go see some other flies and what they look like. Maybe catch some more fish.
    Who am I to say no

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
    Yes we are both hooked like a fish, legal of course, and glad we are. It sure beats sitting at home in front of the boobtube.
    He said he wants to go see some other flies and what they look like. Maybe catch some more fish.
    Who am I to say no

Feed the "hunger" Dad as it will pay major dividends in the years to come. Teach the kids no only how to fish, but how to be safe with their suroundings while they fish. It's truly amazing to watch them experience things for the first time! My grandkids are 3 and 5 and are just starting to get into the outdoors "thing". I really have to watch myself to not "get in the way" and let their father (my son) show them and get the gratification I did showing him so may years ago. This stuff is sooooo cool!