Thread: Evil Black Rifle

Default Evil Black Rifle

I took my AR15 type weapon to the rifle range yesterday . I wanted to sight it in. I bought it new in November of last year. (Why would I do that?) Not very useful if not sighted in.

I don’t have any experience with the AR 15 type rifle. (last service rifle I shot was a M1 Garand in basic training 1961). Kinda sets the picture doesn’t it)?

I approached a young fellow on the firing line. He was shooting an AR Type rifle. I asked him to explain how to adjust the sights and he did a fine job. He was in the military and unfortunately I did not get his name.

I went back to my bench, set up, and fired the first shot. I was on the paper, pretty much centered but low. I also had a jam with my weapon. Failure to eject. I fussed around with the rifle for awhile.

A shooter, another young fellow ,approached me and wanted to know if I needed some oil. He indicated he was an Armor in the army. I needed something, so I handed the rifle over to “Nick”

He took off the upper, got the stuck case out (used cleaning rod), field stripped my bolt assembly, put oil in all the right places, assembled the upper, attached the lower and gave me the rifle back. In about 3 minutes no less.

I proceeded to finish my shooting and Nick came over and showed me his AR 15. DPMS with all the bells and whistles !The sighting equipment on his rifle cost more than my rifle.

The dumbkoff(the one with the bone dry AR15) ol timer with the beard and overhauls wants to thank all my military neighbors for all their help and especially for their service. I had a great afternoon.

Sounds like you had a great experience! I am in the early stages of building a couple ARs and I am afraid that they could be addicting. It is great to hear that the popularity of them is growing with all of the new military users! One interesting thing about the military in deployed locations, there is no where else I know of that you can walk through a hospital and find med techs field stripping their rifle between patients.

patient: "yes I am here for a chest x-ray"
    Rad Tech: "yes sir, I will be with you in just a minute, I just need to reinstall my buffer spring assembly and I will take you right back."

LOL. Sounds great to me. My BPED is 3 Nov 63. Mine was an M14. Enjoy. J.

I had a range coach who's favorite saying was "Luuuuuuuubrication! Your weapon is like Susie ****** ****** back home. When you take her out for some fun she needs to be properly lubricated"
    not sure if I can put that on here!
    USMC 93-97
    Last edited by LuJon; 06-28-2009 at 12:18. Reason: We will clean it up a bit for the kids, the expression is common enough for at least the military folks to fill in the blanks

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountry View Post
    I took my AR15 type weapon to the rifle range yesterday . I wanted to sight it in. I bought it new in November of last year. (Why would I do that?) Not very useful if not sighted in.

I don’t have any experience with the AR 15 type rifle. (last service rifle I shot was a M1 Garand in basic training 1961). Kinda sets the picture doesn’t it)?

I approached a young fellow on the firing line. He was shooting an AR Type rifle. I asked him to explain how to adjust the sights and he did a fine job. He was in the military and unfortunately I did not get his name.

I went back to my bench, set up, and fired the first shot. I was on the paper, pretty much centered but low. I also had a jam with my weapon. Failure to eject. I fussed around with the rifle for awhile.

A shooter, another young fellow ,approached me and wanted to know if I needed some oil. He indicated he was an Armor in the army. I needed something, so I handed the rifle over to “Nick”

He took off the upper, got the stuck case out (used cleaning rod), field stripped my bolt assembly, put oil in all the right places, assembled the upper, attached the lower and gave me the rifle back. In about 3 minutes no less.

I proceeded to finish my shooting and Nick came over and showed me his AR 15. DPMS with all the bells and whistles !The sighting equipment on his rifle cost more than my rifle.

The dumbkoff(the one with the bone dry AR15) ol timer with the beard and overhauls wants to thank all my military neighbors for all their help and especially for their service. I had a great afternoon.
    Thanks to all those who serve this country.

Ain't that just great. Young folks with the military experience of today who can shoot, clean and repair their guns in 3 minutes...... after dark. It is always good to see that ability and willingness to help. I am trying to teach my grand kids to shoot, strip, clean and adjust the AR style rifle, my 11 year old grandson has taken to the task, he has his own Armalite A-4 style flat top folder and just loves it.

One of those little front sight adjusting tools work wonders on that sight adjustment. Remember it goes up to lower the group.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Awesome story... warms the heart. And great to hear of another person adding an AR to their collection. Unlike any other rifle, they appeal to the shooter, the artist and the mechanic. So many fun attachments!

Default You know.....

I'm glad you got some help with your AR. When I go to the range I pull out my NHM-91 (Chinese RPK). I get the looks from the AR folks to......No oil, not cleaned, almost out of the mud and shoots my 2" groups at 100.

Ron

Lots of fun rifles to shoot out there, but the AR is by far the sexyist . Wanna have some fun (goofy looks and comments) go to a skeet/ clay range with a Russian Siaga 12g and 10 rnd box mag.

I have also had help from former and current military men and women at the range, diagnosing and in many cases fixing probs with various civilian semi autos. Even got some long range setup tips from an LE guy. Thanx to you all, again.

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf

Check out this write up by Pat Rogers... this will help you immensly!

- Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)=°°=)_)