Thread: 50 Alaskan from a short barrel

Default 50 Alaskan from a short barrel

Anyone have experience shooting this round from a 16 1/2 or 18 inch bbl lever gun? Considering pulling the trigger on a Co-Pilot and weighing the differences between the 457 mag and the 50 Alaskan calipers.

What velocities can be expected from the 50 Alaskan shot through a short tube?

Is recoil managable without the porting?

I do my own reloads so that's not an issue.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

THBOMR while at home with a 450 grainer you shopuld get 1800? I wont shoot one without porting due to muzzle jump

Default don't know but ...

I don't have any experience with the 50AK in a short barrel.

In a 24" barrel my loads chronograph at 1950 FPS with a 450 gr Kodiak. Thats with Benchmark in a Starline case. Buffalo Bore claims 2100 with their factory 450 grain Kodiaks. I have a hard time believing that but I have never run them over a chrony.

Porting is subjective. I won't go anywhere near it but lots of people swear by it.

I really dont think that it matters with the 50AK whether that 450gr slug is going 1850, 1950, or 2100, at the distances that caliber has the trajectory for that bullet is gonna do alot of plowing before it stops, bones be ****ed. As far as the porting on a short bbl I can tell a definate difference between ported and non ported as pertaining to muzzle rise. I have shot Marlins in this caliber with bbls ranging from 16.5 out to 22 inches and the ports do help.

P.S. I'm the poor soul who gets to test fire a great many of them beastly big bore leverguns put out by WWG.

Expect to loose 30 fps/inch, and that will get you in the ballpark of what it'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    P.S. I'm the poor soul who gets to test fire a great many of them beastly big bore leverguns put out by WWG.
    thats 'cuz scrawny guys like you just bend like a tree with the recoil