Thread: 450 Marlin

Default 450 Marlin

Well off to the Range I went. Lessons learned on the 1895M are as follows. Trigger Job is a must. Hot loads are a waste of time as the dang thing kicks like a mule. I am sticking with 54 gr. or 3031 CCI 200 and that seemed to be plenty of punch. Will Chrony and report later. Not going to get stuck on speed as large frontal and moderate velocity seems to kill what I shoot. 350gr. Hornaday Interlock was the bullet. Oh and Andy Hawk did a great job making that rifle action smooth. What a fun day at Birchwood.

Love my 1895M!
    I put a DRC Large Loop on it, & a DRC one piece trigger. The loop made a huge difference in comfort, & the trigger made it a lot easier to shoot well. DRC has a package deal for large loop, trigger, & stainless magazine follower for about $190 delivered. I will say it took 6 weeks to get it, but worth the wait. I like his loop size a little better than WW Guns loops (DRC are a little smaller), but that's personal preference.
    I also stuck a Simms Limbsaver pad on mine. I've noticed that the factory pad on some of the Marlins can be very stiff while others are softer. Mine was rock hard...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I'm with Vance. I DRC'd my guns up with the lever and trigger. I like daves lever better also. I did put in a WWG ejector, they work better and stronger than the original and a mainspring and lever latch spring from Wolfe. The trigger and mainspring make a perfect 2.5# trigger. My 45-70 has no recoil pad at all, an older 22" version and 400 grains at 1800 to 1850 is about all the gun or I want. I like the 350 Hornady bullets and at about 1850 fps they make a great load. What do you have for sights? Ever try the XS Ghost rings?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy, I also have the WW ejector installed. Well built unit.
    I have the XS ghost ring with the guard wings installed & really like it. Great sight picture & it seems near bulletproof. I hae the smaller of te two aparatures that come with it installed & it seems a good compromise between accuracy & quick target aqusition in the thick stuff.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I had a Williams Peep on mine and pulled the frontsight shroud. Think I might put on a diff. front. Not sure what kind though. thanks for the input on rear Pad. Thinking mine is way to stiff as you put it. Have not made up my mind on the large lever but seems like a solid idea.

I also put a Williams peep sight on my 1895. I just unscrew the sight ring whenever I want a "ghost" sight. And ditto about pulling the front-sight shroud. The statements about the 450 equally apply to the handloaded 45/70. Both my 45/70 (with handloads) and the 450 will just about knock your false teeth right out on the ground...recoil is right on up there. I (once) tried 56grs of H335, and a Barnes 400gr....GOOD GRIEF! Warning: shoulder dislocating type recoil! (kills on both ends!) (Don't know what the velocity was, but it doesn't matter 'cuz I'm not going back to it)
    I've kind of settled on a "compromise charge" of 41grs of IMR4198, yielding about 1740 fps with a gas-checked 420gr RCBS bullet. It's at least somewhat manageable, and no significant leading with W-W lead. Also put on one of those slip-on recoil pads. Dropping on down to a lighter bullet (like the Hornady 350) would also help.

Marshall/Ak

I took the advice of a friend who has been handloading for the 45-70 for many years. He told me a good rule of thumb using reloader 17 is to measure the volume of the case that will be occupied by whichever cast bullet you are using when seated to max OAL and then fill the case with reloader 17 right to the base of the bullet. I don't have my data here, but it worked very well on my 450. I loaded 405, 420 and 500 gr. hardcasts this way and I wound up with around 1950 FPS with the 405, 1900 with the 420 and about 1750-1800 with the 500's. There were no signs of excessive pressure, and surprisingly the recoil seemed only slightly heavier than with Hornady's factory ammo.

Now I can't wait to get home and pick up the 1895 from the shop. It's getting the DRC lever, action tune, WW trigger kit, bear proof ejector, muzzle brake and a limb saver pad at Arctic Custom guns. This is the first gun I've ever had any custom work done on, but I fell in love with it and decided to go all-out.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I can't wait to get home and pick up the 1895 from the shop. It's getting the DRC lever, action tune, WW trigger kit, bear proof ejector, muzzle brake and a limb saver pad at Arctic Custom guns. This is the first gun I've ever had any custom work done on, but I fell in love with it and decided to go all-out.
    They kinda have that effect on a guy!!!
    I just stuck the XS Scout Mount on mine last night & put the 30mm Ultradot 4 off my old mod 29 that I use for handgun hunting on. Way cool.

Keep your head down friend!
    Vance in AK.

Thanks brother, I will. I think the next project on the Marlin will be to research all the aftermarket sights available and decide which to use. For now the factory sights work fine. I'll probably never put any kind of optic on it though. For a gun that's only good out to 150 yards or so I prefer to stick with iron sights.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.