Thread: Where to find unit boundary descriptions...

Default Where to find unit boundary descriptions...

I have scoured the ADFG website for a detailed description of unit boundaries. I want them so I can draw them onto my maps so I know what units I'm looking at. All I can find is vague descriptions, for example, unit 12...

Tanana river drainage upstream from the Robertson River, including all drainages ino the east bank of the Robertson River, and the White River drainage...

I can figure out the drainages ok until I get into the really nasty terrain where the ridges are impossible to follow.

I feel your pain. I guess draw it in as best you can with a good topo map. Then when you are on the mountain just take a leak, if it "drains" toward the tanana or the east bank of the robertson or white then you are in good shap. If it flows away then you need to hunt elswhere. This beats the which way the ram falls technique used by some...
    I find it easiest to double check the regs and make a list of species that I can hunt the same on either side of the boundaries. Then when I am close to the border I will only take them. It sucks to pass on an animal but it is better than losing your meat, tag, and rifle!

Which way the water drains is the same method I utilize. I have never encountered a better way to determine a boundary based on description and I have never seen a map with each boundary clearly illustrated on a map.

Terrain changes over time by forces of nature but water generally takes the same course making it reliable enough.Careful study of terrain on your topo maps should reveal the boundry as each watershed is followed from the ridge tops to the valley floor. Tedious but informative.

Ok, thank you, that's what I was doing until I reached an area that the map just was too messy. Right now all I have is the Delorme Atlas and will get better maps later but want to get a good over all idea of learning the hunt areas.

Thank you

Here is a link to the GMU boundaries.

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/cgi-bin.../%7B@26411%7D?

These are the legal descriptions.
    Doug
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Default Sportsman's Warehouse

I used the map kiosk there and selected the option to have the GMU bounderies printed on the map. Works like a charm and is very easy to read.
    The descriptions were confusing, this makes it very clear.

If you want the GMU's on your GPS, check out this thread.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=29070
    "The older I get, the better I was."