Thread: Fall Denali Highway Grizzly

Default Fall Denali Highway Grizzly

I want to try to do a grizzly hunt in late october or early november on the Denali Highway. Just wondering, can I expect to see bears this late in the year, or are most of them dennned up by this time? I will have snow machines, and would like to make it about a 4 day hunt.

I did use the search function and found tons of info, just nothing on hunting this late in the year.

Thanks for any information!

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by andrewstigen View Post
    I want to try to do a grizzly hunt in late october or early november on the Denali Highway. Just wondering, can I expect to see bears this late in the year, or are most of them dennned up by this time? I will have snow machines, and would like to make it about a 4 day hunt.

I did use the search function and found tons of info, just nothing on hunting this late in the year.

Thanks for any information!

Andrew
    It or miss on both accounts.

In my experience up there late october and early november you are very likely not going to have enough snow to really ride snowmachines. Also a good chance some of the bears will be denning up or already done so. Days are getting pretty short then as well so not a whole lot of daylight to hunt with. But anything is possible and its a nice area to explore. Plan on making it a camping trip and bring a gun and binocs along and you won't be let down if you don't even see a bear.

Default Fall Grizzly hunting - Denali Highway

Andrew,
    First, thanks for thinking of coming up to thin out these critters in the area! As far as your timing, November is probably too late to have a ton of success, but that depends on how the fall goes, and if it stays relatively warm in the fall. The earliest I've seen enough snow to ride decent is mid-November, but once again, depends on the weather. When your time gets close, check with Maclaren River Lodge, or us at Alpine Creek and we can provide you first hand info. The bear hunting is usually very good just after moose hunting ends on the 20th. They are on the gut piles fairly quickly, especially after the hunters leave on the 20th, up to mid-October. I know that I'll be after them if I haven't filled my quota for the year yet.

Good Luck!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Bring a 4 wheeler.
    I have seen fresh griz tracks into Novemeber just about every year down there

What drives bears into dens is lack of food. If you can find an area with easy food in Oct. there may be bears there.
    I'm not familiar with that area, but I'm guessing there may be a few salmon streams. Talk to fish bio's and see if they know of any late fall places to find bears looking for fish.
    Like the others said, that's pretty early for snogos and even if you get the snow, the lakes and waterways will still be unfrozen. If there is snow cover, glassing for tracks on sunny days may be productive.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default location

Denali Highway, like denali hunter mentioned, has moose and caribou. You won't be finding salmon streams anywhere along the road, that I can think of. So, food sources are mainly caribou or moose carcasses left over from hunting, and berries. Find big patches on mountainsides that you can glass, even if snow has fallen, there may be some bear rooting around for the last dregs. One MAJOR caution: weather will be very unpredictable, and can be very unforgiving... sic two elderly Anchorage residents and their grandson getting stuck in a snowdrift and dying of exposure several years ago.

Thanks for the information everybody. I'm in Afghanistan now so no chance of hunting until late october. It sounds like my best bet is to wait for spring or consider a fall hunt next year. I will contact Denali Hunter when it's closer for current conditions.

Once again thanks for the information.