Thread: Kasilof report (plus a bonus limmerick!)

Default Kasilof report (plus a bonus limmerick!)

Seventeen sockeye swam into my net,
    Seventeen sockeye as big as they get.
    They escaped the com boats,
    But I cut their little throats.
    Seventeen sockeye their maker have met.

Ok, so I didn't really get 17 and the commercial boats weren't even out, and the one (yeah, that's right, what about it?) I did get wasn't all that big.

However, I do now realize the need to buy a real dipnet, not my homemade hand-me-down that came with the house we bought, and now I know that those nice big hoop nets my buddy was going to bring are only 3' in diameter. Hard to compete when a 5' hoop plops down a few feet right in front of my little fella (I have hoop envy).

Alright, here's the report: fish were said to be a little slow on the incoming this morning, however the outgoing produced pretty well. I'd say folks who were there through the whole tide probably got 5-10+ fish apiece if they had the right gear. The incoming this afternoon also began to produce for most folks, pretty much everyone but us. So, I figure if the com guys are off the water, and you have the proper gear, and you put in a couple of tide swings, you'd pick up a pretty fair number of fish.

I'm going to invest in a 5' hoop with a cross handle (and I might sneak off to Chitina in the meanwhile before the summer's out).
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Bummer, man. Thanks for the report, though.

If you get the big 5' hoop, and go to Chitina, leave it at home. Copper River currents will tear a big net like that right outta your hands.

Nice limmerick, though....lol.

We went this morning (Sat.) and fished for 2 hours. We got 3, but it was very slow going. There were also 4-6 seals milling around out in the middle, for what it's worth.

At least I have dinner for tonight...fresh reds!

Ditto on the 5 footer in Chitina. Took my galvanized steel hoop there a few years ago. It has a quarter sprial twist now and sits about 30 degrees off clock from the handle.

Plenty of info in this forum about Chitina suitable nets.

went dipping at the mouth of kasilof yesterday. got 36 in about 12 hrs. majority got caught in the early morning. the fish are much bigger than previous runs this year.

forgot to mention lots of other people were catching too!

Which bank were you fishing, north or south?

I'm working on a plan B to a Kenai dipnetting trip starting tomorrow.

HEY! No fair resurrecting this thread, with my dismal dipnetting effort (although the limerick is good), especially in the light of all the CATCHING going on! Don't worry, I'm gonna have a good report soon enough and maybe, if you're lucky, a new limerick to go along with it. So there.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    Seventeen sockeye swam into my net,
    Seventeen sockeye as big as they get.
    They escaped the com boats,
    But I cut their little throats.
    Seventeen sockeye their maker have met.

Ok, so I didn't really get 17 and the commercial boats weren't even out, and the one (yeah, that's right, what about it?) I did get wasn't all that big.
    Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story....or limerick

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story....or limerick
    Thanks Wyatt! I feel better about my escapade. Those Kenai reds won't have a chance when I get down there next week!

-Nick