Thread: Salmon Roe

Default Salmon Roe

Does anyone ever cook roe?? I was thinking about cooking it but didn't know how? Any recipes or suggestions?

Ive never cooked it but it is excellent to eat raw!

A friend of mine used to love a small amount put in with his scrambled eggs. I didn't really care for it but that is his favorite way to eat scrambled eggs.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Default Thanks

Thanks...I was thinking of adding in some onions or chives in with the scrambled eggs and then the roe...hum.

I have prepared the same way I do pan fried fish in the past. Just bread and fry.

Was pretty good, tasted like fish with a different texture.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Default deep fry

I have also heard of people taking the eggs(they used king and pink eggs due to size) and deep frying them. The eggs were single(no longer on the skien). They deep fry them, put them on paper towel and sprinkle with salt. They told me it was like fish flavored popcorn.

could you smoke the roe??? if so what brine do you put on them
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

Default mak'aq

Villagers out here in bush Alaska just add the roe to their chowders and fish soups, some just eat it boiled. Also it is used for traditional dessert dishes, like "mak'aq", ingredients include aged salmon eggs, seal oil, salmon berries and sugar. This dessert dish is an acquired taste as you probably would have guessed after seeing the ingredient list. I have had it a few times and it is real tasty, good stuff.

Anyone ever try canning some salmon roe in jars?

Default 2die4

Quote Originally Posted by stetsoncoltoutdoors View Post
    could you smoke the roe??? if so what brine do you put on them
    I brined mine with 2 cups salt, 1 cup each brown and white sugar, allspice, bay leaves, sage and rosemary, smoked them for a few hours and they came out a bit sticky and hard. I then put them through the blender and got a creamy gravy that was heavenly. It was too rich for us to finish it then and there so I froze it and have no idea what it'll be like once defrosted....

Default Fresh Roe

Here is a picture of a batch of fresh roe I made this last week from eggs collected on our last dipnetting adventure. The eggs were small and tight and a little difficult to clean up, but the caviar came out good. For this batch I used BrownBear's brine time recommendation of 8 minutes for sockeye eggs and the taste turned out perfect. I need to find a beter method for removing the membrane material. I use hot water and that helps, but it takes so much time to pick and rinse the little white pieces out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i just did some chum roe that is the best batch i have made. after separating the eggs by pushing them through a toy tennis racket i stirred them in pernod for about a minute before dropping them (along with the pernod) into a 100% brine for just under a minute. stirred them gently for 55 seconds, then let them drain for 8 hours in the cooler. slightly "poppy" in the mouth, with a buttery texture and clean slightly salty pernod flavor.
    chum run is done... gonna have to cure some pink or coho roe... have a little absinthe i want to try...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/