Thread: sheep hunt question

Default sheep hunt question

I just had a question about Alaska sheep hunting, Are there any other places around fairbanks to find legal rams besides the TMA or DCUA? I am planning on hunting next season and I was just curious as to why we only hear post from sheep hunters in these areas. I was thinking of hiking/scouting this summer into unit 13E but I was interested in hearing from others if it is worth putting in the leather and time in other units or just waiting for the draw in the more popular units.

Quote Originally Posted by onehook View Post
    I just had a question about Alaska sheep hunting, Are there any other places around fairbanks to find legal rams besides the TMA or DCUA? I am planning on hunting next season and I was just curious as to why we only hear post from sheep hunters in these areas. I was thinking of hiking/scouting this summer into unit 13E but I was interested in hearing from others if it is worth putting in the leather and time in other units or just waiting for the draw in the more popular units.
    You'll find people are generally pretty tight lipped about their sheep hunting areas. My advice would be to check it out. In the summer. Check out lots of areas. Don't sit out just cause you didn't draw a coveted 2-4% chance draw tag. If people only sheep hunted when they drew these tags most would never sheep hunt. Pick an area, scout it, hunt it, enjoy your time in the mountains, you'll learn more this way than you could ever hope to learn on here. Just get out there. Don't sit on the sideslines waiting for everything (tags, weather, partners, etc) to align perfectly. Make the most of what you experience and learn from all your scouting. If you end up seeing nothing well then you just elminated some areas that you won't have to waste time scouting next year. Be willing to put in the time, energy, and $$$ to find out were the rams are. Who knows you may find your own honey hole and if thats the case my advice would be mums the words.

Good luck.

Default sheep

Mystic Mountain (wood river drainage) in the Alaska range. You need to get flown in but I have seen a lot of sheep in and around that area.

Default Many places

There are a lot of places, to hunt sheep...

Heres a hint...go on line to ADFG website, look up General harvest Data ( this will tell you hunt area and sheep harvested and percentages ) get a gazetteer and do some home work....Thats all I'm going to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Dustoff View Post
    Mystic Mountain (wood river drainage) in the Alaska range. You need to get flown in but I have seen a lot of sheep in and around that area.
    Is the Dustoff in your name as in medevac helo dustoff? Cause being able to scout sheep on the job is just not friggin fair!!!

Default Scouting from Aircraft

Being in the military, and flying in blackhawks to and from several bombing ranges, I have seen alot of areas both in the AK range and Yukon charley area mountains. However we were NOT scouting, but I did take a GPS w/me.

Default true

Lu, you are correct but it's all in the name of combat training and military assistance (MAST) to the great people of the Alaskan Interior, while at the same time serving to defend the greatest nation on earth. I will be taking another desert vaction during this hunting season, so good luck to you all. Just save one for me for next year.

Godspeed.

Default Harvest stats

Looking up the Harvest stats brought me great satisfaction. I'm going into the Brooks range this year and the unit I've choosen does indeed have a good history.

Tight lipped indeed. I found out there are people in my own town that have been whacking Dall sheep out of the Brooks. If I've met em they ain't talkin.

I guess after the blood sweat and tears a guy needs to protect the sheep grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    You'll find people are generally pretty tight lipped about their sheep hunting areas. My advice would be to check it out. In the summer. Check out lots of areas. Don't sit out just cause you didn't draw a coveted 2-4% chance draw tag. If people only sheep hunted when they drew these tags most would never sheep hunt. Pick an area, scout it, hunt it, enjoy your time in the mountains, you'll learn more this way than you could ever hope to learn on here. Just get out there. Don't sit on the sideslines waiting for everything (tags, weather, partners, etc) to align perfectly. Make the most of what you experience and learn from all your scouting. If you end up seeing nothing well then you just elminated some areas that you won't have to waste time scouting next year. Be willing to put in the time, energy, and $$$ to find out were the rams are. Who knows you may find your own honey hole and if thats the case my advice would be mums the words.

Good luck.
    Really super advice and spot on. My personal take is that a true sheep hunter will enjoy his time in the mountains "hunting for sheep" even if he comes home empty handed but with a great experience. I would recommend you look into the White Mountains just to your north where one can find sheep, moose, bear (B and b) and 'bou. There are lots of hiking trails and lots of room to commune with nature and enjoy the Alaska fall. If you are successful you will have earned your trophy. Good Luck.