Thread: Me or Mechanic?

Default Me or Mechanic?

I will try to keep it short. No matter how high the rpms my prop only turns at 1/10 throttle speed. It almost feels like I am in neutral. Any clue what the problem is? Can a motivated lay person fix this if willing to consult manual? I have a detailed lower unit diagaram.

P.S. I have a 2003 5 HP Suzuki . Thanks in advance

Is your shear pin broken?

grab a beer, and take your prop off nothing to be afraid of. you should see the pin there, unless your motor is different than most.
    It's one of the things you should know how to repair yourself, in case it breaks, you should be able to replace it yourself on the water, so you won't be stranded.
    If it's good, it will be about 1-1.5" long, or if it's broken you will only have one half left there or both parts. If you are on the water, you can put a twig inthere and make it back, but can't load it too much. Most motors have spare pins under the cowlings, check there.
    Vadim

Thanks for the advice. I learned somthing critical. Unfortunately the shear pin was not broken but it is slightly warped and was troublesome to remove. I will replace it and test asap.

also noticed propeller nut was severely cracked in several spots. I guess I should replace that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by elhewman View Post
    also noticed propeller nut was severely cracked in several spots. I guess I should replace that as well.
    man, if the prop nut is cracked, what else could have broken inside.
    put it in gear, hold the top of the crank, and turn the prop by hand, see if it slips or grinds, should be solid contact, when in gear.

could you have spun the hub in the prop?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by olympic runner View Post
    could you have spun the hub in the prop?
    MY exactfirst thought....

a spun hub will DRASTCALLYreduce yor power. it cn be rebuilt for a smaller fee then buying a new one..... BUT!!!!... gobuy a new one and rebuild the old one and keep it on board... once i spun 3 in one summer. simply helping other guys out and TOWING them home. you can ove work it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

http://store.brownspoint.com/pdf/DT5(99-01).pdf

Dont think there is a hub to spin...

Quote Originally Posted by vadimb View Post
    man, if the prop nut is cracked, what else could have broken inside.
    put it in gear, hold the top of the crank, and turn the prop by hand, see if it slips or grinds, should be solid contact, when in gear.
    Please do the above test with the motor off!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Please do the above test with the motor off!
    Yes, but I think you can duplicate the problem better with the motor running .

Default thanx

Thanks for all the input. I replaced hub,hub nut, and shear pin. Motor runs great and I learned something new. Thanks again.